Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Prothane "Six Shooter" driveshaft couplers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....oh and my DS carrier bearing is garbage too from runnin grey mounts and creating a bad deflection angle. So far so good though, triflow and dynamat are my friends!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

4door... I think I have the same issue with my carrier bearing im running the CS MM and trans mount do you think this is the cause of the driveshaft issue?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raven154
You most likely have an alignment issue with the drivshaft then. The stock one will flex and hide the imperfection that the revshift one will not. On the other forum there is discussion on shimming the drive shaft or transmission for proper alignment. Or it could just be a shitty part. It happens.
This is 100% correct, we learned it the hard way. The factory coupler is soft and will mask drive line alignment issues. Our coupler won't tolerate a drive line that is out of alignment either.
A sagging transmission mount is a major cause of coupler failure,both OEM and aftermarket.When the rear of the trans drops down due to a worn mount, the transmission output shaft is no longer in a straight line with (or pointing directly at) the pinion on the rear diff. With this misalignment the coupler is now being expected to act like a U-joint, this is not what it was designed to do, the flexing back and forth as the coupler rotates is one thing that can kill the OEM couplers prematurely (the constant use of a lead foot is the other cause), the stiffer aftermarket couplers really hate this flexing action. A new transmission mount or shims will get the trans output shaft back to its original height and pointing directly at the rear diff pinion. The shims are a cheaper fix, but will be an "as required" trial and error type of affair.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MotorMounts
This is 100% correct, we learned it the hard way. The factory coupler is soft and will mask drive line alignment issues. Our coupler won't tolerate a drive line that is out of alignment either.
A sagging transmission mount is a major cause of coupler failure,both OEM and aftermarket.When the rear of the trans drops down due to a worn mount, the transmission output shaft is no longer in a straight line with (or pointing directly at) the pinion on the rear diff. With this misalignment the coupler is now being expected to act like a U-joint, this is not what it was designed to do, the flexing back and forth as the coupler rotates is one thing that can kill the OEM couplers prematurely (the constant use of a lead foot is the other cause), the stiffer aftermarket couplers really hate this flexing action. A new transmission mount or shims will get the trans output shaft back to its original height and pointing directly at the rear diff pinion. The shims are a cheaper fix, but will be an "as required" trial and error type of affair.

I just installed the creative steel trans mount and very happy with the results. Great product, dealership was stumped when they put in new trans and couldn't explain why shifting was still hard and some gears just couldn't be selected at time. All of that is fixed with the trans mount. I should have bought this 2 years ago.

Here is a picture of the creative steel installed and I am holding the stock one up for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails Prothane "Six Shooter" driveshaft couplers-img_20110806_160306.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lubelizard
That is great tech info killernoodle. However, I'd rather support Max and CS. There are so few vendors supporting the aftermarket V1 community with decent products, giving my money to Prothane would be like a drop in a bucket. I think there is a nominal price diff between Prothane, Revshift, and Creative Steel, so consumer cost is not much of a factor.
I am pretty sure Revshift is the smallest company out of all three that you mentioned. So you aren't really supporting small business as best as you could be. Besides, Revshift is located in Metro Detroit, right down the street from where Cadillacs are designed.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see the disc located on CS' site, but I think I am about to get the tranny mount as their shifter bushings rocked!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlexDisc
I am pretty sure Revshift is the smallest company out of all three that you mentioned. So you aren't really supporting small business as best as you could be. Besides, Revshift is located in Metro Detroit, right down the street from where Cadillacs are designed.
the point was that CS has done more for the dead platform of the V1. That is why they deserve the support. No ones knocking rev shift .. the more aftermarket vendors the better but last time i checked they don't offer a bolt 8.8 rear end option. CS just has more invested into the V1.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is destroyed on my V. I found a piece of it jammed up on top of the trans. How important is this piece?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Mine is destroyed on my V. I found a piece of it jammed up on top of the trans. How important is this piece?
Important enough to connect your drive line!?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
Important enough to connect your drive line!?
I was asking what its main purpose was. It seems like the rubber just surrounds the mounting points and prevents vibrations, but I have no vibrations at high speeds?

Quick Reply: Prothane "Six Shooter" driveshaft couplers