Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HID lowbeam issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 PM
sod
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID lowbeam issue

I recently road-tripped my V to the midwest from Denver & when I hit rain & humidity the inside of my driver's side headlight fogged up with moisure & within a day I had lost the low beam.

Caddy dealer quoted me $330 for just the bulb.

When I got back to Denver the headlight dried out & I momentarily had a (much dimmer) low beam, but it hasn't stayed working permanently.

I'm wondering if the 'bulb' is really shot? or if it could be something else?

I found the bulb on gmpartsdirect.com for around $150, but I don't wanna replace it, if, it's not the problem, or, if it's gonna blow out again the next time it rains.

My headlights also look horrible, so I'd like to either replace them, or polish them up, but if mine isn't sealed, am I just wasting my time?

Anyone had any issues similar to this?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

It could be the ballast that's going bad. Also, the headlights have a screw on cap on the bottom side of it. Have you checked to see if if yours is screwed on right? I would take the good bulb and put it in place of the bad one and see what happens. If it too is dim then I would think it's the ballast.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
sod
Staging Lane

Default thanks

Thanks for the response.

I think my best bet is gonna be to drop the bumper, swap the bulb & see what happens.

While I have the headlights out, I'm gonna see if I can figure out how the moisure is getting in there, seal it up, if possible, & polish up the headlights as well.

Looks like these headlights retail for around $1000 new, & even used ones on ebay are almost $500, so I guess I'll see what I can do with what I've already got.

Have a good weekend guys!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm still appalled that we have to drop the bumper for a ******* bulb change.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
sod
Staging Lane

Default no doubt!

Yeah, no doubt!

Does anyone have first-hand experience dropping the bumper?

Is it as bad as it sounds? or just time consuming? I think it might make it easier to pull it up on ramps for better access under the car.

Can all of the plastic fasteners be re-used? or should I just spring for some new ones?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

U can reuse the same plastic fasteners.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have to pull the bumper off on about any model Caddy now to change the headlights. It sucks. None are really that hard tho. I would pull it up on ramps if I were you
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Launching!

After you do it a few times you can take it off pretty quickly. I broke a few of the push pins when I removed mine the first time. I went to Napa and bought a few extra's.

After I re-installed the fascia, the hood started moving around at high speed and the push pins kept coming out of the bottom. The ones I got from Napa weren't exactly the right size so it took a few try's to get deflector to stay up under the car.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

can't you access the bulb cap by removing the air intake box? Looks like I can reach mine easily with my CAI.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deedubb
can't you access the bulb cap by removing the air intake box? Looks like I can reach mine easily with my CAI.
It looked like that to me too, depending on how big your hands are. I was replacing my front fascia anyway since I had run over a fender on the road. I replace the stock bulbs with 35W / 8K.

Quick Reply: HID lowbeam issue