Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Jay Leno and other celebs take delivery of first production Challengers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008 | 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Jay Leno and other celebs take delivery of first production Challengers.

Dodge Challenger SRT8 Goes Hollywood

Jay Leno was the first celebrity to take delivery of a new Dodge Challenger SRT8.

Date posted: 06-04-2008
www.edmunds.com

ROSAMOND, California — Snoop Dogg, Carmen Electra, David Spade and Luke Wilson were among a dozen Hollywood celebrities who drove the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in a special event at Willow Springs International Raceway as Dodge began deliveries of the car to new owners. The celebs competed against one another in a series of eighth-mile drag races and then drove laps of the 2.5-mile road racing track.

"We had so many inquiries from people in Hollywood about buying a new Challenger that we decided to organize a little event," said Mike Accavitti, director of Dodge Brand and SRT Communications. "It's great when you have something that people really want."

Dodge had already received purchase inquires about the Challenger from Snoop Dogg, Carmen Electra and David Spade among others, and so organized an event with New Regency, a Hollywood film and television production company, to provide a list of celebrities that cut across a wide range of demographic groups. The full list of attendees included: Chace Crawford, Snoop Dogg, Carmen Electra, Rob Lowe, Kimberley and Brad Paisley, Audrina Patridge, Jamie Pressly, David Spade and Luke Wilson, plus Amare Stoudemire of the NBA's Phoenix Suns.

Though this Hollywood-style event seems frivolous, it points out the Challenger has been built to reintroduce the Dodge brand to demographic groups that have forgotten it. This is particularly true in the Los Angeles region, perhaps the most competitive and brand-conscious in the nation.

As sales statistics from R.L. Polk reveal, Dodge represented only 1.5 percent of the car market in the L.A. region during 2007, some 1,723 cars. Dodge trucks and SUVs had 3.1 percent of the region's market in 2007, some 2,614 vehicles. During that time, the total L.A. market accounted for 195,717 sales of cars and trucks. This is serious business, as California represented 8.04 percent of Dodge's total nationwide sales (exclusive of fleet purchases) of 1,057,814 vehicles during 2007.

Of the celebs in attendance, actor Luke Wilson (who was conspicuous in his lack of entourage), seemed most interested in the car rather than self-promotion. "When the Challenger appeared at the car show I was ready to get one, so it's been a long wait," he said. Wilson spent some time talking about the car with the SRT representatives on hand, apparently eager to work on his launch technique for the drag racing competition.

As it turned out, Jay Leno actually became the first new Challenger owner on Monday, June 2, when he drove his own 1970 Dodge Challenger to Valley Dodge in Van Nuys, California, to pick up his black 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8. "I can't believe he didn't light up the tires as he drove out of the dealership," said Dodge Communications Manager Howard Teasley. "Leno showed more self-control than I would." Hollywood celebrities are all well and good, but Leno's garage still comes first to carmakers around the world. As one Dodge representative said to us, "It's kind of like the automotive equivalent of being chosen by Oprah's book club."

What this means to you: The Dodge Challenger has been built to sell the Dodge brand, not muscle cars. And apparently even Hollywood celebs, the most brand-conscious creatures in the known universe, have picked up the buzz. — Michael Jordan, Executive Editor

Snoop Dogg gets his.

So does Luke Wilson.

And Rob Lowe.

David Spade.

Audrina Partridge.

The next shipment of 2008 SRT8s is ready to go too. 2009 production starts next month.
Old 06-06-2008 | 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Cant wait to see my first. Awesome car.
Old 06-06-2008 | 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That bastard leno already got a ZR1, yellow if I remember the pics right.
Old 06-06-2008 | 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BanditTA
That bastard leno already got a ZR1, yellow if I remember the pics right.
he might of ordered one but he doesn't have it yet

i guess no celebs like the silver challengers ?
Old 06-06-2008 | 07:43 PM
Banned

Man , look at that bunch of REAL MUSCLE cars . And their made right here in the good ole USA . Not in Australia or Mexico or Canada . Oops ! I may have mis-spoke . My bad !
Old 06-06-2008 | 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ they are madee in Canada
Old 06-06-2008 | 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
^^^ they are madee in Canada
better than japan
Old 06-07-2008 | 12:41 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Cool news about the celebs driving Challengers.

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
better than japan

No matter how ya slice it, Canada is still part of North America.
Old 06-07-2008 | 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like Luke Wilson, Snoop Dogg and Robb Lowe had to pool their cash to get just ONE cause they are all sitting in the same car. (notice the fingerprints on the Apillar) hahah

I guess they were just driving a 'try it out" car.
Old 06-07-2008 | 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

damn, cant wait to see one on the road.
Old 06-07-2008 | 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Audrina Partridge is hottt.
Old 06-08-2008 | 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Audrina Partridge is hottt.
yeah i don't know who she is but I'd take her in the back seat of her challenger any day
Old 06-08-2008 | 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

^^^^ what he said
Old 06-08-2008 | 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1fastz
damn, cant wait to see one on the road.
yea. theres already 1 in houston. it drew a pretty large crowd when the owner pulled up. i went and had a look. very very large car. the top of the trunk is higher than the roof line on my z28.!! as i was walking back to my car it made me realize really how small our f-bodies are!!
Old 06-08-2008 | 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
yea. theres already 1 in houston. it drew a pretty large crowd when the owner pulled up. i went and had a look. very very large car. the top of the trunk is higher than the roof line on my z28.!! as i was walking back to my car it made me realize really how small our f-bodies are!!
It seems like cars in general have been getting progressively larger, though.
Old 06-08-2008 | 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its to fit all the wiring for the useless electronics that the lazy spoiled masses request.

Did Kowalski need GPS navigation and heated seats? NOO!

Can't we just leave the gadgets for the minivans?
Old 06-08-2008 | 06:27 PM

Pretty amazing cars, the black looks awesome. Very sinister looking car, cant wait to see my first 5th gen.
Old 06-08-2008 | 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes. It's because of increased safety regulations and consumer's desire for more room. A new Civic is the size of the Accord from ten years ago.
Old 06-08-2008 | 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

How the hell did Audrina from some dumb mtv show get to be one of the first to get a challenger?
Old 06-08-2008 | 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
How the hell did Audrina from some dumb mtv show get to be one of the first to get a challenger?
Hot + $$$$ = get anything you want

Quick Reply: Jay Leno and other celebs take delivery of first production Challengers.