Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

C6 to a V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 to a V?

Hey guys, I currently have a Millennium Yellow 05 Corvette that just never gets driven due to also having a 11 month old son . I have been kicking around trading it in on a used V to have something a bit more practical and still have some performance. I was supposed to go look at and possibly buy an 05 Stealth Gray with 29k miles today, but am getting cold feet about getting rid of the Vette.

My budget does not allow for something more than ~$25k currently, so an 09 is out of the question .

Has anyone here gone from a C6 to a V? Any regrets? I like them both in their own way, but certainly prefer the Vette. I just know I'd use the V a lot more. Also, I do have an 08 Grand Cherokee Hemi Limited that is currently my DD anyway, but between making payments on the Vette to just sit there and the gas mileage of the Jeep (I've put 15k on it since October at ~15mpg), my gut is saying this is a good idea. Any input?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
Hey guys, I currently have a Millennium Yellow 05 Corvette that just never gets driven due to also having a 11 month old son . I have been kicking around trading it in on a used V to have something a bit more practical and still have some performance. I was supposed to go look at and possibly buy an 05 Stealth Gray with 29k miles today, but am getting cold feet about getting rid of the Vette.

My budget does not allow for something more than ~$25k currently, so an 09 is out of the question .

Has anyone here gone from a C6 to a V? Any regrets? I like them both in their own way, but certainly prefer the Vette. I just know I'd use the V a lot more. Also, I do have an 08 Grand Cherokee Hemi Limited that is currently my DD anyway, but between making payments on the Vette to just sit there and the gas mileage of the Jeep (I've put 15k on it since October at ~15mpg), my gut is saying this is a good idea. Any input?
I love my V!!!...... But would rather have a c6 for sure. One thing is corvettes are a dime a dozen however still badass. V's are somewhat rare but not a true sports car (4 doors never will be) but they can sure accelerate and handle like one!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brentman2007
I love my V!!!...... But would rather have a c6 for sure. One thing is corvettes are a dime a dozen however still badass. V's are somewhat rare but not a true sports car (4 doors never will be) but they can sure accelerate and handle like one!!!!
Those are all my thoughts as well. The Vette does have a hell of a look to it just sitting at a light that I won't have with the V though . I was all ready to go and do this today, but when I woke up I had cold feet. Tough decision for me! If I had the $$$, I'd have both lol.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like the V would take care of both issues. You get a sporty car that can handle/brake well and let you have fun while driving and you also have room for the youngster.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
Those are all my thoughts as well. The Vette does have a hell of a look to it just sitting at a light that I won't have with the V though . I was all ready to go and do this today, but when I woke up I had cold feet. Tough decision for me! If I had the $$$, I'd have both lol.
If we lived close I would just let you trade me for a while and then trade back later LOL
Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I own both, got the V in '04, put 30K miles on it and then got C6 to use as daily driver. V is the choice if you need room for more than 2. V is reliable if you keep modding limited to bolt-ons, you will also get better mileage than the 15mpg vs. Jeep provided you manage you high-speed runs to a few a week. The V is an attention grabber, more so than the C6, check both V forums for classified, as most owners do a great job of keeping their Vs in great shape.
Good luck, how about selling the Jeep, keeping the C6, and using a V for daily driving?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Good luck, how about selling the Jeep, keeping the C6, and using a V for daily driving?
I like the way this guy thinks

I've got a C5 and an '04 V and even though I love top out hard driving in the C5, if I had to get rid of one it would be the C5.

The V is crazy comfortable and even though it has a lot of plastic I just feel like the car is of a higher caliber.

There isn't quite anything like a full frame lightweight high horsepower coupe though.

I don't think you'll regret the switch when you realize how much more you'll get to enjoy the V.

Jay
Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

I just picked up my 05 V for little under $25k with 40k miles in July. I too have an 11 month old and its perfect. I didn't come from a vette, but I was considering a vette before we had our kid...glad I didn't go with that. I've had 4 fbodys over the years and this car is WAY more fun than any of my fbodys. It will run with (or faster) than an LS1 fbody stock for stock and is VERY comfy with all the features that will spoil you. I always loved the fbodys for being simple, but this car has spoiled me and I probably won't go back unless I build an all out race car.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Also, I had never driven a V before I bought this car. I had ridden in one briefly and fell in love..lol. I bought it sight unseen from California and it was everything I expected it to be.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jashearer
I
I've got a C5 and an '04 V and even though I love top out hard driving in the C5, if I had to get rid of one it would be the C5.

I think the reason for this is that you can always pick up another C5/C6, but finding another V, that has been taken care for, and at the right price, is not easy. Even though I only drive my V a few times each month, it is a possession that I would not let go off unless I was really in need. Having both cars also allows me to keep the V in very good condition.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

i say trade in the jeep for the v like onebad stated, and the problem is solved.

this next statement wont gain me any friend points but stay away
from 04-05's... they are problem prone. 06-07 is what you want.
the numbers don't lie, the ls2 models were addressed with upgrades
the previous years should have gotten. no matter how much this stings the ls6 guys, they will admit this even to themselves in a cold dark quiet place.
IE: the bathroom tub naked, with the door closed, and lights off.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VfReAk
i say trade in the jeep for the v like onebad stated, and the problem is solved.

this next statement wont gain me any friend points but stay away
from 04-05's... they are problem prone. 06-07 is what you want.
the numbers don't lie, the ls2 models were addressed with upgrades
the previous years should have gotten. no matter how much this stings the ls6 guys, they will admit this even to themselves in a cold dark quiet place.
IE: the bathroom tub naked, with the door closed, and lights off.
I would start another battle over the LS6 vs. LS2 endless war thingy, but mine no longer has the LS6, and my LS2 has been damn good in the Silver Bullet, so I won't,,,
Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

onebad you should know if anyone, the ls2 responds much more favorably
to mods than the smaller warmed over ls1.

check the boxes below if you would like these upgrades.
[ ] better "beefier" rear end.

[ ] hardened synchros and revised gearing for shorter crisper shifts.

[ ] bigger displacement motor (364ci vs 346ci ) with better oiling and timing set, & bigger throttle body. (90mm) vs (78mm)

[ ] radio controls on steering wheel.

[ ] upgraded nav disks for life.

did i mention a bigger motor?

you get the point i'm sure.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the extra 10k a 06-07 costs i would build the **** out of the ls6 or drop something else in. im not one too pay 10k more for a car since it has a little different motor and the same exact car. wrapped around it.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice guys, I actually bought an 05 today. I would have liked an 06, but the 05 was a good deal, in my opinion. 05 Stealth Gray, 29k miles, blah blah blah for $23,995. Sure, an 06 would be a "better" car, but for the price, this was a hell of a lot of bang for the buck.

I agree with itsslow, while the prices weren't $10k more, the 06's were certainly more than $24k. For the price, it was a good choice for me and both motors have more potential than this car can handle, so while I like the LS2 (had an 800rwhp TT 05 GTO), the LS6 will work just fine as well. I don't plan on drag racing it and/or beating the snot out of it (though my wife already said "you're going to turbo it, aren't you?" ), so the rear will do. If it does go, I'll deal with it then, but for the most part, in my experience- rears don't break themselves . I have a friend that sells aftermarket warranties, so I'll probably get one at cost from him just in case anyway.

As for the thoughts of trading the Jeep in, we need that to tow the boat, so that wasn't an option .
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats, when i was shopping for a V the 07s were 34k which was 9k more then the 05 i bought. you will love the car and eventually mod it lol. good luck, get a waranty because we all love the piece of mind we get from having one.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
congrats, when i was shopping for a V the 07s were 34k which was 9k more then the 05 i bought. you will love the car and eventually mod it lol. good luck, get a waranty because we all love the piece of mind we get from having one.
Yeah, they are considerably more, but I did find a few that were not too far off of this one, though the mileage was 1 1/2-2x this one. That's why I felt this was the better deal overall for what I needed.

I'm sure I'll mod it, just don't know what yet. First thing my wife said is "you're going to turbo it, aren't you?" . For those with the muffler delete, how bad is it? Does it drone? I just picture it sounding like an old v8 with an exhaust that busted off after the Y pipe- but the vids seem to sound better than that.

Also, is there any way to turn down or off this damn key reminder/door chime? It is so loud it makes my ears ring lol!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

^ I saw the Top Gear episode where they complain about the chimes, but I haven't noticed..hell I dont know if I even get that chime. I'll need to listen for it at lunch to see if I have it or not..lol.

When I was looking for V's, there were some 06's in my range, but they all had 70-80k+ miles on them.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

You just have to be patient when looking for an 06-07. i bought my 06 in march with 15,100 miles on it with a CPO 100k mile warranty for 27k.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02QSJOHN
You just have to be patient when looking for an 06-07. i bought my 06 in march with 15,100 miles on it with a CPO 100k mile warranty for 27k.
Now that was a deal, and an even better one if it was black/black!