Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My newest toy for the V :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My newest toy for the V :)

Cant wait to pop this in, plan on moving the xpipe to just a few inches after the headers and putting this right after the x-pipe.

and yes ill only be running just one...

Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

I don't know much about cutouts. What would be the advantage of only having it on 1 pipe? Would it not be better to put it in front of the X pipe? This way it dumps everything out before the X pipe.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea i dont really see the point in just running one either, unless your dumping it off the downpipe for a turbo. but thats a nice setup, could use one for the other side too though.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even with the X-pipe wouldn't you be getting very uneven exhaust pressures between bank 1 and 2? I wonder how that would effect performance/reliability/sound/etc
Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

almost like putting a long tube on one said and not the other. i dont know just seems like its gonna whack the already sensitive computer out.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
almost like putting a long tube on one said and not the other. i dont know just seems like its gonna whack the already sensitive computer out.
Yeah, I bet the o2 switching is going to be all crazy, the X-pipe will have a hard time equalizing pressure/flow with free flow on one side and normal restriction on the other.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkullV
Even with the X-pipe wouldn't you be getting very uneven exhaust pressures between bank 1 and 2? I wonder how that would effect performance/reliability/sound/etc

The X pipe brings both exhaust manifolds down to one for that portion of the exhaust.

Therfore you are releasing both exhaust manifolds after the x-pipe.

If after the X-pipe it will get even flow . Its realy not that critical

(if it was just one side before the X-pipe yes it would get all f-ed up)

For HP theres realy no point in running two unless your boosted. or you just want 2 dumping right after the headers.

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 10-26-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
The X pipe brings both exhaust manifolds down to one for that portion of the exhaust.

Therfore you are releasing both exhaust manifolds after the x-pipe.

If after the X-pipe it will get even flow . Its realy not that critical

(if it was just one side before the X-pipe yes it would get all f-ed up)

For HP theres realy no point in running two unless your boosted. or you just want 2 dumping right after the headers.
The X-pipe will not be able to equalize exhaust flow efficiently with one side being more free flowing, it is going to cause CRAZY turbulence in that area. Again, this is all speculation, but only time and testing will tell. Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

The X-pipe will not be able to equalize exhaust flow efficiently with one side being more free flowing, it is going to cause CRAZY turbulence in that area. Again, this is all speculation, but only time and testing will tell. Good Luck!
Yes the x-pipe is just a large area of pipe that both headers dump into then it splits back into 2.

If the cutout goes right after the X it will let both headers flow better.

Ill be dyno tunning sometime soon so ill do plenty of runs to make sure everthing reads well and ill post up the results.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the x-pipe is just a large area of pipe that both headers dump into then it splits back into 2.

If the cutout goes right after the X it will let both headers flow better.

Ill be dyno tunning sometime soon so ill do plenty of runs to make sure everthing reads well and ill post up the results.
Good deal, looking forward to the results.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

If you installed directly at the x on one side I would think it would all dump out of one due to the logic of "path of least resistance"

That ought to be one mean beotch!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CORNER CARVER
If you installed directly at the x on one side I would think it would all dump out of one due to the logic of "path of least resistance"

That ought to be one mean beotch!
yes thats the theory im thinking of, ill be coming right off the end of the X pipe.

There will be about 2 inches of pipe and then it will dump.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Launching!

I have two of them but they are in the rear and I love them. I put them in the rear to avoid drone and ground clearence issues since my car is lowered and they are awesome! Here is a video with them only open half of the way.

they have been my favorite mod yet and I picked up over 10 rwhp when they are open!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VmanUSA
I have two of them but they are in the rear and I love them. I put them in the rear to avoid drone and ground clearence issues since my car is lowered and they are awesome! Here is a video with them only open half of the way.

they have been my favorite mod yet and I picked up over 10 rwhp when they are open!
In the rear you mean right before the mufflers? Where did you verify this 10whp pick up. I don't think anyone has seen 10whp even from cutting the mufflers/resonator out and using straight pipes.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Launching!

I have seen the gains on the dyno and I have straight pipes too and yes they are right before the mufflers. I have some pretty good mods too though like FAST 92 ported to 95mm, REV 95 MM throttle body, BIG FMS14cam, dart 225 heads and kooks headers plus I have dual 3" exhaust all the way back from the headers so maybe thats why I got the numbers that I did. I dont think you will get those gains on a stock motor but I did on my modified engine.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Yep! Very cool.

-Nathan
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VmanUSA
I have seen the gains on the dyno and I have straight pipes too and yes they are right before the mufflers. I have some pretty good mods too though like FAST 92 ported to 95mm, REV 95 MM throttle body, BIG FMS14cam, dart 225 heads and kooks headers plus I have dual 3" exhaust all the way back from the headers so maybe thats why I got the numbers that I did. I dont think you will get those gains on a stock motor but I did on my modified engine.
How did you tune it? For the cutouts opened or closed?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

How did you tune it? For the cutouts opened or closed?
its such a small change it wont affect it much either way,

Unless you put the cutouts before the cats, that can make some tunning differances..

Vman im still debating on what to do about clearnce issues, im on stock hight and there realy isnt much room under the car...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you put the cutouts before the cats, that can make some tunning differances..

Vman im still debating on what to do about clearnce issues, im on stock hight and there realy isnt much room under the car...
If he is really getting 10 whp when they are open then it IS that big of a difference...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Launching!

I agree on the tunning, I did not hear any bitching from my tuner at all, lol.

if you are only doing one then you may have the room you need under the vehicle but you will get drone inside the cab.