Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

First V - Second Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First V - Second Upgrade

Hello everyone, I bought my car a couple of weeks ago and I love it. 2004 Silver V with only 35K miles, and I have to say, this car is addictive. Had to leave it a the dealership for them to replace the engine mount 2 days with out it was crazy long for me. They gave me a cobalt, not exactly the #1 choice. But now I have the V back and enjoying it a lot.

I already have a CAI on it. I was thinking about making the car slightly "louder" more powerful. I drive it daily so a full exhaust upgrade would be too much for me, what is the best bang for the buck upgrade for HP, while still keeping the car reasonable when it comes to how loud it is. My brother is saying I should just go to a muffler shop and remove the resonators as it would be very cheap, but would that actually give me any power? I would like the headers, but sunk most of my cash money on the car itself and don't want to waist the whole summer without some exhaust mod. Basically, is the removal of the resonators worth it at all or is it just a waste of money?

By the way, thank you all for contributing to this forum, I learned a lot about my car by simply searching. A lot of good stuff here.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

I have an idea....Look into QTP cutouts or DMH.

You can have the best of both worlds. Super loud or super stock!

Congrats on getting a V. We have worked on many in the past!

We have blacked out many taillights for them, have any of you guys considered doing this?

We could do a group buy????
Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by edk15
My brother is saying I should just go to a muffler shop and remove the resonators as it would be very cheap, but would that actually give me any power?
It might free up a couple but nothing to write home about. Alot of the guys are pulling the resonators and putting in a X pipe and installing some bigger tips that fit the bumper better.

Welcome to the V world/HELL
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Congrats on your purchase! I am fully addicted to my V as well.

I installed a full Magnaflow exhaust. Its a cat back system with an "X" pipe and louder free flowing mufflers. It didn't seem to change performance, but sounds alot meaner.

There are several vids on youtube thats how I determined I wanted a magnaflow system. There are several systems offered and they all have a different sound.

The first mod I did to my V was to eliminate the cags skip-shift crap. $15.00 adaptive performance fix.

My .02

Last edited by CORNER CARVER; 05-29-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StuartsPNB

We have blacked out many taillights for them, have any of you guys considered doing this?

There have been a few folks in the past offer to tint our lights. If I recall correctly, most talked a lot but never delivered and couldn't be contacted to start the process. What do/would you charge to tint lights? (2 Tail lights, 2 reverse lights, 1 third brake light) is what is on the rear. I know some folks would want fogs and side markers too. Also, please talk about your process. Is it automotive paint thinned out, or do you do niteshades?

And to the original poster, my first mod also was the CAGS eliminator (Skip Shift Eliminator). My second was replacing the stock shifter and bushings. None of these added HP, but made the car much more enjoyable to drive. I whacked off my mufflers and added tips. Best $150 I've spent and sounds great!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

No one seems to talk about this, but LS motors have an ugly drone at cruise speeds with aftermarket exhausts. The only entities who have eliminated this drone are GM and Corsa. The GM exhaust system is very efficient as is. Corsa will cost you over $1000 list price and will net you 10-12 RWHP.
Consider some long tube headers if you are in an area where there is no visual smog check. Cost is about the same as a Corsa. Horsepower increase is near 20-25 RWHP, no drone and overall exhaust sound is not all that greater.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Launching!

I would strongly recomend the magnaflow cat back system. you can pick it up for as cheap as six hundred bucks! i too was going for what you are and i couldnt be happier with it. quiet when you want it and loud when it needs to be
Old 05-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. I would want the headers in bast case scenario, but it is just too expensive for me at this time. I visited a muffler shop today and one thing we talked about was a muffler delete with some nice tips. Deedubb, how is your system, at normal driving speed is it too loud? I found a couple of examples on youtube, but it's hard to tell. I finish work at 1 A.M. so don't want to wake up all the neighbors when I drive home.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

The muffler delete sounds good and for $150 you cant beat it. I do hate the popping noise in between shifts though. I will have a full B&B system one day.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finish work at 1 A.M. so don't want to wake up all the neighbors when I drive home.
A muffler delete won't be that loud. When I bought my car it had the muffler delete done and it sounded good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gyHmydaOI

I chose to replace it with a magnaflow because I found one basically brand new for $400 and I thought it had a more refined sound.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StuartsPNB

Originally Posted by deedubb
There have been a few folks in the past offer to tint our lights. If I recall correctly, most talked a lot but never delivered and couldn't be contacted to start the process. What do/would you charge to tint lights? (2 Tail lights, 2 reverse lights, 1 third brake light) is what is on the rear. I know some folks would want fogs and side markers too. Also, please talk about your process. Is it automotive paint thinned out, or do you do niteshades?
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Start interest, then slip us the green weenie and never come back for followup. Thanks!

Deedubb, how is your system, at normal driving speed is it too loud? I found a couple of examples on youtube, but it's hard to tell. I finish work at 1 A.M. so don't want to wake up all the neighbors when I drive home.
Mine isn't too bad, but I like it loud and want either an X-pipe and/or headers. One day I guess. When I want to be quiet, i just ride in higher gears and it stays pretty quiet.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies. I would want the headers in bast case scenario, but it is just too expensive for me at this time. I visited a muffler shop today and one thing we talked about was a muffler delete with some nice tips. Deedubb, how is your system, at normal driving speed is it too loud? I found a couple of examples on youtube, but it's hard to tell. I finish work at 1 A.M. so don't want to wake up all the neighbors when I drive home.
Im thinking of removing the resonator too, I found a premade x pipe for around 40 $. the just have to weld it in. It should make it a bit louder.

Im in a tought spot just like you. i miss the sound of my old lt1 slp loudmouth, but then agian i also like the nice light sounds of the ctsv right now...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i deleted the mufflers and love it, not too loud but sounds great. i get minimal drone and it's made the popping noise like twice not a big deal at all, best sound for cheap if you ask me.

Quick Reply: First V - Second Upgrade