Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

uuc short shifter just arrived, please give input

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uuc short shifter just arrived, please give input

i just got the uuc short shifter in today and i havent got my car in yet that i purchased, 2005 cts v, blk/blk no sunroof.

well before i get this uuc shifter installed,

anythng you guys recommend to install along with the short shifter?

i heard additional bushing? or am i hearing wrong??

btw how is the uuc shift **** the aluminum with leather? is it worth it, or just keep the oem
Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

car comes in friday!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the UUC bushings, too. The stockers really get a bit ragged even after as little as 20k miles. I'd post up some pics of the ones I removed when I did my B&M and the bushings, but they're on another computer.

Shifter = best mod, hands down.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

where do i get the UUC bushing?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call Luke Butler at Lindsay Cadillac (Alexandria, VA) at 703-824-9670. Tell him you heard about him on LS1tech.com from rand49er. Maybe he'll give me $1 off on my next mod. j/k
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man..

another question i do have..

approx. how much does it cost to get the UUC short shifter installed?

any shops in atlanta area or sorrounding??
Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

If you don't want to do it yourself I'd guess around $120. It'll take about 2-3 hrs.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seriously just do it yourself. There's a good writeup around that goes into quite a bit of detail, but here's some pictures of my install. Also, you most definitely should go with the bushings as well.

Originally Posted by Unsafe At Any Speed
Finally got around to taking out the POS stock shifter in this car to replace it with my UUC short throw shifter.

First step was to pull the center console:

Then unbolt the stock shifter from the console and linkage:

The new shifter has to weigh about three times more than stock. Here's the UUC unit on the left:

Then I needed to transfer over some of the old hardware and reinstall:

I also had some UUC poly bushings to replace the sloppy rubber stockers. No need to even say which is which:

Everything reinstalled except the boot and ****:

From underneath the car:

Impressions... The difference is amazing. As said before the stocker is a POS. Especially with those shitty rubber bushings. Really sloppy feel to it. Now everything is so much more crisp and smooth. Easier to find the gears. Alot quicker shifts. Really a night and day difference. Many people say this is the one must have mod. I'm definatly happy with it thus far.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just realized, that's missing the part about having to drill out the old rivets. Not a big deal though.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

i wish it was as easy as you took pictures
i think i might mess up..
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't take out the console either.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by original786
btw how is the uuc shift **** the aluminum with leather? is it worth it, or just keep the oem
It is a nice heavy shift **** and gives that bolt action rifle feel when shifting from what I've heard. Only dislike of the leather wrapped one is the ridiculous price of it. The other one (UUC O-ring) resembles male anatomy too much and most don't like it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deedubb
It is a nice heavy shift **** and gives that bolt action rifle feel when shifting from what I've heard. Only dislike of the leather wrapped one is the ridiculous price of it. The other one (UUC O-ring) resembles male anatomy too much and most don't like it.
I installed the uuc shifter and bushings last fall before storing the car for the winter. I purchased the leather wrapped uuc stainless steel shifter ****. It is made to fit on the shifter, and has a set screw to secure it. It is heavy and gives a very positive feel when shifting. Although expensive, like most parts for these cars, I recommend it. The original is a joke in comparision, and you will not be disappointed.

The shifter comes with complete directions for installation. It recommends dropping the exhaust to make the install easier.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I bumped into a kid that lives near me the other day that just got a V. He did a B&M shifter. I want UUC the whole way, but can not stop thinking about it. He let me do a test shift, I couldn't believe the difference, and I know UUC would make a better product.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

ahahnu: From most people point of view the UUC isn't a "positive" feeling as the B&M or Katech. Plus there are tons of B&M's on the rode with little to no problems.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unsafe - you were able to install the shifter and bushings w/out lowering the trans and all that jazz? I have been wanting to install my UUC shifter/bushings, but I haven't been looking forward to pulling the exhaust and lowering the tranny (as mentioned on the CadillacFAQ).
Old 03-18-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Unsafe - you were able to install the shifter and bushings w/out lowering the trans and all that jazz? I have been wanting to install my UUC shifter/bushings, but I haven't been looking forward to pulling the exhaust and lowering the tranny (as mentioned on the CadillacFAQ).
Unless you've got hands like Rosie O'Donnell's, you don't need to lower the exhaust/tranny. Just make sure you bevel the leading edge of the UUC bushings and grease 'em up real well prior to install.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Yeah, I think there's a writeup on the other forum, but the pictures are dead last I checked. I didn't go into much detail in my post, but that's pretty much all there is to it.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Installed my Katech w/UUC bushings in less than 2 hours without lowering anything. Very easy install. Definately rifle bolt action. Love it.

Quick Reply: uuc short shifter just arrived, please give input