Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

need help w/steering column, swps install went wrong, daily driver down

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need help w/steering column, swps install went wrong, daily driver down

so i attempted to install the new steering wheel position sensor and royally screwed things up, i don't know if it was just my luck or my car was assembled my a magician. so i don't have a camera and was too frustrated to take pictues with my cell phone, but if anyone here has disassembled their column hopefully you can shed some insight. so here are my issues:
1*when you removed the column did you take out the bolt under the hood on the slip collar? i found out the entire "collar assembly" for lack of better words just slides in and out of the column, so it appears removing the collar is not necessary to replace the swps
2*when i pulled the collar off to replace the sensor i could not get the portion with the u joint (steel) to go inside the aluminum piece the sensor rides on, I ended up trying to open up the edges of the aluminum with a fork and sledgehammer (hammer = usually not good) and as the odds are i messed stuff up. i didn't know the aluminum piece the sensor was on slid into another aluminum piece fixed to the column so i was tapping the larger aluminum collar and pushed it into the column, breaking my new sensor and damaging the black plastic retainer the sensor sits in, after hours of "modifying the collar i was able to get it back on
3*since i pulled the entire column out i pulled everything through the rubber boot on the firewall, i could not figure out how to get this installed again and finally got it on the collar for the steering column but i had the remove the insert in the end of the boot with the plastic race and could not figure out how to reinstall this component as it is solid plastic (i don't know how i didn't break it or pull it out when pulling the column)
4*so i hooked everything back up and then started it up, the service stability system light was not longer on! i turned the wheel and it had the same resistance as no power steering, i looked underneath the clumn as i turned and then snap i broke the black plastic retainer the wheel position sensor was sitting in, now the sensor just rotates around the column and the wheel is still difficult to turn

i obviously need to purchase parts, but really don't feel i'm up for this task again, the posts on caddyforums appeared as if no one else ran into these issues, any insight other than stop messing things up and let someone else fix it? i've ran into problems before but the collar not fitting when i just slipped it off 30 seconds ago was the start of my misery and since this is my daily driver it really sucks, a whole day off wasted, i wasted a $90 sensor and broke more parts in the process. i would have dealt with turning the stability system off if i would have known what i was in for

Last edited by wmskateteam; 08-18-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: help
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow holy **** man! I did mine in 45mins! No prblems or issues... ill have to find the link tomorrow for you of a writeup someone did, it helped me a lot but they said it took like 3 hours... I did it in 45mins.

Pop hood dissconnect battery, unbolt the Steering shaft upper bolt under the Hood. Take knee panel out inside care. Take out the few bolts holding the column in, slide the column towrds you unplug swps sensor. Pop old one off, slide new one on pull the little black piin out that hold sensor at center, plug it in... and then reverse steps... remember **** is mostly plastic so it will break..

Word of advise next time look for a write up then attempt!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Contact luke at lindsay cadillac! Swps was $66 bucks I think!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Launching!

i did find the write-up, but you did it the smarter way you didn't remove the u-joint portion, the write-up i saw on caddy forums talked about removing the column w/the lower shaft which is where all my problems came from, you did it the smart way.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Launching!

sojersey, did you leave the u-joint portion in tact when you removed the column?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

PM me if you need parts off a steering column. I have one I can send you for $50shipped. I only took clock spring off of it. Don't know if there is anything else missing from it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wmskateteam
sojersey, did you leave the u-joint portion in tact when you removed the column?
Yea I believe I did leave it. I only took one bolt under hood out then rest was inside the car, all went very smoothly and washonestly done in under an hour! Lol lining everything up when. Putting back was hardest
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Launching!

that bolt under the hood is the bolt connecting the lower shaft to the u-joint (where my issues are.
den PM sent
Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm Interesting. I am the one who did the write up on the caddy boards. I am not sure I understand what you guys are talking about leaving in place? Any pics? And sorry it is going so bad for you.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Launching!

i figured i was a total stooge, found out i was installing the lower (black w/u-joint shaft) backwards. i have gotten everything back together and the only issue i'm having is the rubber firewall grommet has a small insert at the end with plastic races which i'm having a hard time getting back into the boot.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
Hmmm Interesting. I am the one who did the write up on the caddy boards. I am not sure I understand what you guys are talking about leaving in place? Any pics? And sorry it is going so bad for you.
post the link

Quick Reply: need help w/steering column, swps install went wrong, daily driver down