Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Drivers door power lock module bad????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers door power lock module bad????

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't been posting much. Been super busy but now I'm hoping someone can help me out. This morning when I went to unlock my car, all the doors unlocked except my drivers door. I played with it for awhile and couldn't get it to unlock. I had to open the back door and reach up and yank it with my hand to get it unlocked. It was pretty stiff to move for some reason. When I tried to lock it back, it wouldn't pull down to lock automatically so I had to lock it by hand again.

Anyone else experience this? Never had this issue before!

Not sure if it could be a bad module or what? When I push the button, it moves a slight bit but not enough to lock or unlock the door. Could something be bound up?

Thanks for the help in advance!!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

its sound like ur power door lock actuator is weak or going bad
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^agree with above...or maybe a wire has popped loose.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm... Ok. Guess I'll have to pull the door panel off to take a look. Are the door panels hard to take off in these? I've never had to pull one.

And has anyone had to replace a power lock actuator? Trying to get an idea on the cost if I do need a new one.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Default cts door latch repair

I had the same problem with both door latches on the left side of my CTS. I could hear them trying to engage, but seemingly were stuck. I removed them both and doused them with WD40 and began working the power lock. As I manually helped the latch move a little, they began to break loose. After a few minutes of working the mechanism with assistance, they freed up and are working great. Apparently, they gauld and start freezing up. I hope this helps you. It is not a big thing to remove the door panel and the latch assembly. If you are mechanically literate, you should have no problem. If you don't know what a wrench is.......take it to the shop.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks alot for the help! I was messing with it yesterday a bit and got it working again. I'll prob still need to pull the panel and lubricate the actuator like u said u did. It's just a little sticky like you described but still works.

And the door panel shouldn't be an issue for me. I've done lots of work on different vehicles. I just didn't know if the door panel was tricky to remove or not. I know some are.

Thanks again man!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Default removing door panel....

The door panel is a piece of cake. There is a small snap in cover that pops out with a screwdriver. Underneath that is two screws. Remove those screws and the whole panel will pop loose. You will need to work the door handle bezel loose and you will be ready to work. It would seem to me that if you don't lubricate that latch, you will be right back where you were shortly. I had my CTS at the dealer a few days ago and they wanted $180 to replace the rear latch. I would assume the front would be as much or more. I already had the WD40 so I saved my self at least $360 for a couple of hours work.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

If you ever get pop or anything sticky like that on the door lock that pops out of the door it will do that. I tried to toss a cup of pop out the passengers side window into a trash can and caught the pillar. Cleaned everything up but some got down the door lock. I had to pop the slide out and clean all the goop of it. Works great again. Now I dont throw anything out the windows unless I can reach the trash can lol
Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raven154
If you ever get pop or anything sticky like that on the door lock that pops out of the door it will do that. I tried to toss a cup of pop out the passengers side window into a trash can and caught the pillar. Cleaned everything up but some got down the door lock. I had to pop the slide out and clean all the goop of it. Works great again. Now I dont throw anything out the windows unless I can reach the trash can lol
I would have been sick....i would have then had more than goop to clean up, I had someone set a case of fireworks on my trunk this weekend and have a nice set of scratches that I get to buff out today
Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I've never spilt anything on my door lock. I think its just gotten sticky over time. Thanks for the info on removing the panel. Ill be doing it this afternoon even though its working again, lubing it wouldn't hurt.

And man, id be pissed if someone scratched my trunk with fireworks. Some people just don't take care of their vehicles like we do. My girlfriends friend (21 year old) has a brand new black 2010 escalade (thanks to mommy and daddy) and she always throws her purse and bags on the hood with no consideration for keeping it scratch free. Such a shame!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have had this happen to me. believe it or not, it only happend when the sun was beaming down on the drivers side. it has happend about 5 times. havent had it happen in a few months tho. very strange
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

That is exactly when it happened to me. Car was baking in the sun in front of my girlfriends house all day and when i went to leave, the door was acting funny. Hasnt done it since. Maybe it was heat related...
Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

what ever it is, its gay! lol
Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Werd!! Lol
Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 AM

Default Cts 2005

I live in uk and gave a right hand drive cts 3.6.... my passe ger frobt door, ie the american side drivers door will not open.... by use of both intefiot and exterior gandkes.. i have groped around, as i cannot get tge door xard off fully but cannot find the ussue... i have tried the disconnect battery touch them together **** and it doesnt work... its stuck, both handles move the metal rodsthey are on but still locked, or jammed... we have no cadilkac deLers in uk just gm , or vauxhall and they are as much use as a bike to a fish....any help please

Quick Reply: Drivers door power lock module bad????