Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What is a fair price for a magnacharger now-a-days?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a fair price for a magnacharger now-a-days?

Best quote I have received was $5500, anyone know of a dealer/vendor willing to work a deal now for the investment of a return customer later?

Also, anyone seen this install? Was searching the forums for other blower kits and ran across this install.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforu...hread.php?t=69
Old 03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good question, also how much installed for the whole deal......was lookign to do this on my car as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

installed seems to float around 8k.

I'm trying to spend 5-6k now and do the install in a few months once the wallet can afford another 5-6k in mods
Old 03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea 8 is a little much right now, might try and get one and see if I could do it myself but also might be better to just get it done at a shop. Time to do some thinkin.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
Best quote I have received was $5500, anyone know of a dealer/vendor willing to work a deal now for the investment of a return customer later?

Also, anyone seen this install? Was searching the forums for other blower kits and ran across this install.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforu...hread.php?t=69
I can't see the pictures, but they are talking about a TVS1900 - the blower on the '09 V. That is going to be much more $ than the standard MP112 that most of us run.

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
installed seems to float around 8k.

I'm trying to spend 5-6k now and do the install in a few months once the wallet can afford another 5-6k in mods
$5500 is pretty much the going price for a brand new kit.

If you're quoted $2500 by a shop for the install, RUN THE OTHER WAY.

Now if you're getting a polished maggie, I can see the whole thing being $8k with installation and a custom tune.

The install shouldn't cost you more than $1000 at a competent shop. If you want a custom tune instead of using the Magnuson canned tune, expect to shell out another $500.

FWIW, if you have a place to work for about 10 hours, a buddy, and a set of tools, I recommend saving yourself the $1000 by installing it on your own. It's not a difficult job, and it was the only way I was going to buy a maggie. I got a remanufactured one directly from Magnuson for $4500 and then installed it myself. I got a custom tune after that because the Magnuson one was trash, so it cost me just under $5000 for everything.

If you're interesting in a remanufactured unit, call up Magnuson and see if they have any laying around - you'll save a $1000 and still get a warranty.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, great info, why not get a remanufactured if you get a warranty. doesnt matter to me I cant say its brand new as long as it does what its supposed to.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

I scoured ebay for the re-manned units the past few days. Sent them an email too, hopefully they have one laying around and I will pounce on it.

The 8k guess came from what a lot of shops list on their sites for an installed maggie turnkey type situation. That was also with quotes from shops ranging from 6200-6800 for a maggie!

I would love to turn my own wrench but I just don't have the time or place. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Called magnuson, best they could do was 5500 shipped on a new one. Computer has to be shipped to be recalibrate. Wonder how much cheaper a vendor gets it. 5k?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Doesn't anyone put anything on themselves these days? It has to be one of the easier installs. Takes common tools, a couple hours in the garage and your own time, not whenever they get to it. And most of all it saves a lot of money.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Launching!

I would have tried mine myself too, but it came already installed. If you can change an intake, and operate a calculator(diablo tuner), you can do it yourself. AND, I'm pretty sure it's going to have some detailed instructions. Saves $2500, I'd try it myself.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

As I said before, I'd wrench but I live in an condo and the management ain't so keen on it.

Anyone have an idea what vendors are able to get this unit for? Magnuson asked if I was a vendor or a regular joe. Besides being very depressed that I was a regular joe, I was informed that in 5 days time I could have that kit shipped to me for $5500. So what kind of leeway is built into the baseprice on this kit? I'm not saying the vendor doesn't deserve a few bucks but if they can get the kit for $4750, I wanna pay 5k!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnynjsn
... It has to be one of the easier installs. Takes common tools, a couple hours in the garage and your own time ...
No single step is that difficult, but "a couple of hours?" I did my own install all by my lonesome, and there's no way anybody could get it done in a couple of hours.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rand49er
No single step is that difficult, but "a couple of hours?" I did my own install all by my lonesome, and there's no way anybody could get it done in a couple of hours.
A couple of hours at one shot?! Maybe about 4.

There are some installation steps that can be done, say during the week after work that wont "down" your vehicle. Bracket locations, throttle body trimming, adding larger fuse, and locating and running the wires for the pcm. If you do all of that before you remove intake and valley, it shouldnt take longer than four hours. You just have to study the installation manual and see what can be done before the actual engine modification.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -T-

There are some installation steps that can be done, say during the week after work that wont "down" your vehicle. Bracket locations, throttle body trimming, adding larger fuse, and locating and running the wires for the pcm. If you do all of that before you remove intake and valley, it shouldnt take longer than four hours. You just have to study the installation manual and see what can be done before the actual engine modification.
Heck, it takes a couple hours to let the silicone set up on the knock sensor wires. Plus, you have to drain and remove the rad, install the HEX (which needed custom brackets in my case), lift the maggie and set into place without boogering it up or your fenders, plumb everything over/under/around the SC, button everything back up, purge the intercooler system of air, finally check everything to make sure you didn't forget or miss anything, not to mention throw in the tune. Four hours of down time? Doing it by yourself?

Sure, there's a lot of adrenaline flowing in your veins due to the anticipation of driving the beast, but I gotta hand it to you, you're either a better man than I am, in sales, or both.

Last edited by rand49er; 03-15-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -T-

There is no running wires to the PCM involved.

I know what you're saying about doing steps ahead of time, but you're overlooking a lot. I trimmed the throttle body, did the wiper arm mod (PITA), ran the power line under the car for the magnavolt, AND labeled all the wires/hoses I would be touching a couple days before the actual install. Those are really the only steps that can be done ahead of time, short of assembling the intercooler tank and pump, but that only takes 3 minutes.

I did those steps prior to the install day, and it still took me and a buddy the better part of 9 hours to finish the rest and have the car running again.

Removing the intake, prepping the valley, and installing the supercharger was not very time consuming. All of the electrical wiring, fuel line & evap mods, and hose running takes up a lot more time that you realize. Heck, I probably spent at least an hour and a half getting the hoses and wires where I wanted them, especially the ones that run around the rear pulleys & belt.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Hoses and wiring is no issue for me. I used to be an Avionics Electrician in a Military Depo Facility.... routing and terminating wires. Its almost second nature. As well as following bulletins and tech data. I may be more skilled in that aspect, but like i said; study the installation manual. You will know exactly what needs to be done and when.

I was a helping hand to a guy i work with who has a G35 coupe. We put a Greddy TT kit in his coupe in 5-1/2 hours.

Quick Reply: What is a fair price for a magnacharger now-a-days?