Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help it is gone.....1-2 shift no rearend....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help it is gone.....1-2 shift no rearend....

I read before about someone working on a bullet proof replacement on the rear dif and mine went bye bye. I can only imagine what it would be like with the supercharger. This is a GREAT car but come on why put such a weak dif in it..... Please help anyone.... if there is not a bullet proof replacement IRS is the 2006-07 better than the 2005.

Jimmi
Old 05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimmiB
I read before about someone working on a bullet proof replacement on the rear dif and mine went bye bye. I can only imagine what it would be like with the supercharger. This is a GREAT car but come on why put such a weak dif in it..... Please help anyone.... if there is not a bullet proof replacement IRS is the 2006-07 better than the 2005.

Jimmi
Were you getting wheel hop or did U just slam the gears hard?

do you have any of the anti wheel hop stuff? the bmr bar , bushings or anything?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboCtsV1
much better...04-05 had the basic 6cyl rear.
06-07 had the 8cyl replacement,
along with other needed upgrades.
There was no 8cyl replacement. The v6 cts got the same upgrades.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

did it? does this info make you bite the inside of your cheek?
does it smell like a lamb?
do you also feel the 06 and up 6cyl cars have a better
rear than your stock 04-05?
does it feel good to be so right you make yourself
feel guilty?
I have the upgraded 06-07 rear which has larger cooling fins, more fluid capacity, and a little more material on the ear where the differential mounts to the cradle. No it does not feel so good to be right, only to make you feel wrong.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think it feels better knowing mine came from the factory good to go...
where as you had to go through much anxiety before you got the good stuff.

it's almost like finding out the guy you call daddy really isnt your father.

balleeedat!
No, I'm actually perfectly comfortable knowing that GM made good on their warranty by not only replacing my original differential with an upgraded one, but also by replacing the upgraded one with a new one for whine. Sorry.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did a 1 to 2 shift bang! It sounded amazing....I was also showing off to a chick! Of course!

What's you next move? Aftermarket?

Do you know how to weld?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

much better...04-05 had the basic 6cyl rear.

According to the GM parts catalog the v6 cars have a different part # for the complete diff and for a diff housing alone. So in technicality the 04-05 V's have their own rearend not a v6 car rearend.

But both are designed in the same way so draw your own conclusion.

This doesn't help much with JimmiB's busted rear though! ( new diff updated version = $1634.00 )
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last time I am saying this, both the '04-'05 AND the '06-'07 rears are POS!!!!!!!!!!!!! All Vs, with the stock rears, will explode like a grenade if you launch OR shift hard. I know some will argue this, so test my theory, drive it like you stole it, and be ready to spend about $8K to fix it permanently.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Teching In

i think it feels better knowing mine came from the factory good to go...
where as you had to go through much anxiety before you got the good stuff.

it's almost like finding out the guy you call daddy really isnt your father.

balleeedat!
You are sorely mistaken....even the 06-07's can have issues. Sure, they can take a little more abuse, but they also can still break.

And why you bustin' chops? I sware if I didn't know better, you're looking for a fight.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

One would think that a car that stickers for 50k would have been built with a rear end capable of handling the 400 ponies they shoe horned into it. I guess the engineers took for granted the clientele that would be wielding these steeds.

I have yet to encounter a problem 53k and counting.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CORNER CARVER
One would think that a car that stickers for 50k would have been built with a rear end capable of handling the 400 ponies they shoe horned into it. I guess the engineers took for granted the clientele that would be wielding these steeds.

I have yet to encounter a problem 53k and counting.
Many V1 owners, while under warranty, have had their grenaded rears rejected for replacement at the stealership, and the reason given was agressive driving, or the more advantageous phrase of 'driver abuse'. WHAT A FAWKING JOKE, CADDY SOLD THE V AS A PERFORMANCE CAR, COMPARED ITS PERFORMANCE NUMBERS IN THE SHOWROOM VS. SIMILARLY-EQUIPPED AND PRICED CARS, DID TV COMMERCIALS BRAGGING ABOUT 0-60 IN UNDER FIVE SECONDS, TOLD ITS SALESFORCE TO REFER TO IT AS THE 4-DOOR CORVETTE, ETC...
Maybe GM should stumble into the hell known as total government control,,,
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Jimmb still never filled us in on if he was getting wheel hop while it blew up or if he had any anti wheel hop bars...

also someone asked if he can weld.. Is this fixable with some welding? fill me in ,

(I remeber my old 240sx had the rear diff welded cause i was to poor to buy a lSD lol)
Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Okay guys I said nothing about wheel hop and yes I do have the BMR stuff on it. For those of you that say to break these you have to drive it like a Jacka**. That is wrong!! This happened with a hard shift at 5500. This is a performance car and 5500 is nothing. I Love GM but this is very wrong. I had no leaking, no noise... Just a very poor design. For those that are helping Thanks. There is no defending this rearend but there has to be a fix within reason. The newer vettes have a dual brace fix to strengthen the housing. Looking at what happen it looked like it snaped upward. What about a bracket system that blot to the front like the BMR but on both sides that would run back to the attacment ears in the back of the dif?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks for the replies

By the way I Love that pic. on your user name.

I talked to my friend at a Chevy dealer and I can get a new 07 diff for around a grand, so I will try that way. While I have it on the lift I am going to look at making a support brackets. I will post them if my idea works with pictures of the blown one.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to my friend at a Chevy dealer and I can get a new 07 diff for around a grand, so I will try that way. While I have it on the lift I am going to look at making a support brackets. I will post them if my idea works with pictures of the blown one.

Please make a fix!!! I dont have 8k for a madman
Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Banned

around 1000, that seems cheap?

Is that a major hookup or is that what a 07 diff goes for ??
Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

we lets see the Dif eneded costing me $1600.00 and I figured since the boot got ripped on the half shaft I would replace that $380.00. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the driveshaft is okay. All because GM put in a terrible Dif in this car. For all of those who think it is the driver..... I have read several reiviews on the new Camaro and they keep saying the GM finally put a real Rearend in this car unlike the CTS-V and GTO. Now why would they be saying that if this Rearend was good. Man I hope I am not throwing money into a wasted cause...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

The 2010 Camaro differential is a beefy looking piece. It has two big ears on either side of the yoke, and a lower rear mounting ear. It has rubber mounts in the three ears.

VS

The V having 1 mount up high in the front and two upper ears over the axles.

It would be intresting to see how much power it would take to break a 2010 Camaro rear end?

Do you have any close up pics of the carnage?

Quick Reply: Help it is gone.....1-2 shift no rearend....