Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fidanza 6.5 twin disk review.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, there is a guy on the other forum complaining about the same thing with less than 2k on it I believe. MAP is telling him a seal I probably leaking slinging oil onto the clutch assembly. Post on the other forum as well and see what they say.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by big reg
WOW, there is a guy on the other forum complaining about the same thing with less than 2k on it I believe. MAP is telling him a seal I probably leaking slinging oil onto the clutch assembly. Post on the other forum as well and see what they say.
ya just did. I didnt get under the car to check for leaks, But I just did the main seal when I did the clutch.

To be honest I think oil would have to leak a hole lot to get from the backside of the flywheel to the disk. But I could be wrong.

Im very disapointed, im hoping I just glazed/ brunt it alittle and after a overnight cool down It might be ok (fingers are crossed)

this is beyond MOD hell...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you glazed it. throw a stock one back in it, mines holding up just fine lol so i stageups. ive always been leary about the fidanza twin disk and now that ive read a ton about monsters stage 3 chatter, im gonna have to go with RPS or Mcleod when its time.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
sounds like you glazed it. throw a stock one back in it, mines holding up just fine lol so i stageups. ive always been leary about the fidanza twin disk and now that ive read a ton about monsters stage 3 chatter, im gonna have to go with RPS or Mcleod when its time.
Ya my gut told me to go with a LS7 kit and call it good. But when i was clutch shopping all the twin disk were fresh and hot .

And I love that its light, But it sucks having a CAM with such a light combo cause the idle has to be set realy high to keep the thing from surging ...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

Use a Fidanza 13.5lb LS2 flywheel with the LS7 pressure plate and disk. I will swithcing too that setup as it saves 13lbs over the stock LS2 flywheel. The LS7 clutch setup is pretty heavy for stock otherwise. A few have done this with great success. I have seen the Fidanza flywheel for around 340 or so and the LS7 PP and disk can be had for under 300. Katech makes a spacer to keep the stock hydraulics as well. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

well just went for a test drive and banged some gears and it seems to grab again.

But Im not sure what to make of this...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

i hear ya, if i went with a monster stage 3 i would have gone with the steel 28 lb flywheel because i dont wanna have to worry about it. I like my idle around 950 the way it is now.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
well just went for a test drive and banged some gears and it seems to grab again.

But Im not sure what to make of this...
Maybe you glazed it. I was stuck in stop and go traffic for about 40 minutes last week and I though it felt loose. After it cooled off it worked fine. Max, I just beat the **** out of it at Road America for two hours today with hundreds of redline shifts. It was still grabbing good. In fact I think my creative steel diff bushing has worn out already. Don't panic just yet. Kevlar in funny stuff.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Any updates?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE:
My fidanza **** the bed after 1,500 miles..
And yes it was properly broken in, I even measured the shim clearance to be certain.
Im cam only, The clutch has seen 1 burnout and 1 maybe 2 mild street launches on all season 245s.

Also Due to the super light weight of this clutch, its a pain in the *** to drive with on a cammed car.

Im now running a LS7 kit with Ram 18lb flywheel and I love it !

here are some pics of my 6.5 twin

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Nice hot spots! How high did you pedal engage off the floor? Any fluid contamination at all? Doesn't really look like it. They going to warranty it?

Last edited by raven154; 08-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Factory clutches FTW, im tempted to just do an LS7 when my stock ls6 clutch goes, mines lasted longer then yours has with 125+ more torque then you and ive sprayed two bottles through it
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by raven154
Nice hot spots! How high did you pedal engage off the floor? Any fluid contamination at all? Doesn't really look like it. They going to warranty it?
The pedal did engage high, fluid looks like new. I flushed it out completely.

They said they are going to give me 90% of my money back, We'll see what happens...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I have a tilton 5.5" triple in my camaro. The whole setup weighs 17lbs including the flywheel.....yea it revs quick. It's been in for 3 years before I put disks in it with no probs.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raven154
Where does your exedy grab just for reference to compare to mine.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

It started off low but after a few miles it came up a little. I think it was just working a little air out. It's now higher than the stock and spec clutch and still shifts like butter.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Can you rebuild the Fidanza?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default Fidanza

Originally Posted by big reg
Yeah that was me, I dropped the trans. The clutch is gone. I sent it back to Fidanaza....still waiting to see what they are going to do for me. In the meantime I had to get the car back on the road. I installed the LS7 setup. Its nice to drive but noticeably slower. Its depressing to spend a grand and loose HP.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

I just has my tuned tweaked to help with drive-ability on a cammed car with a light twin. I suggest that even if you don't have a cam, turn up the idle to about 950. It makes a world of difference. When you engage the clutch the light flywheel doesn't have much momentum so the rpms drop pretty low. To counter that you try to give it more gas then release. The twin doesn't like to slip much so you wind up jerking the car forward or slipping it way to hard. The right idle speed really helps on take off (more flywheel momentum on contact) and I think it would make the clutch last a lot longer. I would have done mine along time ago had I known this just from the driveability stand point.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
I just has my tuned tweaked to help with drive-ability on a cammed car with a light twin. I suggest that even if you don't have a cam, turn up the idle to about 950. It makes a world of difference. When you engage the clutch the light flywheel doesn't have much momentum so the rpms drop pretty low. To counter that you try to give it more gas then release. The twin doesn't like to slip much so you wind up jerking the car forward or slipping it way to hard. The right idle speed really helps on take off (more flywheel momentum on contact) and I think it would make the clutch last a lot longer. I would have done mine along time ago had I known this just from the driveability stand point.
I second this, Im cammed and my idle was at 1,000 with the twin and it still didnt like when I put the A/C on. I was planning on retunning and seting it higher but the twin didnt last long enough....

31lbs is alittle to light for a mild cam, id suggest something alittle heavier or a smaller cam.

But I also recomend anyone looking for a twin go with a mcloed or a LS9 twin .

Last edited by maxspeed05V; 08-15-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Fidanza 6.5 twin disk review.