Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What would I make with a maggie 112?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are closed for the Holidays we can get you a price next week. Polished or Satin?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vmapper
who gives a rats *** if you have 300ft lbs at 2000rpm. quite useless when you are ripping through the gears in the upper rpm, when would or for how long (in Milliseconds) are you in the 2000 rpm range? yea, never when your foot is into it after 1st gear.
well, i was just saying that my 408 made 350rwtq at 2k rpms, but it rose from there, sheesh.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TCP1
They are closed for the Holidays we can get you a price next week. Polished or Satin?
Ill take a price on a satin one when you get them.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by the jester 812
well, i was just saying that my 408 made 350rwtq at 2k rpms, but it rose from there, sheesh.
Sounds good, im just not a fan of N/A and we all know a V1 aint gonna handle a 200 shot on a 408 lol. I want BOOST.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Sounds good, im just not a fan of N/A and we all know a V1 aint gonna handle a 200 shot on a 408 lol. I want BOOST.
Which is gonna be the other problem you might run into. Throwing a maggie and bottle on a stock motor is starting to push it's limit's. I'd be real hesitant to be running close to 600rwhp on a stock motor. Especially if it's your DD. Would it last a while, probably. But you could start with the big cube built motor first and make 500rwhp. Then if you're feeling froggy down the road throw some FI on it since it's already built.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Which is gonna be the other problem you might run into. Throwing a maggie and bottle on a stock motor is starting to push it's limit's. I'd be real hesitant to be running close to 600rwhp on a stock motor. Especially if it's your DD. Would it last a while, probably. But you could start with the big cube built motor first and make 500rwhp. Then if you're feeling froggy down the road throw some FI on it since it's already built.
It wouldnt be sprayed but maybe once a month. Thats about what it gets now. I dont wanna build the car too much just want a fun car that makes decent power. Built motor will open me up to further spend another 15-20k down the road on a boosted setup, built tranny, and built rear......not what i want in this car.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What size shot are you running now? What about doing work to your stock heads and getting a FAST? Should put you around 450rwhp NA and then the 100-150 shot just for good measure. If you're only using the bottle once a month you only should have to fill 3-4 times a year. The headwork and FAST setup will set you back about 2k. And if you're really feeling it switch to a direct port system, which is pretty easy with a FAST.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
What size shot are you running now? What about doing work to your stock heads and getting a FAST? Should put you around 450rwhp NA and then the 100-150 shot just for good measure. If you're only using the bottle once a month you only should have to fill 3-4 times a year. The headwork and FAST setup will set you back about 2k. And if you're really feeling it switch to a direct port system, which is pretty easy with a FAST.
FAST+Injectors+ls2 TB= 1200
Ported heads=1300-1700
boost a pump=300

2500+tune for about 40rwhp/15rwtq just isnt gonna cut it. Ive thought about it but it just isnt gonna make me happy. Sounds like a 112 isnt either. Oh well, isnt it hard to have a little money to play with and not know how to spend it lol. Or its still not enough to do what you want.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For street driving and simplicity, it's tough to beat a MP-112, IMHO. Driveability is exactly like stock, it feels like a big block, and it's reversible.

However, if you're looking at peak numbers because you're going to take it to the strip, then another route might be better. The fact that you don't like filling a bottle up (I agree 100%) makes nitrous seem like a wrong decision, so maybe a 408 with good breathing heads and a peaky cam is the way to go.

Having said that, have you ever driven a maggied V? If not, is there anyone near you who'd let you get behind the wheel of theirs? It might be convincing one way or the other to have that first-hand experience. It sure as heck convinced me as to what to do. I would never go back.

Oh, and fwiw, here's my dyno graph just for comparison purposes. This is with the stock FW which might have affected it on a DynoJet, but I don't think affects it on a Mustang as shown below. Note the rather low boost levels as mentioned by Twitch, above ... never even gets to 6 psi. An overdriven 8" crank pulley would improve that.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive been wondering that as well, just put me in the passenger seat is all i really need. Im not all about peak since i dont plan on running it anymore. I know how much i like the torque with nitrous. I like that part with the maggie. But I also worry that with the cam i have i wont see much boost at all do to the amount of overlap in the cam.

So anyone within an hr of me in Harford county MD who would take me for a ride in a maggied V? Ill return the favor and give you a ride in a cammed/sprayed V.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Twitch1
Another thing to think about is with the headers, your boost will be lower than on an otherwise stock V. Now I'm assuming the cam will flow more air. So your boost will be even lower. You'll be flowing more air and HP through the motor, it just wont show up as high boost.
Tony
Guys, I am an ignorant newb when it comes to blowers, but in regards to the quote above, on a Maggie'd V would the headers actually hurt the results (if all other factors were the same). I know headers help flow more air, but if they would lower the boost I would think that would negatively affect the power output.

So, in my hypothetical...which setup would make more: 100% stock motor with a maggie OR a stock motor, with only headers, with a maggie?

LAW
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheLAW
Guys, I am an ignorant newb when it comes to blowers, but in regards to the quote above, on a Maggie'd V would the headers actually hurt the results (if all other factors were the same). I know headers help flow more air, but if they would lower the boost I would think that would negatively affect the power output.

So, in my hypothetical...which setup would make more: 100% stock motor with a maggie OR a stock motor, with only headers, with a maggie?

LAW
Youll make the same power, but you wont be pushing the motor as hard with long tubes because it doesnt stuff more air into the motor then the manifolds can get rid of. Its like having a small turbo at 30psi and making 500, and having a bigger turbo at 18psi and making 500. The motor and turbo are more efficient but putting out the same power with less effort.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheLAW

LAW
Its all about efficiency. An Engine is just an air pump.
i would think a Maggie with headers would yield more power, even if the boost drops a tad... (pending you dont limit the mechanics of the blower)

A classic example is Bobs monster Procharged CTS-V.
With 14.4lbs of boost made 809 rwhp....
changing the intake manifold...(LS2 manifold to Fast 92mm)
Boost dropped to 12.4lbs but the car then made 864.

Reference
Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

More pressure can mean more heat.
More heated air is less density.
Pressure does not equate to horsepower.
Density of the air and the volume of air moved,
like what's said above . . efficiency.
Our maggied cars become 'beast' in 30* weather, because of density.
A big 3.3 whipple or even a 2.3 TVS will do better than a 1.8 maggie(112) because,
the air density is usually greated because it does not heat up as quickly.
Size matters if bigger is cooler. Heat soaked is a different story.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure how a higher-overlap cam would affect things. All else being equal (lift, duration, lobe profile, etc), compared to a stock V cam that would be interesting experiment. Could be that you end up blowing or shortcircuiting too much A/F mix right on out the exhaust ports without capturing it in the cylinders to make power. Or, it may be that you scavenge the cylinders of exhaust gases just a wee bit better. Somewhere there there's a best compromise.

What we need is an engine dyno where we can dream up all these senarios and instantly find out what's what. Ri-i-i-ght.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rand49er
Not sure how a higher-overlap cam would affect things. All else being equal (lift, duration, lobe profile, etc), compared to a stock V cam that would be interesting experiment. Could be that you end up blowing or shortcircuiting too much A/F mix right on out the exhaust ports without capturing it in the cylinders to make power. Or, it may be that you scavenge the cylinders of exhaust gases just a wee bit better. Somewhere there there's a best compromise.

What we need is an engine dyno where we can dream up all these senarios and instantly find out what's what. Ri-i-i-ght.
Im thinking the cam will waste boost personally. Now im looking into a set of used AFR 205s and a FAST 90/92 and bump it to 150 shot. I dont know these decisions suck. I wanna bite the bullet ans atrt a turbo LSX fox budget build but budgets always get blown to hell lol.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

An Incorrect cam choice would waste boost, sure.

The proper cam would allow boost air, with a large separation for full compression and a longer higher exhaust to allow all forced air out, longest time possible. = hellofa setup.
Bob at brute can probably tell you more on good blower cam characteristics.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea I had no intentions to go boosted when i chose the cam and was just hoping this c am wouldnt really kill it for me but its not looking promising. Well see ill keep everyone updated, i could always throw a maggie on it see how it runs and then if its real bad drop the coin on a blower cam.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I made 487 whp with a 112 and 1 7/8" Kooks headers through the stock exhaust with a tune. I wouldn't worry about your cam for the moment...I started a thread in the GEN 3 engine board on here not too long ago and one of the cams recommended to me was not too far off from what you have, although it was advised to install it with 4* advance.

I am also looking into getting the 112 ported, seems the Ford guys pick up quite a bit with lower IAT's with these things ported.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Launching!

If I could toss a blower on for <$3,000, it's be almost impossible to resist.

Seems as though it's going to be easily 5K+ by the time all is said and done, and that's a chunk of cash I can put towards a V2.

To add to the price problem, it's going to give you a Big Block torque curve that'll basically make 1st gear useless(assuming your car is stock like mine) as wheelhop will destroy the driveline. Unless I want to dump more money into that problem.

Better for me to keep this car stock(ish). This sucks - I must be getting old...

Do the V2's have wheelhop issues like the V1's?

Quick Reply: What would I make with a maggie 112?