Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What is the best x-pipe and muffler delete combo on a stock LS6 V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VeelONeal
listen up, and listen good. you're the herb at the party that
never get the heads up about the after hours spot.
your a jealous douche who can't make your own wave,
instead you ride mine. beat it small time, as your info and
personality clash with most. I've been here contributing
to this section much longer than you. my style may be alittle
aggressive for some, but either way I'm helpful when need be. and since I've done enough mods above and beyond most, I'm more of an authority than you and your **** cam install. your car's are slow, and your taste sucks.
now go "run tell dat" to a moderator you rat fink pos.
yada yada yada, bla bla bla....
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -T-
I'll try and get one (vid) tonight or tomorrow. Work is crazy 12 hours 7 days a week so it may be a night vid.

Procedure for guttin the mufflers:

NormV on the "other forum" has a "write-up". But basically its pretty simple.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-v-less-3.html

Get some plugs (i think i got 3/4") and leather gloves from home-depot and some hi-temp silocon from auto parts store and a six-pack from the convenience store.

Disconnect flanges from aft of cats, loosen and slide the brace just aft of the resonator and take loose 3 ea. hangers on each stock muffler. I pulled mine out just slightly from the rear of the car. Enough to get a drill vertical without the risk of catching and slamming into the bumper. Pick two flat spots on the top side of the mufflers, one forward and aft on the muffler housing. Drill out on those flat spots the size of the plugs you purchased; I recommend the largest size you can get. 3/4" was sufficient, but could have helped being larger.

Grab one of your wifes aluminum coat hangers, straighten it out with the exception of a 1/2" hook at about a 1/4" bend radius 180 degrees. Insert the hanger a few inches, pull out and repeat until you get a hold of a good pack and start pulling out with your gloves. This is fiberglass packing and very itchy. So wear some clothes you can throw away and cover up decently. Repeat until you think you got all of the fiberglass out.

After your finished, just insert the plugs and seal around them. Re-attach your exhaust.
Hello -T-:
Why can't I drill out the mufflers from the underside versus the top - where I'd have to drop the exhaust? I would think that access would be the same either way. Do you have rough measurements from the front and back flat edges of the muffler that's best to drill the holes?
Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -T-
This is what i will be doing. I gutted the mufflers about a month ago. Got a little raspy over stock. More audible inside of cabin. Got curious and dropped from cats back this weeked and started her up..... WOW! That is what a V8 should sound like. The resonators on our cars are so much of a restrictor. I am getting an x-pipe hopefully this week. I'm calling around some shops today. I loved the sound, pretty much exactly like cut-outs. If it gets too raspy down low, ill just swap the mufflers later.
i know this is an old thread, but i've got 2 stock resonators in my garage now...you can see directly through them. I can't hardly believe they are "so much of a restrictor". Until you've had one loose and looked through it, don't assume. Actually it has a nice X pattern inside of it. The packing around the body certainly dampens the sound, but it is not very, if at all restrictive. I'm running one now w/ my longtubes and can't see that it hurt anything.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
i know this is an old thread, but i've got 2 stock resonators in my garage now...you can see directly through them. I can't hardly believe they are "so much of a restrictor". Until you've had one loose and looked through it, don't assume. Actually it has a nice X pattern inside of it. The packing around the body certainly dampens the sound, but it is not very, if at all restrictive. I'm running one now w/ my longtubes and can't see that it hurt anything.
agreed. id say no power loss at all. it just makes it quieter.

im sure a lot of you have already seen dyno sheets of the before and after corsa install on a V. 1HP gain.

i was surprised that the mufflers weren't more of a restriction, but the resonator is straight through......
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS#1230
agreed. id say no power loss at all. it just makes it quieter.

im sure a lot of you have already seen dyno sheets of the before and after corsa install on a V. 1HP gain.

i was surprised that the mufflers weren't more of a restriction, but the resonator is straight through......
its really kinda sad actually. When the 03 Cobra came out (i know, bad word here) guys were getting 30-40hp out of a cold air kit. Seems like OEM of late is doing fairly well. Maybe based on the tough EPA stuff the flow is optimized. Hey...is that why the new Escalade sounds so MEAN? Maybe, since its gotta measure up w/ the MPGs, or as much as possible anyway having good exhaust flow?

My late model yukon was the same way. I tried Gibson and Magnaflow exhausts and got ZERO MPGs. Didn't dyno so i can't make a claim, but ended up going back to stock when she complained about the sound. Oh well...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
its really kinda sad actually. When the 03 Cobra came out (i know, bad word here) guys were getting 30-40hp out of a cold air kit.

FI is very sensitive to intake restrictions. thats the reason that the Terminators pick up that much power. thats also why the new ZR1 and Vs see the numbers they do with just an intake, tune and a pulley. The pulley obviously adds boost, but if you check out the FI forum, youll see guys who modify their intakes and get 1-2 psi from that alone.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have before and after pics of a muffler delete?

Quick Reply: What is the best x-pipe and muffler delete combo on a stock LS6 V?