Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Michelins PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Michelins PS2?

How well do these last? My V is daily driven and a lot at that (since last April I've put on 20k) as I travel for work w/ no company car yet.

If these are too soft, what do you guys suggest? I know I'll have to compromise between grip and life...
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position tires as my DD tires and I love them. They have lasted 15k miles and still have 5/32 tread life left.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run ps2's on my fiancees sc430...nice tire...but just driving normally with them 15k max....last set only lasted 10k...switching to something different when this set wears out.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Goodyear Eagle Asymetrics
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Launching!

i has the PS2 tire...
good tire last year but with the track days did not last very long especially for the price

I replace my PS2 with Dunlop Star Spec tires...
also short life BUT GREAT grip at the track...
......I dont drive my V every day...

--Jerry
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went from f1's (10k max) to f1 all seasons (3k so far)..grips about the same
.97left .92 right and they held fine..hardly even squeal
Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Nice. I thought I had it narrowed down to possibly Nexens (sound generic but have heard mostly positive about them) or Hankook (don't know about life though).
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have owned two sets on my V and had another set on my C6. They are great tires, the price is justified, but expect no more than 15K miles. They are performers, quiet, but you can do better.

Look at Nitto Invos and Hankook Ventus V12, best prices I have seen:
www.onlinetires.com

Here is C&D's most recent test:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
Old 03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk04V
Nice. I thought I had it narrowed down to possibly Nexens (sound generic but have heard mostly positive about them) or Hankook (don't know about life though).

Tradeoffs have to be weighed:

1) price
2) wear
3) performance

You will not find all three satisfactory with any one tire. Weight them, or take two of the three.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I need tires on my V. Tires are all due for replacement.

Trying to decide on a decent set. Dont care so much about performance as the car is mostly stock right now anyway. I drive 75 miles a day between work, gym and school so a soft compound really wont last long enough for me. If it was just a weekend toy then yes.

Im thinking nittos or toyos...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

My last set of bfg kdw2's lasted 30k which included a track day and some harsh driving on the street....1.22g on the dash going around homestead with those tires...needless to say I put the same tires back on...and at 160$ a piece they're easy on the wallet too....some say they get loud when they get worn, but I can't hear it over the exhaust/diff...so I'm happy.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nikon
My last set of bfg kdw2's lasted 30k which included a track day and some harsh driving on the street....1.22g on the dash going around homestead with those tires...needless to say I put the same tires back on...and at 160$ a piece they're easy on the wallet too....some say they get loud when they get worn, but I can't hear it over the exhaust/diff...so I'm happy.
Yours are the new tread (flame looking tread pattern) right?

Glad you reminded me! Those tires look sick, hook great, last awhile and they arent a million bucks in the size we need. Forgot all about them until you just posted that. Ill prob run those on my car. Another good thing about them (at least i think so), is that BFG's tires tend to run a little wider then nitto and the others on the same size tire. In other words, a 275 BFG beside a 275 nitto, the bfg is noticably wider.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Yours are the new tread (flame looking tread pattern) right?

Glad you reminded me! Those tires look sick, hook great, last awhile and they arent a million bucks in the size we need. Forgot all about them until you just posted that. Ill prob run those on my car. Another good thing about them (at least i think so), is that BFG's tires tend to run a little wider then nitto and the others on the same size tire. In other words, a 275 BFG beside a 275 nitto, the bfg is noticably wider.
Not sure if you are actually planning on running the 275s in the rear, but that size is really already pushing it for an 8.5" wide wheel. If the BFGs run even wider than normal, I think you might have some squirm/negative impacts to the handling with that wide of a tire on the stock rim. Please disregard this if you are not going to run 275s.

P.S. I ran Toyo T1-Rs for about 15,000+ miles on my car and really liked them. They are a little more expensive, but they handle great, are pretty good in the wet, and look awesome. I liked them a lot and do not hesitate to recommend them to anybody. I even used them on a track day and they performed great.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Not sure if you are actually planning on running the 275s in the rear, but that size is really already pushing it for an 8.5" wide wheel. If the BFGs run even wider than normal, I think you might have some squirm/negative impacts to the handling with that wide of a tire on the stock rim. Please disregard this if you are not going to run 275s.

P.S. I ran Toyo T1-Rs for about 15,000+ miles on my car and really liked them. They are a little more expensive, but they handle great, are pretty good in the wet, and look awesome. I liked them a lot and do not hesitate to recommend them to anybody. I even used them on a track day and they performed great.
I am already running sumitumo 275/40/18's in the rear and they fit the rim perfectly. No buldge or anything. They are straight up and down.

If i run BFG, they might be slightly wider but i dont think it would be enough to cause any issues.

I really like the look of those Toyo's. How much do they run?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

The hankook ventus don't hook for anything, the INVO is a decent tire from what I've heard tho
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running 255/40/18 all around and 0 bulge....but then again per the tire calculator their not much bigger than stock...did the toyo t1-r's run out a little past 15k or still plenty of tread, because they do have a really nice tread pattern...

and yes bfg kdw2's I run are the flame pattern

edit: I mistook t1-r's for the 888....the 888 is the one that really looks sick...prolly doesn't last long though.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm running 255/40/18 all around and 0 bulge....but then again per the tire calculator their not much bigger than stock...did the toyo t1-r's run out a little past 15k or still plenty of tread, because they do have a really nice tread pattern...

and yes bfg kdw2's I run are the flame pattern

edit: I mistook t1-r's for the 888....the 888 is the one that really looks sick...prolly doesn't last long though.
Yeah dude, the 888's do look sick but im pretty sure someone said they are an R compound which mean super soft and wont last long as all!

I personally love the look of those BFG's. Id like to see them in a 275/40 on the stock wheel but i dont think it should cause any issues. Our fender lips are rolled from the factory anyway.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

I am already running sumitumo 275/40/18's in the rear and they fit the rim perfectly. No buldge or anything. They are straight up and down.

If i run BFG, they might be slightly wider but i dont think it would be enough to cause any issues.

I really like the look of those Toyo's. How much do they run?
Not trying to flame, but I can't imagine you are getting much more of a contact patch than the stock 245s, since you are still on the 8.5" stocker. But if it works for you, stick with it.

As for the Toyos, I just did a quick check and 245s are about $175 and 275-285s are about $215, so not really that bad.

My T1-Rs ran solid to about 15,000 miles and I think I put another 2,000 miles on them before changing them (so about 17,000 total), but they were pretty done at that point.

Yeah, the R888s only start with 6/32s of tread, and I figure I used about half of the tread in about 2,500 miles + a full track day + a lot of burnouts thrown in there because I had just recently installed the Wheelhop Kit. But it is true, I knew they were only going to last about 5,000-6,000 miles if driven on the street/track. They were an experiment to see how running r-comps on the street was, and I have mixed feelings about them. They are harsh on the street, but they perform beautifully on track and during hard street driving.

Yeah dude, the 888's do look sick but im pretty sure someone said they are an R compound which mean super soft and wont last long as all!

I personally love the look of those BFG's. Id like to see them in a 275/40 on the stock wheel but i dont think it should cause any issues. Our fender lips are rolled from the factory anyway.
You have the best year of V (2004) so yeah, the rear fender lips were rolled from the factory, and to the best of my knowledge, that was the only year that the fenders were pre-rolled. I went ahead and had all four corners rolled even more for that little extra bit of clearance. The factory roll was like 45° up, but with the extra roll, mine are now completely up and down and don't stick out into the tire at all.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Not trying to flame, but I can't imagine you are getting much more of a contact patch than the stock 245s, since you are still on the 8.5" stocker. But if it works for you, stick with it.

As for the Toyos, I just did a quick check and 245s are about $175 and 275-285s are about $215, so not really that bad.

My T1-Rs ran solid to about 15,000 miles and I think I put another 2,000 miles on them before changing them (so about 17,000 total), but they were pretty done at that point.

Yeah, the R888s only start with 6/32s of tread, and I figure I used about half of the tread in about 2,500 miles + a full track day + a lot of burnouts thrown in there because I had just recently installed the Wheelhop Kit. But it is true, I knew they were only going to last about 5,000-6,000 miles if driven on the street/track. They were an experiment to see how running r-comps on the street was, and I have mixed feelings about them. They are harsh on the street, but they perform beautifully on track and during hard street driving.

You have the best year of V (2004) so yeah, the rear fender lips were rolled from the factory, and to the best of my knowledge, that was the only year that the fenders were pre-rolled. I went ahead and had all four corners rolled even more for that little extra bit of clearance. The factory roll was like 45° up, but with the extra roll, mine are now completely up and down and don't stick out into the tire at all.
Lol! In all honesty, im not worried much about the contact patch. I drive daily and hardly dog the car... especially with this shitty diff i need to make last for a little while. I mean of course the wider the patch, the better but i like the look of the stock wheels (plus mine are already powdercoated black) and i just really want the wider looking tire for cosmetic reasons. And hey, if the price isnt much different, why not...

And really? I didnt know it was just an 04 thing? I got to looking at it yesterday and first i thought someone rolled them before me. I thought that was weird because the car is still stock height and after closer examination, it was too clean of a job to not be factory. Im cutting my springs Sat 1 coil in the front and 1-1/4 in the rear so i might roll mine just a tad more but its def nice they started it for me!!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Lol! In all honesty, im not worried much about the contact patch. I drive daily and hardly dog the car... especially with this shitty diff i need to make last for a little while. I mean of course the wider the patch, the better but i like the look of the stock wheels (plus mine are already powdercoated black) and i just really want the wider looking tire for cosmetic reasons. And hey, if the price isnt much different, why not...

And really? I didnt know it was just an 04 thing? I got to looking at it yesterday and first i thought someone rolled them before me. I thought that was weird because the car is still stock height and after closer examination, it was too clean of a job to not be factory. Im cutting my springs Sat 1 coil in the front and 1-1/4 in the rear so i might roll mine just a tad more but its def nice they started it for me!!
You'll love the car lowered. I really changes the looks a lot, although I suppose that can be said for any car.

I have my car lowered about 1.25" in front and 1.00" in rear and am planning on taking the wheels off this weekend and lowering it a bit more in preparation for a little photoshoot that I plan to do. I will probably post some pix next week if the weather holds out and I can actually get the pix.

Good luck with the spring cutting. I should turn out nice.

Quick Reply: Michelins PS2?