Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My Twin Turbo build, with pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Twin Turbo build, with pictures!

My build is finally far enough along that I feel comfortable making it public and showing you guys some pictures..... I have a tendency to get side track and start another project, hence I keep things under wraps until I'm positive I will finish it.

Like the title states, I'm fabbing up a twin turbo 05 CTS-V. My goals were pretty simple, a kit capable of 700rwhp, and be daily driver friendly. The turbo's are Turbonetics GT-K 350, which should get me very close to the power I want, however until I forge the bottom end I'll be running on "low boost" and keep it around 550 to the tires.

The intercooler is a ebay unit, with the twin 2.5" in and single 3.0" out. I had to modify it a bit by cutting the two 2.5" inlets off and plugging the hole, then welding them to the rear of the intercooler. After modifying the intercooler the inlets face the radiator. The intercooler in its stock form was just too wide.

The wastegates are the new tial 38mm V-band pieces, which are a very nice piece.

Enough description, here are the pictures.

Turbos from the front of the car.

Turbos from the driver, not much room for an air cleaner, but Ill figure something out.

Turbos from the passenger

Turbos from the rear of the car

Driver side finished

just a random shot

Front mount

Front mount again

charge pipe

cut a hole where the stock airbox was

It's hard to see, but I Tigged a AN fitting to the front timing cover for my oil return. It is in the very center of the picture.

Thats all the pictures I have now, but the car is actually farther along than the pictures show. I have all the charge pipes done, even though not pictured. I have the passenger side turbo hung and the exhaust routed, but I still need to finish welding up the wastegate. After the passenger wastegate all hat is left is to run the oil lines to the turbo, and the return lines from the turbo to the scavenge pump and timing cover.

I plan on having the car running this week and make it into the turner for some dyno time early December.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

WOW... i mean im new to the CTS-V world. But that seems DAYUM impressive. Cannot wait to see this beast running
Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

I would love to turbo mine. Can you give us an approx. cost on materials you spent on this build? im thinking this can probably be done cheaper than a procharger or maggie (using your own tools, machining, piping and labor), with more HP potential in the long run.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Great Job
Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Looks awesome! curious as to the ballpark costs as well
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Can't wait to see video of the monster!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, bump on cost! Looks great bro...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

How thick is the core on that intercooler? Going by the 3" pipe, the intercooler looks thinner.
Going by that one pic, its against the Rebar bumper, are you not worried about potential rubbing / wear spot?

So your inlet to the intercooler is ?? do you have pics of that? and you didnt have to move the washer fluid pump/container assembly?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

For everyone curious as to the cost, I would ball park it at 4k right now. But I have saved every receipt and when I have a chance I'll add them all up. The nickel and dime stuff is really starting to add up.

Originally Posted by vmapper
How thick is the core on that intercooler? Going by the 3" pipe, the intercooler looks thinner.
Going by that one pic, its against the Rebar bumper, are you not worried about potential rubbing / wear spot?

So your inlet to the intercooler is ?? do you have pics of that? and you didnt have to move the washer fluid pump/container assembly?
The intercooler is the standard china twin turbo unit with twin 2.5" inlets and a single 3" outlet. The core thickness is 3.5". You can find them all over the internet for about $200 shipped. I have had good luck with these cheap intercoolers in the past, but I will be monitoring IAT temps, if they start to get up there I can make a larger custom piece.

I can take more pictures of the IC tonight, but in short, there are no rubbing points. I welded two pieces of aluminum angle to the front side of the upper tank, then hung the intercooler from the bumper support and drilled for fasteners. The intercooler is completely suspended by these two mounting points. You can just barely see the mounting points in the second IC picture. The inlets to the IC are just behind the bumper bar, facing the radiator. From there I used a 90 degree silicon coupler facing down.

The washer fluid assembly is in it's stock location, untouched, as shown in the pictures. I'll get a picture of the charge pipes today, and it will make a lot more sense.

Last edited by GulfM3; 11-22-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Sick man! Can't wait to see/hear more.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to put turbos there but I got stopped by the air cleaner issue as well. I couldn't find anywhere at all to put them. Maybe some really shallow ones, but they'd get soaked fast.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice build man
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I was going to put turbos there but I got stopped by the air cleaner issue as well. I couldn't find anywhere at all to put them. Maybe some really shallow ones, but they'd get soaked fast.
I'm going to wedge a silicon 45 degree in there and then snake some stainless 3.5" pipe to the front of the car with filters at the end of that...I'm sure this be restrictive, so for drag strip days I plan on just running a screen.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

you lucky bastard...haha

looking good bro.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I'm going to wedge a silicon 45 degree in there and then snake some stainless 3.5" pipe to the front of the car with filters at the end of that...I'm sure this be restrictive, so for drag strip days I plan on just running a screen.
When you get that done, please take some pictures. For the life of me, I can't figure out where you're gong to fit all that.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GulfM3
For everyone curious as to the cost, I would ball park it at 4k right now. But I have saved every receipt and when I have a chance I'll add them all up. The nickel and dime stuff is really starting to add up.

The intercooler is the standard china twin turbo unit with twin 2.5" inlets and a single 3" outlet. The core thickness is 3.5". You can find them all over the internet for about $200 shipped. I have had good luck with these cheap intercoolers in the past, but I will be monitoring IAT temps, if they start to get up there I can make a larger custom piece.

I can take more pictures of the IC tonight, but in short, there are no rubbing points. I welded two pieces of aluminum angle to the front side of the upper tank, then hung the intercooler from the bumper support and drilled for fasteners. The intercooler is completely suspended by these two mounting points. You can just barely see the mounting points in the second IC picture. The inlets to the IC are just behind the bumper bar, facing the radiator. From there I used a 90 degree silicon coupler facing down.

The washer fluid assembly is in it's stock location, untouched, as shown in the pictures. I'll get a picture of the charge pipes today, and it will make a lot more sense.
just curious. Im going through the Procharger customization, and the washer fluid container was a nightmare.
I used hollow aluminum to extend it out to the side to get the 3" tube between the rad and the pump washer fluid assembly.
But in doing so, had to extend the pump wiring harness, as well as, the front fascia would then not go on as the washer fluid bottle would then hit the fog light assembly and adjustment screw... then I made a custom aluminum housing and zipped off the plastic housing hitting the container.
I look back and thought, should have just bought a smaller washer fluid container and migrate the pump/seal (which would not have been that hard) over to the new container.... seriously no room.
And the computer, same thing...
Did you dry fit your front fascia with that current driver side pluming in?
A tip of the hat for the customization your doing.
I gotta say though, 4K? all said and done... darn.
And yes, little things just never seem to end and can easily add up

Last edited by vmapper; 11-22-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great project! very nice

are those fake cats behind the turbos?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

badass, thats 4k in parts BTW, to have that system fabbed up id easily add on 3k. Badass build none the less, but how come you havent put the sway bars on yet haha.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

sick, I will be doing my TT build after I get back from Iraq about this time next year. Definitely keep us updated on the progress.

Quick Reply: My Twin Turbo build, with pictures!