Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

100K+ miles CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that is all you can afford, just stick to a less expensive car, focus, etc.. vs a 100K mile car.. it's like you want to look pimp, but with out the price tag, lol
Old 08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
so to all the people who say dont do it the V wont last........how many have personal experience or first hand experience with a V over 100k miles? The motor and trans will last for sure if its been maintained. If you dont plan to beat the **** out of it an original 04 diff will hold up too. Just be ready to do more maintence to the vehicle, shocks, clutch, brakes, fluids etc.
Originally Posted by ColeGraham
This x2
So fricking TRUE!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by deedubb
Yep, lots of hearsay in the thread. You'll find a lot of breakage threads here because when they do break, people want help or ideas to fix it or upgrade it. Yes there are bad apples in the bunch, yes the rears are known to be weak. I have yet to hear a squeak or squeal out of my stock 05 rear end. The same can be said about many others. Then again, I don't drive my car like a 16 year old kid either. It's a Cadillac, not a drag car.
Even more TRUE!!! The biggest high dollar part failure on these cars is the diff. If you learn to drive the car smoothly (rev matched downshifts, not downshifting at every stoplight when you could just put it in neutral and coast, not launching hard all the time, etc.) the drivetrain will last forever. If you want extra insurance, spring for some $550 aftermarket axles (half-shafts) and completely eliminate the wheelhop that causes the diff failures in the first place. These cars are extremely rewarding if you take great care of them and drive them with common sense. They are not the easiest cars to drive smoothly, it just takes practice.

I have had my V for 5.5 years now and absolutely love it. It has never stranded me on the side of the road or embarassed me. I only have 35,000 miles on mine, but I keep it in tip-top shape and she returns the favor every time I drive her, or take her to the road course.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Teching In

I am about to put my '04 on the market. I bought it almost 3 years ago with 46K on it. It's now just under 69K. I think I am going to ask $17,900.

I have had to replace a leaking power steering hose that had a pinhole in it and later a brake light switch. Currently the right rear TPMS (Tire pressure) sensor is not reading. That's it as far as problems go.

I love this car, but I'm thinking of getting a Lotus Exige for something completely different. I was in an '02 Z06 before the CTS-V.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kevm14
The ONLY thing that really feels like miles to me is the transmission, and I have a jug of Amsoil Torque-Drive that will hopefully solve that gripe.
Know what's funny. Someone who knows the V extremely well told me just 2 days ago: "When you get it, the shifter may feel loose, don't worry they are all like that. If you like, a short-throw kit will fix that"

So, I am wondering if what you are describing is actually age-related at all... Maybe would have felt the same 40,000 miles ago too.

Anyone have any input about the shifter and what can be done to make it feel better?

Also, could anyone share an estimate what it would cost to get the clutch, motor mounts and bushings replaced on a V? I know this depends on the area and what kind of labor rates you will get quoted, but any ballpark figure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys, this is a cool crowd. I would love to join you all with a V myself.... Let's see...
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine feels loose to...its is in the shop now getting a Katech STS installed with the UUC bushings (along with the wheel hop aids and a couple other mods). i have heard the same thing, that once you get a short throw on there, its shifts are much more enjoyable.

i will give you my more in depth opinion was i get her back next week.

edit: car has 33322 on the clock right now, and i got her with 31696.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

My UUC shifter has some slop in it but that's not the problem. It's that the shift effort is a little high or "rough" in some cases. Word is the Amsoil Torque-Drive ATF is the one possible solution. It's so easy to change, anyway.

The reason "they are all like that" is because this car has a funky remote shifter design. Unlike all other cars with a T56 (except the Corvette) the shifter that you hold does not go straight down into the transmission. A Corvette actually has a longer linkage but I don't think they have quite the same problems we do. They probably got a more robust engineering solution to their rear mounted T56.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

and a corvette is a corvette...entirely different animal.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

People over react, If it is maintained well it won't matter... I know since I have owned one with over 100k
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I sure hope they hold up, I bought mine about 3 months ago with 62k on it and now have 84k on it. I drive it all over the southeast as a sales rep. I go through tires waaaaay before I will brakes since 95% of my miles are interstate.....got lucky and already had the diff upgrade when I got it.....Did have to change motor mounts when I got it though.
Wow, you really do drive all over. 22,000 miles in 3 months? That's more than I have on my car.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think there will be any issue with high mileage V's, but if the thought of a $1000-$2000 repair bill scares you off, no 400 hp car should be in your future.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roidz24
Wow, you really do drive all over. 22,000 miles in 3 months? That's more than I have on my car.
I know...alot of people say that I am ruining a GREAT car....I drove a 4 door TACO to 217k in 3 yrs, the way I figured it if I spend that much time in a car it might as well be a badass one. She is super smooth on the interstate and a BEAST on the country roads where I live. Been on the strip a cpl times. My plans are to upgrade to a V2 around the first of next summer.....keeping the V1 if finances allow.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

if its a solid car then there is no reason to buy one at that mileage. if people say not to buy then it speaks alot for the build quality of the V or any vehicle.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

I agree. If people really think they have a "cool car" that is great at 50k but falls apart at 100k, I'd argue that it's not that cool...

I'm happy with mine @ 98k and don't understand this Corvette-syndrome of being terrified by miles. BUT it reduced the resale value of my car, giving me a great deal, so nevermind.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevm14
I agree. If people really think they have a "cool car" that is great at 50k but falls apart at 100k, I'd argue that it's not that cool...

I'm happy with mine @ 98k and don't understand this Corvette-syndrome of being terrified by miles. BUT it reduced the resale value of my car, giving me a great deal, so nevermind.
You mean like my 200K mile Camaro...that still runs perfect, gets excellent gas mileage, and runs right with similarly modded cars with less than 30K on their odometers with all original parts still?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I know...alot of people say that I am ruining a GREAT car....I drove a 4 door TACO to 217k in 3 yrs, the way I figured it if I spend that much time in a car it might as well be a badass one. She is super smooth on the interstate and a BEAST on the country roads where I live. Been on the strip a cpl times. My plans are to upgrade to a V2 around the first of next summer.....keeping the V1 if finances allow.
I dont blame you at all, your doing exactly what id do, drive in comfort and have power.....hell if i would enjoy putting 22k miles on a 96 civic in 3 months. Not to mention having side curtain airbags, and a lot of other safety devices.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Teching In

I'm with the rest of the high mileage believers. Bought my '04 w/ 84K and its at 102K now. Bushings, motor mounts, shocks but no issues at all. Had a C5 vette I drove to 160K and it poured water in like the roof didn't exist, but never had an issue with the LS or tremec.

If you know cars and the motor/trans feel right then get a good deal and save your money.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

I bought mine 2 years ago with 68k, im at 115k est. It was my daily for a long time, but i couldnt afford the gas haha. I have replaced the rear which is the biggest gripe on these things. My rear wasnt making noise, but i plan on doing more power upgrades, so i figured i'd go reliablity first then power. But everything on the car feels awesome. Short shifter is definitely a must just for the fun of it. I see no issues if it feels right, 100k shouldnt scare anyone. I havent had any issues on the interior either other than the driver seat is worn (too much seat time ).
Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine in FEB with 113k. got a deal on it and I haven't been happier with a car to this point. I knew what I was getting into so I expected motor trans and rear mounts as well as cutch and I was not looking for a drag car. so with the little bit of money in it to take care of the "defects" of the car it drive and runs like new IMO. I had my ls1 fbody until 188k and the powertrain was still rock solid.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omoplata
It's just that the car has unfortunately not depreciated much at all and I really want the LS engine in a 4-door vehicle.
bahhhaa thats a joke right.. 05s are in the low teens with 100k+ the car stickerd at 51k in 05, i think they are pretty affordable

Quick Reply: 100K+ miles CTS-V?