Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Down in Jasper Alabama on the highway?.....hmmmmm 230 sounds OK. But it may be full of sh*t like you say Pat.
Yep I live about 15 miles on the Birmingham side of Jasper...just into Walker Co. I do frequent the good ole Bama Dragway. I checked mine today after beating on it on Mt Olive Rd for 12 miles.....was running 235*......It starts out like normal, I didn't know if there was anything short of an oil cooler I might do to cool this down.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, I'm officially mystified as to how in the world HPFreak managed to use the Canton sandwich adapter. I asked for some pictures via PM but didn't hear back. I tried mocking things up late last week and my plan to run the hoses towards the front of the car just won't work. I was thinking I would be able to use either 30deg or 45deg hose ends coming out of the sandwich adapter to shoot the gap between the motor mount, subframe, and block, but that doesn't look like it will work.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Well, I'm officially mystified as to how in the world HPFreak managed to use the Canton sandwich adapter. I asked for some pictures via PM but didn't hear back. I tried mocking things up late last week and my plan to run the hoses towards the front of the car just won't work. I was thinking I would be able to use either 30deg or 45deg hose ends coming out of the sandwich adapter to shoot the gap between the motor mount, subframe, and block, but that doesn't look like it will work.
I'd like to see that as well. I still can't see how it can work. I tried every which way to use a sandwich adapter. Just no room.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Wish I had found this little gem before - Greddy makes a remote filter mount with an integrated thermostat. Comes with the -10AN fittings and everything! Not sure what the oil filter thread is, but I'm sure it's one of the standard ones (3/4", 13/16", or 20mm), so finding an appropriate filter wouldn't be a problem.

If I didn't already have an Earl's remote oil thermostat with 4 -10AN o-ring fittings installed in it... But for those of you who haven't gotten that far, the Greddy piece looks to be a nice option to take care of the remote filter mount and the thermostat in one fell swoop.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Nice piece. I wonder if that thermostat is serviceable.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Why for? Just in case you grenaded your engine and got bits of it stuck in the t-stat?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

With the remote filter/cooler, have you guys noticed a change in oil pressure?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Why for? Just in case you grenaded your engine and got bits of it stuck in the t-stat?
With my luck it would start opening at 325 degrees instead of 180.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lubelizard
With the remote filter/cooler, have you guys noticed a change in oil pressure?
No not at all. I'm using 10AN though.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Here's some much better shot of the remote filter mounting.

http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/a...lerCTSV010.jpg

http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/a...lerCTSV011.jpg

http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/a...lerCTSV012.jpg
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

FYI, TPIS has an oil cooler adapter block that does not include the temp sensor hump on it. The unit is just under 1" thick, tapped for -10 AN fittings which are included, and the price is $99. It is my understanding that the V LS engines don't need the sensor fitting, so this would make a thin adapter block for plumbing in a cooler.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lubelizard
FYI, TPIS has an oil cooler adapter block that does not include the temp sensor hump on it. The unit is just under 1" thick, tapped for -10 AN fittings which are included, and the price is $99. It is my understanding that the V LS engines don't need the sensor fitting, so this would make a thin adapter block for plumbing in a cooler.
Link?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, what he ^^^ said. The only one I see when I search their site is this one, which has the sensor bung on it.

I'll be crawling around the engine a lot in the coming days, so I'll have to take a look again at that area. I think with the Kooks headers even a 1" adapter might be too thick, and even if the adapter will fit, it may not be possible to get a bolt through it (because the headers are in the way).
Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

I called to ask for the dimensions and told the guy the V didn't need the temp sensor bung. He said they also have one that is thinner since it doesn't have the bung, just under 1" thick. I recall someone saying that the TPIS adapter will fit, so this seemed like an even better deal. It's not on the website, so he said he was going to update the site.

Let me know what you discover when you check your engine. I may put the car on ramps to check myself.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Wish I had found this little gem before - Greddy makes a remote filter mount with an integrated thermostat. Comes with the -10AN fittings and everything! Not sure what the oil filter thread is, but I'm sure it's one of the standard ones (3/4", 13/16", or 20mm), so finding an appropriate filter wouldn't be a problem.

If I didn't already have an Earl's remote oil thermostat with 4 -10AN o-ring fittings installed in it... But for those of you who haven't gotten that far, the Greddy piece looks to be a nice option to take care of the remote filter mount and the thermostat in one fell swoop.
I've been researching oil coolers for the V today.
The Greddy piece (above) looks interesting.

What's the latest news on oil coolers? Guys, how are your systems working?

--Jerry

Quick Reply: oil cooler?