Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need help with an engine code

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with an engine code

P0101 Intake is tight with no leaks from the air filter to the TB. I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor and it stayed off for a couple of days. Only seems to happen cruising and when its really cold out IE. morning or night...

I have a CAI installed from the dealer when new. It was since replaced with a new one but its just a filter in the stock location. Could this cause the issue?

Last edited by kaddo101; 12-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

im having the same issue
po100 and po300
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the P0300...just found out its due to another broken valve spring.

Good luck, those codes are a bitch to diagnose.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem: Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit.

P0100 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction: Same thing as above essentially.

P0300 - Diagnostic Code - Random Misfire: We all know what that means.

Edit: Hey Whisler...haha

Edit #2: OBD-II CEL Code List
Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

My question is do I need to replace my MAF, is this a common problem or do I need to start to look for a wiring problem? It doesnt stay on, only happens every so often and then goes away ??? Before I replace it I was just looking for some input, advice, maybe a common problem with these cars?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, few things. what did you clean the MAF with?
It better have been with MAF cleaner and nothing else (ie. brake cleaner)
Also, you mention CAI, would this contain a K&N... new filters will pull extra oil off the filter and coat the MAF filaments.
Ideally you would want to scan and log the Maf Hz and IAT to see what is going on.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vmapper
well, few things. what did you clean the MAF with?
It better have been with MAF cleaner and nothing else (ie. brake cleaner)
Also, you mention CAI, would this contain a K&N... new filters will pull extra oil off the filter and coat the MAF filaments.
Ideally you would want to scan and log the Maf Hz and IAT to see what is going on.
Yes I only use the proper tools for the job lol. I cleaned it with MAF cleaner and the intake is like 20K miles so its not an oil issue. Its still clean, I checked it. Looks good to, never really driving in rain/dirt roads. Anyhow so I will use my fathers snap on scan tool and log when it happens? The check engine light has been off for two days now ??? Comes and goes, I cant stand it because it is training me not to care about the engine light. So when something DOES go wrong I wont care.... So yeah any ideas?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This info from a knowledgeable guy on the HP Tuners board may help if you have access to HPT software.....
"If everthing checks out like I said, then go to Engine Diagnostics > Airflow > Maximum Delta Airflow - P0101 Error. Then mutiply the whole table by 1.25.
If the P0101 code still returns, then multiply that table by 1.25 again. Russ Kemp"

The same basic parameters are also in EFILive, they're just named differently.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham

P0300 - Diagnostic Code - Random Misfire: We all know what that means.

Edit: Hey Whisler...haha
Damn. No mercy at all.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scatillac
This info from a knowledgeable guy on the HP Tuners board may help if you have access to HPT software.....
"If everthing checks out like I said, then go to Engine Diagnostics > Airflow > Maximum Delta Airflow - P0101 Error. Then mutiply the whole table by 1.25.
If the P0101 code still returns, then multiply that table by 1.25 again. Russ Kemp"

The same basic parameters are also in EFILive, they're just named differently.
Yeah I am new to this platform so I do not know much abotu the software. I was big into bmw's and 3KGT Vr-4's. Odd I know euro tuner to import tuner. Now I am doing the american car thing lol. So I will have my car tuned soon because I will be installing my LT this weekend. Could a tuner do this if I provide him with this info?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just FWIW, my Aurora does the exact same thing when it is really cold out. Maybe twice a winter it will set a P0101 code, but show no driveability problems when it happens (generally it is when idling/low throttle).

So far all I've done is reset the code and clean the sensor. It rarely comes back and I've yet to have any real problem.

If you get the code set often, you could always revert the CAI just to see. That would rule it out (or identify the culprit).

According to the FSM, it's sort of a subtle problem that results from comparing the MAF reading to the calculated MAF expected based on IAT, MAP, and throttle position. So some skew in those would seem capable of triggering it.

Mine would sometimes set when pulling out of the garage on very cold days, and so I wonder if it isn't that the IAT doesn't react quickly enough, and the real air is so much denser than it "expects".
Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same thing. Random P0101 code. Comes and goes on its own. Issue started after installing 90mm TB, New K&N Filter (No CAI) and Tune. Gonna clean MAF in spring an see if that fixes it...keep us updated and let us know if you get if fixed.

Quick Reply: Need help with an engine code