Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Watching Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011 | 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default Watching Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale

Just thinking about the potential collectors value of a 2004 V in 25 years and whether or not it's worth putting one away now in a barn somewhere.
Old 01-21-2011 | 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe an 07 since there were so few made.
Old 01-21-2011 | 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

First year of production provenance for the 2004 and scarcity for the 07.
Old 01-22-2011 | 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would say no. I don't see the era of classics applying like they do now to our generation of cars in 25 years. Anyone dying to buy cars from 1976? Not many.
Old 01-22-2011 | 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

I dunno I'd pay upwards of $4000 for a 76 DeVille with the fuel injected 500 or a 77 Seville. Ok, I see your point.
Old 01-22-2011 | 01:53 PM
Launching!

My '05 has almost 7,000 miles now, certainly in collector's range mileage-wise, but I could be dead in 25 years so I'm driving the damn thing.
Old 01-22-2011 | 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Right On!!
Old 01-22-2011 | 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Posted on another thread:

The rebirth of Cadillac and it's efforts to "re-brand" it's legacy can only help out the V1 guys. Sure, there was a couple years delay in the effort when the economy turned sour and GM was on the ropes, but they have certainly picked up where they left off. The more they re-invent the brand and collect the respect of the automotive press, the more our V1s becomes a car of historical importance. Value on older cars skyrocket because they represent a turning point in the history of a car company or the auto industry. The V1 was the first American qualified car in history to compete with the foreign luxury sport sedans and the benchmark for Cadillac's new era. So even though they have become dated, and by today's standard a stock V1 no longer stands way above others in terms of performance, I for one, think that some day in the future, these cars will have value to collectors for their significance to Cadillac as a company. The fact that the general public sometimes has trouble discerning the V1 from the V2 just shows that it's about Cadillac and performance and the sales and marketing efforts that have so far been quite successful.
Old 01-22-2011 | 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

10k cars made, yes it could be a colelctor, but will it be that sought after car like the yenko? Hell no, it will be wanted by a few people like those that like Deloreans lol.
Old 01-22-2011 | 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

I picked this rag up while I was traveling on business for this article. Of note, I really liked the 76-79 Seville and I owned a 95 Fleetwood, and now an 05 CTS-V so I am well represented in this article. Enjoy.

http://kevinallenmoore.com/photo/d/8...e+Cadllacs.pdf
Old 01-22-2011 | 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu

The rebirth of Cadillac and it's efforts to "re-brand" it's legacy can only help out the V1 guys. Sure, there was a couple years delay in the effort when the economy turned sour and GM was on the ropes, but they have certainly picked up where they left off. The more they re-invent the brand and collect the respect of the automotive press, the more our V1s becomes a car of historical importance. Value on older cars skyrocket because they represent a turning point in the history of a car company or the auto industry. The V1 was the first American qualified car in history to compete with the foreign luxury sport sedans and the benchmark for Cadillac's new era. So even though they have become dated, and by today's standard a stock V1 no longer stands way above others in terms of performance, I for one, think that some day in the future, these cars will have value to collectors for their significance to Cadillac as a company. The fact that the general public sometimes has trouble discerning the V1 from the V2 just shows that it's about Cadillac and performance and the sales and marketing efforts that have so far been quite successful.
You are probably right because everytime I watch a classic car show on tv, there is some old car that I really havent heard much of that collectors love because it was the car that turned the company around or something similar.
Old 01-22-2011 | 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ehh I hope not... mine will be so high mileage and far from stock that when I see one go for $80k it'll just make me sick.

That said, it seems they get rarer by the day. I know I did my part by totaling my first one...
Old 01-22-2011 | 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
... Anyone dying to buy cars from 1976? Not many.
1974 was the low point in performance, and '76 was only very marginally better than '75 because catalytic converters were better and more (barely) performance could be gotten then. I had a '76 Pontiac that I bought brand new, and I have absolutely no desire to buy one again, even a rotisseried one.

I love watching the Barrett-Jackson auction, but I have mixed feelings. Without a wad of discretionary cash and a heated pole barn, that's all I can do ... watch.
Old 01-24-2011 | 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu

Excellent post, sir! I couldn't have said it better myself.