Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help!!!!! Lost a brake pad pin!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help!!!!! Lost a brake pad pin!!!!!

My upper brake pad pin fell out while I was driving! I need a new one quick!! Im at work and wanted to know if I can buy them at an AutoZone???? Any info ASAP would be appreciated!!! thanks... Also what would the cost be???
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just a cotter pin? You can buy those at ace, lowes, tractor supply, etc.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Its the front caliper pin..
Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

like a tit on a bull.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Autozone may have them, but your dealership definitely will have them in stock, Cadillac has used the same type of pins for many cars throughout the years, so they should be in stock.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Ok.. Called a bizillion places! They said only place to get it is at the dealership which happens to be closed today(sunday) I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to get it! What kind of dammage could I do if I drive it home like this? Thursday is when it started squalling. Took it to work on friday and parked it saturday! and brought it to work today so I could change the brakes but found the caliper issue instead! WTF??? any insight would help on the risk if I just drive it home from work which is about 30 minute drive.
Also called ACE and they said that the cotter pin may not be strong enough... this sucks!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can completely ruin your calipers/rotor. without that pin the pad can pivit in a circle and the metal part can come in contact with the rotor hat and the piston in the caliper can crack if you brake hard and the pad is like halfway on the caliper piston.

You can do a temp fix by cutting a section of wire hanger and putting it through the two holes and the two pads and twisting it together until you get to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SkullV
You can completely ruin your calipers/rotor. without that pin the pad can pivit in a circle and the metal part can come in contact with the rotor hat and the piston in the caliper can crack if you brake hard and the pad is like halfway on the caliper piston.

You can do a temp fix by cutting a section of wire hanger and putting it through the two holes and the two pads and twisting it together until you get to the dealer tomorrow.

NICE!! Will do!!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

are you also missing the metal spring clip that goes under and those pins and helps push the pads back out? If on pin is missing that thing can pop out.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by raven154
are you also missing the metal spring clip that goes under and those pins and helps push the pads back out? If on pin is missing that thing can pop out.
nope.. Spring is still on! I did the easy coat hanger fix during my brake and it worked like a charm.. My wife will be picking up the part for me this afternoon so I can put it on when I get home! Is this commin? The spring shaved a thin layer off the inside of my front left rim too.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SkullV

I wanted to say thanks for the help! I was going to have her towed home until you gave me the idea! lol it took for EVER for me to track down a hanger too!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
I wanted to say thanks for the help! I was going to have her towed home until you gave me the idea! lol it took for EVER for me to track down a hanger too!
No problem man, glad it worked out for you. This is NOT a common problem though. You really have to get behind the caliper and punch those pins in with a little hammer and a center punch. Most of us that track our cars semi regularly have this down to a ritual and can change the front pads in less then a half hour! You will get used to it and Kudos for doing your own work!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah very uncommon. First I have heard actually. It has a little lock on the end of the pin. Insert the smooth end in first and feed it through. Then use the hammer and punch and make sure you get the pin to lock all the way in.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by raven154
Yeah very uncommon. First I have heard actually. It has a little lock on the end of the pin. Insert the smooth end in first and feed it through. Then use the hammer and punch and make sure you get the pin to lock all the way in.

lol.. will do! I have never heard of anyones cars having this issue before...

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! Lost a brake pad pin!!!!!