Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New KATECH LS9R clutch kit for CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New KATECH LS9R clutch kit for CTS-V

We have expanded our LS9R clutch kit to another model, the 2004-2007 CTS-V. The LS9R is available for pre-order with shipment in January.

-For 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V
-Twin disk clutch
-Enhanced ZR1 clutch disks and pressure plate
-Aluminum flywheel with 6 bolt pattern for standard LS engines
-Includes flywheel bolts
-Includes pressure plate bolts
-8lbs lighter than the stock Z06 clutch/flywheel assembly
-Flywheel weighs 12.0lbs.
-Drives like a stock ZR1 - stock pedal feel
-960+ ft-lbs torque capacity (20% over LS9X clutch)
-No neutral noise or chattering
-All of the benefits of a twin disk clutch and none of the trade-offs

http://store.katechengines.com/ls9r-...ts-v-p248.aspx

Last edited by Katech_Jason; 12-02-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You have no idea how bad I want this to be available this month!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...twin-disk.html

Yeah thats me, and you're welcome. You can make checks payable to

Bobby Cook

Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

It is available. Its always been available. You just bolt it in like I tried to tell them a month ago and so strongly disagreed with me.

Edit: noticed this is the R with more clamp so they have to mod or manufacture this pressure plate hence the lead time over the LS9X

Last edited by raven154; 12-02-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The LS9X is available now if you're okay with the 800 ft-lbs torque capacity.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...kit-cts-v.html
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to check in and see the this would fall under my section 179 so I can write it off on taxes since my V is my primary work vehicle...hmmmmm... My accountant HATES my ideas.....
Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
The LS9X is available now if you're okay with the 800 ft-lbs torque capacity.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...kit-cts-v.html
I really wish you would have told me this on Monday when we spoke on the phone. Oh well.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I really wish you would have told me this on Monday when we spoke on the phone. Oh well.
We just finished up the prototype testing today. Both of these are brand new.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I need to check in and see the this would fall under my section 179 so I can write it off on taxes since my V is my primary work vehicle...hmmmmm... My accountant HATES my ideas.....
YES, it is since its a "company sponsored" vehicle for car shows and racing events . My accountant hates mine too but they are legal ,lol.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Nice! But at $1400, I'll have to wait until you have another one of those 20% off sales.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not to sure how our car will like a 12lb flywheel. Maintain near stock pedal feel and driveability, but sacrifice most of that with a 12lb flywheel.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

This whole setup is only 8lbs lighter than the stock LS7 setup. Te flywheel is light but the pressure plate weighs a lot.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...twin-disk.html

Yeah thats me, and you're welcome. You can make checks payable to

Bobby Cook

Thanks
Just read this for the first time. Yikes! Glad it all ended well.

After driving ronr's car yesterday and feeling absolutely no parade clunk with Katech's LS9 clutch kit installed, I'm 100% sold. Geez, I absolutely HATE the parade clunk in my car, and after a quick check of my piggybank I'm now determined to do a new clutch.

Ques:

1. Why does this setup eliminate the parade clunk?

2. Do all twin-disk clutch setups do this?

3. If other clutches minimize the PC, why haven't I heard anyone talking about this before (instead of all the grip-slip-chatter talk that everyone seems to emphasize)?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rand49er

After driving ronr's car yesterday and feeling absolutely no parade clunk with Katech's LS9 clutch kit installed, I'm 100% sold. Geez, I absolutely HATE the parade clunk in my car, and after a quick check of my piggybank I'm now determined to do a new clutch.

Ques:

3. If other clutches minimize the PC, why haven't I heard anyone talking about this before (instead of all the grip-slip-chatter talk that everyone seems to emphasize)?
Do it Randy. Especially with your V...it's worthy of it. It is the non sprung hub working with a solid flywheel that is compounding your problem. The UUC flywheel was a great mod for it's time, but better alternatives are out there now. Plus you'll enjoy a great car even more.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Do it Randy. Especially with your V...it's worthy of it. It is the non sprung hub working with a solid flywheel that is compounding your problem. The UUC flywheel was a great mod for it's time, but better alternatives are out there now. Plus you'll enjoy a great car even more.
I hear ya, and I can see why mine might have gotten worse going with the solid FW, but why is a sprung clutch curing this problem when a sprung FW didn't? Different spring rates are certainly at issue ... could it be that simple ... I mean, different spring rates within the mechanical component links comprising the torque transferring system?

Last edited by rand49er; 12-05-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: change wording
Old 12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Randy
I'm only speculating here but here is my spin on dual mass from things I've come across. Audi, BMW, Mercedes all have them. The distinct advantage is low speed, high gear driveability. The heavy flywheel has so much momentum that shifting from 1st to 4th (CAGS) with no bog, no lurch, and no hesitation when you resume accelerating is a direct result of the dual mass design. Low speed tractability means less down shifting and smoother acceleration. You gotta admit that the V in stock form could tool around in 4th below 20mph pretty smoothly. No jerking, no surging. Dual mass clutches are supposed to eliminate gear rattle and get better gas mileage. All great attributes for the "average" buyer. That's the dual mass advantage. That's hard to do with a performance clutch. The trade off in the V was that the shock to the drive train when the 40lb flywheel engaged was not always taken up by the 2 piece design especially at low speed. Add a gigantic 70mm drive shaft and all the rubber do-dads and "parade clunk" (marketing double talk)was born. Clutches like Monster, Exedy, LS9 don't perform as well when "lugged" like a dual mass. I bet they wouldn't work well with CAGS at all.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tool around at 25 MPH in 4th gear and be in 6th gear at 35 MPH was indeed my driving style ... pre-lightweight FW, at least while driving in our small midwestern town. That gear rattling (as you call it) is a horrifying sound that keeps me in the lower gears longer, now ... no lugging any more!

Further, that "shock to the drivetrain when the 40 lb flywheel engaged" isn't the problem so much as when it disengages at slow speed as when depressing the clutch pedal.

And, if that clunk is coming from the two FW masses (separated by a series of springs) coming together, then why with a springless flywheel (the UUC) and springless OEM clutch am I still getting that clunk? Where the blazes is it coming from? Something in there is twisting up when the clutch is engaged and letting go when I push in the clutch pedal. Rubber do-dads? ... in the driveshaft?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Just slightly off topic, F-bodies had CAGS and no dual mass flywheel. They were 400lbs lighter, but also had taller gearing.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

They also had a rear with less backlash and and driveshaft with real u-joints.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by rand49er

Ques:

1. Parade clunk comes from lashing the drivetrain. If you have a non-sprung hub clutch as Mike states below he is correct when he says it is compounding the problem. The LS9 clutch is a sprung hub and it has two of them. The springs are tuned for smoothness so a customer buying a $117,000 ZR1 does not complain about a clunking noise.

2. It depends on if its a sprung hub and how those springs are tuned.

3. This point drives home the pricing argument of twin disk clutches. In a couple of my threads about this clutch I've seen comments like "$1400!, you can have a brand X clutch that holds xxx ft-lbs for $500!" Yes, you can, but the increase in the pressure plate clamp load required and friction materials in its design meet that torque capacity is going to have drivability trade-offs like you mention. That's the beauty of this clutch. It's smooth as silk and has 800 ft-lbs of torque capacity. That's because it has two rather large organic disks.

Clutches like Monster, Exedy, LS9 don't perform as well when "lugged" like a dual mass. I bet they wouldn't work well with CAGS at all.
The ZR1 has CAGS.

Quick Reply: New KATECH LS9R clutch kit for CTS-V