Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

just ordered pacesetter headers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28dogg
just recieved the headers yesterday!!!! will install later this week and post pics, they look good....for 300 bucks. But the welds look good and seem to be equal enough length so we will see when i install this week.
wow... long time for pics considering you got them already.
what are you waiting for?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing set in stone at the moment but working on it! I will keep you updated!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
put me in line for that group buy. Any time frame your expecting?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

Our coatings are very durable and sacrificial! They will withstand the expansion and contraction with ease. Just as an example we coat inside and out of Flex tubes on a normal basis without issue. The coating (depending on the option chosen) will not incur damage until the part is bent almost 180°.

Originally Posted by vmapper
Does the coating with stand the expansion and contraction from a Mild steel such as what is being used when making the Pacesetter headers?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Teching In

i cant believe your actually putting uncoated mild steel headers headers on a car........good luck, just expect to spend another 300 within a year.
I'd love to know why this is, is this opinion based upon location or personal preference? I ran uncoated pacesetters in my Camaro for almost three years and never once had a leak, or malfunction with the headers, they werent the greatest looking, but nothing that an otherwise clean engine bay with vette fuel rail covers couldnt distract the eye from...
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and how many miles did you log on the camaro, drive it in rain or any salt? Ive seen personally multiple fbodies with uncoated headers barely last a year on a daily driver. I mean chunks missing out of the headers.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I dont understand all the haters! How many here would jump on a differential for 75% off not knowing how long it would last if you still had the original? I imagine at least 10 in a group buy. There are people paying $2K for a differential hoping it is the fix for our cars. But half of the people posting in this thread are bashing the first person to be the trial runner on some headers that may turn out to be a great buy. The guy is trying to do us all a favor and put them on his car and give feedback on fitment, reliability and durability. He didnt spend your 400 dollars. He spent his own money. Leave it alone.

Cant wait for the feedback Z28. Hope it works out for US V OWNERS!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Looking forward to the feedback also, I will be in the market for some headers when I either get mine back or get a new one.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Do you guys not realize that pacesetter is not the first mild steel header for the V? The original TPiS headers are mild steel. They are however coated with some type of coating. I had them and they held up well. I sold them to a guy when I went FI and bought the larger 1 7/8" Kooks but I have seen them around and they still look very nice.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Teching In

and how many miles did you log on the camaro, drive it in rain or any salt? Ive seen personally multiple fbodies with uncoated headers barely last a year on a daily driver. I mean chunks missing out of the headers.
45000 miles, before i sold it, and i live in tampa, salt... ehh theres probably a good bit in the air, and there is no way to daily drive a car in florida and not have it see a fair share of torrential afternoon down poors, so yes the car seen weather....

So by your reply i assume you are speaking of environmental issues, i will agree to an extent, depending on your location, these may not be ideal for any of the more winter prone areas, but they were fine in the south, and the desert areas, obviously california is emissions friendly, so it may not be an option, however just because it is mild steel doesnt mean that it will be all bad
Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

ive had a few sets of pacesetter's and like em
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -T-
I dont understand all the haters!
The haters are the purists and fan boys. They have only heard or seen the bad apples and base their opinions on them. Truth is, there is not a single reported pacesetter header on a V as of yet and until then, and with some long term feedback, opinions don't really mean ****. There are bad experiences with every product on the planet. These fanboys won't put anything but gold on their V's. Pretty silly if you ask me. If I had been as picky and finneky with my parts, I'd still be way behind everyone in mods. So in closing, to the fanboys, keep saving up your pennies for your gold dipped parts....in the mean time, i'll be miles ahead of you and your mods.

/end mike nice rant.

Edit: And it's plain stupid if you put uncoated mild steel headers (or any part at that) on your car and don't expect problems later on.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Ill agree to disagree with you 04-ctsv. Weve all had personal experiences and I know mine were not by any means good with uncoated headers.

Im all about saving money and love the fact pacesetter came out, i could never justify the money on Kooks/B&B. But there is a point to me where its not worth skimping and its saving 100 bucks off something that is already 500 bucks less then what i would have had to pay for Kooks.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Im all about saving money and love the fact pacesetter came out, i could never justify the money on Kooks/B&B. But there is a point to me where its not worth skimping and its saving 100 bucks off something that is already 500 bucks less then what i would have had to pay for Kooks.

EXACTLY!! I fully agree. These headers are still extremely cheap even with the coating on them so why not get them with the coating. Save what, $100 or so just to have to possibly replace them due to corrosion or have to spend money on other stuff in the engine to cover the back looking headers...? Not worth the $100 or so savings in the long run. I am very excited to see how these will look on a V. I too could not justify spending that kind of money on Kooks or B&B.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

I will never own Kooks or B&B headers. It is not about being able to afford them as if you search my previous posts I have bought and sold CCW wheels, TT kits and Procharger kits for my prev F-body. It is all about the fact that 1300 before install is a lot to fork out for 15 hp. I plan on keeping the stock manifolds for now with a Magnaflow C/B, LPE CAI, UDP and a Thunder racing Cheater v.3 cam which is made to run on stock manifolds to keep my warranty as it is a sleeper cam on a 117 lsa.

I had a set of coated Pacesetters at one point on my F-body. I had no problems with them. If the fitment and gains are good with them, I may purchase a set for the V. Time will tell.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TriGuy
EXACTLY!! I fully agree. These headers are still extremely cheap even with the coating on them so why not get them with the coating. Save what, $100 or so just to have to possibly replace them due to corrosion or have to spend money on other stuff in the engine to cover the back looking headers...? Not worth the $100 or so savings in the long run. I am very excited to see how these will look on a V. I too could not justify spending that kind of money on Kooks or B&B.
I think his intent was that after urchasing the pacesetters and having them coated it would only be like 100$ less than what some of the other brands cost, so why buy the pacesetter.. But I may be reading into it too much.

Point is any one part could be a lemon, just look at stock cars on a dyno, some are dyno queens some are not, all same parts but cars are just funny like that.

Myself I won't be doing longtibes again cause I want my Cadillac to remain somewhat of what makes it a luxury vehicle, and I will be going with random tech cats to replace the stock restrictions, to me that is currently the best compromise of both worlds to suit my desires
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Pacesetters are cheap because they are not stainless. Will usually make less power than a brand like Kooks or ARH. You get what you pay for. They are the only real budget header for the GTO's. If you live in the right area, or the car doesn't see harsh weather, they will be fine for a few years. Salt and daily driving though will take its toll on them.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oshia86
Pacesetters are cheap because they are not stainless. Will usually make less power than a brand like Kooks or ARH. You get what you pay for.
Why will they make less power than said brands?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deedubb
Why will they make less power than said brands?
I don't know anything about it, and I am all for some cheaper mods for our cars, but I do know that Kooks makes a valiant effort at equal length headers and these Pacesetters do not.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Take a look at the merge collectors. I am a regular at ls1gto.com. Lots of test have been done there. The tubes are also a little longer as well.

Kooks = merge spike
Pacesetters = no spike

The difference isn't a lot. But it's there. 5-7 hp or so.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Oh, this is for the GTO version, I am not gonna say that I know the specifics of the cts-v set. I don't imagine they would be much different though.

Quick Reply: just ordered pacesetter headers!!!!