Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

If you had it to do over...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psycho43142
No, I should have none better, it's just another under engineered GM product. All the power in the world is useless if you can't get it to the ground effectively, or are in constant fear of what is next to break.
Originally Posted by rottnrog
No, I would have waited on the Pontiac G8 GXP.

In fact I may still trade for one.
This is what I figured! Thanks guys, good info.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

hell yeah i would again, and i paid $52k sticker back in august 2004. The v is like a hot biotch, some issues, but after you get done riding, er i mean driving, her all is forgotten. All the haterz need to fug off and buy hyundais, as i hear they never break, break 50mph that is-lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -T-
I've had mine less than a month so my opinion doesn't really matter too much. But... i would buy her again in a heart beat. I'm in love with my V. I didn't buy a cadillac to run down the 1/4 so most of the rear issues are somewhat unlikely. The car has 57K and still the original diff. carrier. Not a peep...
I just want a fast, fun car. I'm not looking at this to be a typical caddy if I wanted a luxury car I would just go for a deville or something. I want something classy, that will flat run! I like the GTO but I only really like black exteriors and the GTO's have that damn red accent on the inside those cars and I personally think it looks trashy. The appeal of the V is that it is more classy in appearance, and nobody expects a caddy to be a fast sports car.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motha

Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Default Yes

yesssssss :d
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes i would do it again but buy a ugly *** goat if you dont like the v. they all look the same and run like ***. i have yet to see one on the street that im like holy **** that was fast. and if you want the gxp be prepared to drop some money for a plain looking g8 gt with a gxp badge on it. you might get some resale value out of it since gm dropped pontiac down the toilet. i hate talking people out of v's but please dont get one if we have to hear 3 months down the road how much of a pos you bought because it wheel hops. everyone knows the rear isn't solid but if you can't drive or drive like a *****, something will break. any car you do substantial mods to will have a rear problem, whether its half shafts(03 cobra) or the diff in the V. if you want a FAST car buy a 5.0 mustang where the parts are 1/3 the rpice and m ake a 9 second car for 10k because it can be done.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ncgamedog
I just want a fast, fun car. I'm not looking at this to be a typical caddy if I wanted a luxury car I would just go for a deville or something. I want something classy, that will flat run! I like the GTO but I only really like black exteriors and the GTO's have that damn red accent on the inside those cars and I personally think it looks trashy. The appeal of the V is that it is more classy in appearance, and nobody expects a caddy to be a fast sports car.
Pontiac won't even be around next year!! Cadillac will always out class Pontiac and just how rare a V is should be enough to want to own one.

Don't be one of those people that say I could of had a V!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Can you guys HONESTLY say you'd buy another 1st Gen V today instead of a G8 or a C5/C6?

I LOVE the V, but I'm not willing to drive a time bomb.
The G8 is supposed to have a strong rear and has stands up to the abuse.
Guys have picked up new G8's for $24k and used ones in the high teens.
Installed blower packages are selling for around $6k.

Would you REALLY chose the V over the G8 is you could start all over again today? Why?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 427C5
Can you guys HONESTLY say you'd buy another 1st Gen V today instead of a G8 or a C5/C6?

Would you REALLY chose the V over the G8 is you could start all over again today? Why?
Yes because i dont drag race or care to launch my car regularly. The g8 is new (might have problems) it is still a Pontiac and it is way more expensive than a 05 with a warranty. Why would you buy a g8 when you could by a c6? or go buy a hundai genesis why don't ya. Or srt8 of tbss.

G8's are ok i like them but they are no V especially dollar for dollar. Go to a car meet and see which one turns heads Or just take a cruise through town and see how many people ask WTF is that caddy Priceless

Remember diffs exploding are not that common. You always hear the bad stories never the good
Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know man.
Every owner I have spoken to is at least on their 2nd rear.
As far as abuse, the V was marketed as a sports car and it should handle being driven like one.
The last time I blew up a rear it was on a 1-2 shift, on the street, with OEM street tires. It wasn't a CTS-V, it was a 96 F-body.
But, it just goes to show that you don't have to be doing donuts or running slicks to break a rear.
After that experience, I swore I'd never own another car with a weak rear.

Do I wish the V came with a bulletproof rear from GM or that I could have a Madman rear installed in a used V for $2,000? Yeah. Sure.

But, I'd rather buy a 2010 Camaro/G8/Corvette that all have proven rears or take that $7,000 for a Madman rear and use it as a down payment on a 2009 CTS-V.

I'm not trying to **** in anyone's Cheerios.
I'm just being honest.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brentman2007
Yes because i dont drag race or care to launch my car regularly. The g8 is new (might have problems) it is still a Pontiac and it is way more expensive than a 05 with a warranty. Why would you buy a g8 when you could by a c6? or go buy a hundai genesis why don't ya. Or srt8 of tbss.

G8's are ok i like them but they are no V especially dollar for dollar. Go to a car meet and see which one turns heads Or just take a cruise through town and see how many people ask WTF is that caddy Priceless

Remember diffs exploding are not that common. You always hear the bad stories never the good
+1 on that

At a cruise-in the other day and this kid was going crazy over my V because he said some video game he plays has them in it. He said mine was the first real one he ever seen!!! Priceless!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am with you on the C6, not C5, as if you do not need the rear seat, the C6 is my choice over a V---with that said, I own both, so thankfully never had to make that choice. The C6 is impressive, much better performance and handling than V. Here is my pros of cons on a V:

PROS:
1) Pimpin' Caddy, nuff said
2) LS6/LS2 upgrades are cheap
3) Seats 4, well 5 if backrow is full of crack addicts
4) Sleeper, unique, etc...
5) '04s & '05s can be had for as low as $20K

CONS:
1) Glassjaw rear, $8-10K for fix
2) At 4,000lbs, it ain't as fast as you think
3) Once you drive it, you want it, and once you own it you find it tough to part with

I am not a Pontiac fan, realize G8s and GXPs are nice, not sure how low their prices are, but not a Caddy, not a snob neither, but given the choice of similar prices I would rather drive a Caddy.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know man.
As far as abuse, the V was marketed as a sports car and it should handle being driven like one.
The last time I blew up a rear it was on a 1-2 shift, on the street, with OEM street tires. It wasn't a CTS-V, it was a 96 F-body.
But, it just goes to show that you don't have to be doing donuts or running slicks to break a rear.

Do I wish the V came with a bulletproof rear from GM or that I could have a Madman rear installed in a used V for $2,000? Yeah. Sure.

But, I'd rather buy a 2010 Camaro/G8/Corvette that all have proven rears or take that $7,000 for a Madman rear and use it as a down payment on a 2009 CTS-V.

I'm just being honest.
+1, good points, V1 has issues with HP mods, $8K is a damn large price to fully enjoy the car, V1 is underengineered and Caddy never stepped up to fix it, G8 is still out, Camaro has potential but I think V6 base is $24K, used C6s are steals right now, mine is for sales for $25K---NOT!!!

As for the OP, go drive a V, it may inspire you, do not buy it if you are a drag racer, road courses can be tamed by the V, I would not buy a car, or pass judgment without a thorough test drive, so let us know how it goes.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know man.

I'm just being honest.
I think I would call the rear end in a 96 F-body a proven rear end. Any rear end can break and I agree the V is more likely to break than most, but every car has its flaws.

FWIW I am the 2nd owner of my V with 32K miles and still has original rear end.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

57k original rear here too

many many stories like this so why do my cheerios taste like whizz? They were supposed to be honey Nut ROFL
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how many times does it have to be said? DO NOT BUY A V IF YOU WANT A DAMN RACE CAR!!!! if we have to talk you into buying a V then you shouldnt buy it. get what you want and deal with the consequeces when you come across them. Every car has a weak link and the rear is the weak link in the V. how many 25k dollar cars can you honestly say that everything on the car is bulletproof? tranny , motor , rear etc. gonna take you a while to think about that. the g8 is so plain and only an auto(gt), throw 500 to the wheels on it and see if the tranny or rear doesnt go soon enough. anytime you put that kind of power to the ground you have to do basic **** for the car to handle it efficiently. test drive each and buy one then be done with it, kick yourself in the *** later.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
if we have to talk you into buying a V then you shouldnt buy it.
That's exactly what I was just thinking.

If you have driven a CTS-V, you will want to buy one.

If you haven't driven one, go drive one and you will want to buy one.

If you don't think you want one, don't drive one.

Not much else to say here.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Yes and No... Hope that answers your questions
Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Launching!

I don't know man.

I'm just being honest.
YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE....ive owned my v for 13months now and i have had zero issues. i only had wheel hop for like 2 months until i learned how to drive it. ive drag raced it, street and strip bang gears hard. im very competitive and will do whatever it takes to win. unless u own a v and have had theese experiances where do u have room for opinion?

btw. i just hit 56k miles last night. and how many of theese other cars can get 28mpg on the freeway?????? hmmmmm?

Last edited by BOATDOCTOR; 05-13-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -T-
in your tb?????
Turbo buick.