Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Strongly Debating to purchase a CTS-V or not. Right Car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strongly Debating to purchase a CTS-V or not. Right Car for me?

Hey fellas, I used to own a 2006 Cadillac CTS three years ago. I loved the car, amazing. It had it's ups and downs, but hey it was a Cadillac.

I have been away from the new car scene for some time now working on my Mitsubishi VR4 4G63 AWD and miss having a nice daily to drive around in to work and to go out with.

I love Turbo cars, that is where my heart is but I really am dying to own a LSx powered car. I never owned a V8 car before and I want something that I can have that muscle feel to when driving around town but still have that classiness as well.

The car must be four door, I have been debating between the cts-v or saving and spending a little more and getting a more refined luxury car like the BMW 550. I just do not like the fact the BMW is not as raw as the cts-v in the feedback and power department, and the even more expensive price tag.

I am looking to purchase one used with around 40-50k miles max, the BMW is a lot higher in price compared to the V and also less fun of a car to drive than the V.

I know the V has notorious Rear end problems, fading button problems etc. I even had my rear on on my brand new cts 3.6 fail me at 3k miles!!!

At the end of the day I REALLY do not want to have a car that is in the shop all of the time, and make me regret buying. Reading all of these forums/reviews from these owners are making me bite my teeth right now since I really Do not know what I will get in terms of a good used V.

So any help feedback is welcomed, Thanks again....Just a little nervous.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2 DA MAX
Hey fellas, I used to own a 2006 Cadillac CTS three years ago. I loved the car, amazing. It had it's ups and downs, but hey it was a Cadillac.

I have been away from the new car scene for some time now working on my Mitsubishi VR4 4G63 AWD and miss having a nice daily to drive around in to work and to go out with.

I love Turbo cars, that is where my heart is but I really am dying to own a LSx powered car. I never owned a V8 car before and I want something that I can have that muscle feel to when driving around town but still have that classiness as well.

The car must be four door, I have been debating between the cts-v or saving and spending a little more and getting a more refined luxury car like the BMW 550. I just do not like the fact the BMW is not as raw as the cts-v in the feedback and power department, and the even more expensive price tag.

I am looking to purchase one used with around 40-50k miles max, the BMW is a lot higher in price compared to the V and also less fun of a car to drive than the V.

I know the V has notorious Rear end problems, fading button problems etc. I even had my rear on on my brand new cts 3.6 fail me at 3k miles!!!

At the end of the day I REALLY do not want to have a car that is in the shop all of the time, and make me regret buying. Reading all of these forums/reviews from these owners are making me bite my teeth right now since I really Do not know what I will get in terms of a good used V.

So any help feedback is welcomed, Thanks again....Just a little nervous.
dont worry about everything you read on the forums, there are a HANDFULL of V owners on this forum, but a TON of others out there who dont have any issues at all. You only read posts about people having problems with this and that, but how many threads do you see get created with saying "All's Well with my V".

I bought an 04 with the original rear end, I definitely drive it "spirited", I autoX the hell out of it (about 7 evens with 7 runs at each event), and have taken it to the drag strip twice. Contrary to popular belief the rear does not explode into flames the second you slip the clutch out quickly! Just like any other car, keep it maintained, and it will take care of you. I dont have any issues with the car whatsoever, it is definitely the most enjoyable car I have owned and one of the reasons is I can drive it hard without worrying about something going wrong (and I have owned a 92 3000GT, among a ton of other cars). The only thing I can think of is the leaking motor mounts, but nothing that was of grave concern that would leave me stranded. Oh, and tires, I tend to go through them fast, lol.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Teching In

buy mine and ill give you a killer deal...where are you located?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lately its been nickel and diming me to death, buy one with a warranty and dont mod and youll be fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
and dont mod and youll be fine.
lol easier said then done
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Thanks for quick feedback fellas!!!

Listen I rather mechanical problems than electrical!![hence z Germanz]
If it was up to me i would weld the rear!!! jk, but I understand where you guys are coming from makes sense.

How would the warranty work if I am not the original owner? Would the original owner have to extend it? Because I know that is the scenario with BMW.

Certain things scare me when I read about waiting months for a steering rack for a V or upper radiator hoses! I love the fact that the Engine/drivetrain is straight Chevy parts meaning cheaper parts? and more abundance and can uphold the power. [except the rear ofcourse]

Keep them comming!!!

Located in Long Island NY btw
Old 11-29-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rocket2ya
lol easier said then done
have you seen my sig lol and im under CPO warranty till next June.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

here how i look at the 2 cars:

BMW: great car, very comfortable, and very refined. but very boring to drive and you will get raped on the cost of maintaining the car. my sister has an Audi A8L, not a BMW but similar. she went to get the oil changed and the place coudlnt even find the oil filter. the Germans have made there car now to where you have to take them to a dealer to do anything to them.

CTS-V: still a great car and very comfortable, but not as refined as the BMW. it has raw power, and it a total blast to drive. the car is very easy to make a lot fast for very little money. smb is right, a handle full have had major issue but most of us havent had anything huge go wrong with our cars.

but itsslow is right, if you start modding the likely hood you will run it to some issues go up a lot (but thats true with most cars). i am on of those people too. after modding the car, i stripped an axle and messed up a speed senors. then i had an issue with my fuel pump and the a/c. the fuel pump developed a hole and started leaking gas very slowly, that was fixed under warranty. and for the a/c, a wire fell lose so the unit wouldnt turn on. that was also fixed under warranty.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

have you seen my sig lol and im under CPO warranty till next June.

What are making off the gas? Just curious. We have almost the mods.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

lately its been nickel and diming me to death, buy one with a warranty and dont mod and youll be fine.
what issues have you been having?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

I have been extremely happy with my 06. I've driven 37k miles on it (now with 58k) and have not put one dime into it except for fluid changes & mods. If there is one thing I would change is the radio...I really wish I could have a new touch screen installed without losing OEM functionality. That's about my only complaint. I drove a V2 not long ago which I really liked but a very different car. Even the wife said get the V2 but i'm in no hurry. I'm still enjoying the V1 for now. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get one that's still under warranty and you're set. Are you on DSMTalk?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by renzos23

What are making off the gas? Just curious. We have almost the mods.
400 on motor, still untocuhed stock throttle body and intake manifold which are holding me back. and no u/d pulley
Originally Posted by smbstyle
what issues have you been having?
o2 sensor went a month ago, light just came on for the other one last week, thats 225 bucks right there.

i had the Nav replaced when i first bought it due to peeling buttons that was in march 2009, and the buttons are already starting to peel again.

battery has died twice since i bought it but i cant blame that on the car.

now the tpms arent working so i gotta figure out WTF happened with that.

Its definetly a LOVE-HATE relationship.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

My car has some miles on it and it hasnt given me any problems... yet. (Knock on wood)! lol

Runs, drives and performs like a 30k mile car.

I much prefer the V2 over the V1 but they are still too expensive for my blood. Coming stock with 556hp is hard to beat. Change the pulleys, intake, full exhaust and tune will get you close to 700hp in a 4 door!! lol But... my V1 is still a sexy car and extremely fun to drive! Much more affordable obviously and in some ways, i prefer the body styling over the V2. Just wish it made the power the V2 does and came with that updated V2 interior!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
My car has some miles on it and it hasnt given me any problems... yet. (Knock on wood)! lol

Runs, drives and performs like a 30k mile car.

I much prefer the V2 over the V1 but they are still too expensive for my blood. Coming stock with 556hp is hard to beat. Change the pulleys, intake, full exhaust and tune will get you close to 700hp in a 4 door!! lol But... my V1 is still a sexy car and extremely fun to drive! Much more affordable obviously and in some ways, i prefer the body styling over the V2. Just wish it made the power the V2 does and came with that updated V2 interior!
Thats because you bought it with high mileage so all that **** has been replaced already lol
Old 11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

400 on motor, still untocuhed stock throttle body and intake manifold which are holding me back. and no u/d pulley

o2 sensor went a month ago, light just came on for the other one last week, thats 225 bucks right there.

i had the Nav replaced when i first bought it due to peeling buttons that was in march 2009, and the buttons are already starting to peel again.

battery has died twice since i bought it but i cant blame that on the car.

now the tpms arent working so i gotta figure out WTF happened with that.

Its definetly a LOVE-HATE relationship.
at least its nothing that would leave you stranded somewhere or on the side of the highway!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

cts-v. the car for everybody....
Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious if you're on the galantvr4 board?

I bought my '07 early last summer and love it. There are a few issues with it, such as motor mounts (for me now), but overall it's pretty minor. I had the same issues with my '06 GTO that I bought new and never abused, so it's just GM cheapening out. Still, considering the important things are there, no biggie. I don't plan on doing anything too serious and especially in the 'drag racing' part (too many other better chassis' for that), but it makes a great DD and gets good mileage.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM

I lurk around DSM talk here and their, don't really post much their.
Yes I am on galantvr4.org, but rarely post.

So under warranty is my best bet I assume.

Anyone had major issues with steering pump? or is that just a handful of people?

I've never driven one, once I get a chance this week I will let you guys know.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

CTS-V FTW... If not you could buy my Legacy GT> Great bolted/tuned daily turbo car!

Quick Reply: Strongly Debating to purchase a CTS-V or not. Right Car for me?