Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Sloppy shifter normal??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy shifter normal??

I just got my pride and joy, a 28k mile 2005 V in showroom condition! I'm wondering about the sloppiness of the stock shifter, I can barely find reverse...is this normal?? Please steer me in the right direction and I'm also looking for advise for the K&N FIPK or just the filter alone. The prior owner installed a Corsa exhaust, so that part's covered.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the purchase. The shifter problems are really common and your symptoms are the same as most here. You need to purchase a short shift kit (Katech, B&M, UUC) AND shifter bushings from Lindsay Cadillac (talk to Luke at Lindsay).

After installing my B&M, reverse was much easier to find and shifting is a whole world better. Do a search on here, this has been beat to death before with discussions!

Enjoy the V!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think a thread a few down from this has it covered. Look there.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Sweet, thanks guys! Is there a "better" shifter out there?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Its subjective....Ive heard no complaints at all other than the price for the UUC. I have the B&M which is about 1/2 the price of the UUC but it is a bit noisy...almost like a stethoscope for transmission noise. It's tamed down quite a bit when insulated with dynamat or other types of sound deadener.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deedubb
Its subjective....Ive heard no complaints at all other than the price for the UUC. I have the B&M which is about 1/2 the price of the UUC but it is a bit noisy
My katech is right in the middle. Great feel and no added noise. Little cheaper than the uuc also.
Any choice is a good one in this case.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

I also have the Katech and am very pleased. Got a really good deal on mine. Brand new, the guy bought it, sold the car and never put the shifter in.

When you do the shifter, replace the shifter mount bushings with UUC bushings. If you go to cadillac forums you can find Luke. He's the go to guy for anything V related.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not too bothered by the stock shifter but I just installed the K&N fipk and i have to say you can't feel a ton of difference. I am sure the more you do the more it will help. Def added a little grunt to the exhaust tone which was a good thing. Check around I got mine for 260 shipped new.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sloppy? That's pretty much a compliment from what I called the stock shifter. I went B&M and bushings, had some noise, added Holden shifter **** and boot and no more noise. The shifter is the first thing every V driver should swap. You have little connection with the car with that thing flopping around.

Quick Reply: Sloppy shifter normal??