Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Saving GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saving GM

I see some mentioning the Volt. The other night a program was on called Saving GM. I found it quite interesting. They also discuss the Volt. You can click on the link and play each video section.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/25349480
Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good view.

GM needs more than the volt to save their bacon. When was the last time a GM commercial held your interest? I'm not even aware of what models GM offers these days.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

I'm a bit concerned with GM. When they mentioned that GM's future depends on the Volt, I was thinking, "ut oh."
Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JosephIV
When was the last time a GM commercial held your interest?
Actually, the Malibu commercials where people kept running into the older models but because they were practically invisible but suddenly noticed/loved the new model were pretty good.
The truck ads rock (no pun intended (like a rock) ).
The G8 commercials are eye catching.
And ANY Cadillac commercial.

ALL GM commercials hold my interest because 1) it's a legendary and large American corporation with a very rich and illustrious history in this great nation which I love unconditionally and 2) I'm a stockholder who also owns a couple of their cars.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Question

I'm not even aware of what models GM offers these days.
No?
You are a performance car enthusiast correct? I only make this assumption because you are posting on a car enthusiast board right now.
And yet you're not aware of the:

Corvette
Corvette Z06
Corvette ZR1
Pontiac G8 GT (and upcoming GXP model)
Pontiac Soltice and Solstice GXP
Saturn Sky and Sky Redline
Chevrolet Cobalt SS
Chevrolet Trailblazer SS
Cadillac CTS and CTS-V
Cadillac XLR and XLR-V
Cadillac STS and STS-V
Upcoming Camaro line

etc?

It is quite interesting that you're unaware of all these awesome vehicles, not to mention the rest of their also excellent 'non performance related' models, perhaps you need to be a little more alert/observant/perceptive, maybe it's not GM's fault?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good view.

GM needs more than the volt to save their bacon. When was the last time a GM commercial held your interest? I'm not even aware of what models GM offers these days.
I completely agree, i think all of the japs have better advertising and marketing than GM. Those stupid commercials where its just the car with a background that is blue or some other color are freaking amateur. I could make those commercials. Like the commercial when the malibu just came out and its just a malibu CGI'ed on some stupid screen flying around is ridiculous. Cadillac is the only one who has decent commercials out of GM IMO
Old 09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

anybody notice alllll the toyota comercials ran during that show??

You are a performance car enthusiast correct?
not every one here is that, or has to be that,,, to be on here..im here cause i love Trans Ams,,thats it..not LS1's, not Vettes, Camaros, GTO's, im not a racer, im not trying to be a huge HP car, etc. I do gain alot of knowledge on things i didnt or dont know here though,,,I understand what that person meant by

I'm not even aware of what models GM offers these days.
not all the models you listed are in a comercial,,,hell are any of em other than the G8?,,i watch TV, and thats about the only one i can remember seeing, i didnt know about Z06's until i became a member of this board in 05,, and im 36 years old! So his statement IS a valid one. Just because there are a vast number of "experts" on here,,, dosnt mean everyone here is one

Old 09-18-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bob Lutz was on THE COLBERT REPORT last nite discussing the VOLT.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
not every one here is that, or has to be that,,, to be on here..im here cause i love Trans Ams,,thats it..not LS1's, not Vettes, Camaros, GTO's, im not a racer, im not trying to be a huge HP car, etc. I do gain alot of knowledge on things i didnt or dont know here though,,,I understand what that person meant by

not all the models you listed are in a comercial,,,hell are any of em other than the G8?,,i watch TV, and thats about the only one i can remember seeing, i didnt know about Z06's until i became a member of this board in 05,, and im 36 years old! So his statement IS a valid one. Just because there are a vast number of "experts" on here,,, dosnt mean everyone here is one

I expect that train of thought from the general Ford Crown Victoria driving public but not from someone who's been on this board a while and/or owns a high performance car...though you're right in one respect, there is no law that states what car info we must and must not know in order to be able to post on these boards either.
I guess it is possible for one to be employed by say, a supermarket/food store and yet still not know what milk or eggs are but I would still have to question the alertness or coherency of someone who actually walked through life that way, no offense.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 09-19-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

none taken.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think GM should spend more money on marketing. Toyota's cars are giant pieces of ****, but their ads are ******* everywhere, and people eat it up like spaghetti and meatballs.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

GM = Titanic

It's only a matter of time.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

I might be wrong, but i think GM placed a lot of stock in their truck/suv platforms and rode that wave out too long. Now with the growing concerns of rising fuel costs the American public is looking for vehicles that have decent power but are still good with gas mileage, unfortunately Gm just doent have a wide selection of these (the g8 gt, the impala ss) Hell the New Hyundai genesis has 375hp weird. this is just my two cents but like i said i might be wrong
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
I think GM should spend more money on marketing. Toyota's cars are giant pieces of ****, but their ads are ******* everywhere, and people eat it up like spaghetti and meatballs.
Agreed.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BlackTTC6
GM = Titanic

It's only a matter of time.
Disagreed.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wait till they bring over the Beat and Cruz, V6 camaro line (if the thousands of mustangs give any clue), and (i hope) the Volt. The damn truck stuff is holding them back and with the current economy its gonna be slow for them. but if i had the money id be buying their stock right now.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Codprice
but if i had the money id be buying their stock right now.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich2279
I'm a bit concerned with GM. When they mentioned that GM's future depends on the Volt, I was thinking, "ut oh."
Me too. Don't get me wrong... with ga$ and peak oil problems... VOLT is a good idea... but I don't think it alone will save GM.

GM is going to need to streamline and cut it's non-profitable divisions.

They are also going to need innovative products that are better their competitors.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Just heard today that 14 GM dealerships shut down.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i see gm sinking big time.. the zr1 is fantastic but elts face it, not many are being made and it wont save them.. they need to sell a peoples car and the civic and all is jsut kicking their ***.

Quick Reply: Saving GM