Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch resivoir cap BLOWN OUT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch resivoir cap BLOWN OUT

I had my oil changed today and the tech who did it last time checked all my fluids and the plunger inside the cap was about 4x the size it should be. Had some debris in the bottom of the cup and the fluid level seemed to be okay. The small plastic piece in the bottom of the plunger was out and laying in the cup and the plunger itself was detached from the cap.....tried our best to stuff it back, but because it was so big it wouldn't all fit...has a slight fold. My clutch still feels normal...any ideas on where to get a new one..other than a dealer??
Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I had my oil changed today and the tech who did it last time checked all my fluids and the plunger inside the cap was about 4x the size it should be. Had some debris in the bottom of the cup and the fluid level seemed to be okay. The small plastic piece in the bottom of the plunger was out and laying in the cup and the plunger itself was detached from the cap.....tried our best to stuff it back, but because it was so big it wouldn't all fit...has a slight fold. My clutch still feels normal...any ideas on where to get a new one..other than a dealer??
Depends how much money you want to spend. You can do a LS7 clutch for pretty cheap or Monster has many options you can choose from and their kit comes with everything you need to install, even the correct slave...I am running the Level 2 (www.monsterclutches.com/gm.html). I think Exedy has a twin disk option that a few guys are running.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

I happen to have the rubber piece and a cap I believe floating around somewhere. If you're interested, its yours just give me enough to cover shipping and lunch lol $10 should cover both.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yep I found it. Cap and plunger in great shape. Not enlarged at all. $10 to micronut154 at yahoo and its yours. Cant ship it until Monday though.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

@ raven...pm sent....well now I see you have responded. I'll get that to ya. THANKS A TON
Old 10-01-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Well after a little research and a phone call to the XpressLube in town, I now have an answer as to what happened to my plunger. I asked for the tech by name and continued our conversation from earlier today...He said "Yeah it was low last time you were in and I topped it off with power steering fluid, like I always do." I explained to him that you use brake fluid not ps fluid...and that the ps fluid is what I thought was the cause of my problem. He then said "Naaahhh man I meant to say I used brake fluid." They pulled the record of my last oil change and it didn't show anything about topping off any fluids so I suppose he's not responsible. Needless to say I'll be doin the oil changes from now on.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Power Steering Fluid has an additive in it specifically to make the seal stay supple and will slightly swell the seals to keep it from leaking. This additive is also used in oil for cars with more than 75k miles on it and is recommened for older vehicles where the seal and/or gaskets are beginning to leak.
You need to flush your clutch reservoir with new DOT 3/4 fluid.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

P/S fluid will sure swell it up. Flush you system a few times to get it all out.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys...I do have an idiot question....How exactly do I go about flushing it? I'm gonna look on here and the other forum for a thread on this, I'm sure there's one
Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Open the bleeder for the slave cylinder and take the cap off the reservoir. Just keep filling up the reservoir until you get clean looking fluid out of the bleeder. Then get someone to help bleed the clutch line of air.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevymec
Open the bleeder for the slave cylinder and take the cap off the reservoir. Just keep filling up the reservoir until you get clean looking fluid out of the bleeder. Then get someone to help bleed the clutch line of air.
Thanks a TON.....never ceases to amaze me the wealth of knowledge people on here are willing to share. I'll get on it tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Ya have fun, it sounds easier than it is. That's why us aftermarket clutch guys install remote bleeders.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Yep, that's what I figured.....Still milking the stocker at 88k. Not sure which direction I wanna go. I know that's a whole nother thread....Seems like if you ask 25 people you get 25 different opinions.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymec
This works, but Google up Phoenix Systems and have a look at their V12 DIY setup.

This is an injector (back-feed) system that can be used by one person and will force all the old fluid and residue back up so you can remove it with a turkey baster or let it overflow into a receptacle under the master cylinder.

I first used it on hydraulic clutch KTMs with amazing results. You'll have a really positive pedal (or lever) feel plus you can be sure that you have 100% fresh fluid.

Use a high temp (600+) DOT3/4 compatible brake fluid instead of the standard stuff. It's the temperature that is a major factor in the creation of residue and fluid degradation.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Launching!

You should read this, too.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

Quick Reply: Clutch resivoir cap BLOWN OUT