Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i looked into doing a LPE TVS1900 package as well. After talking with serval local shops close to my area (DFW), i was told the $11,000 that package is advertised as costing is mainly more the name. My shop here is DFW said they can do the exact samething (minus the Lingenfelter FRCs) for around $8,000 to $8,500. And then told me if I really wanted the FRCs, they would get me some metal covers. If you shop around, you will find that with LPE, you are paying for the name. Just like most tuning companies that are out there, they will bloat there prices because of the letters that comes with with the build. HPE and D3 are the the same way. IMO, the only difference between D3 and HPE/LPE is that D3 is a Cadillac Speciality shope. Where as HPE/LPE are engine platform shops.

And you didnt buy something that has (or near) the same things as a V2. V2 was a much more planned platform and has a lot better interior. The fastest V1s i have ever heard about are running in the mid to low 11s with built rears and 800+ hp at the wheels. With the V2, do an pulley, intake, tune, and DRs and you will have a low 11 high 10 car that gives the V1 400 pounds of weight. If you have ever sat in or been near a V2, it make almost every V1 look like a pile a dog **** (IMO).

The more I look at the V1, the more I have realized that it will never be able to do what I wanted it to do. Which is why I will be ditching the V1 in the future and picking myself up something that is really fast. Like a C6Z06...

Edit: But its your money...if it makes you happy, send it any way you please.
Go ahead and jump at the $8,500 and I will be happy to source you a set of FRC's for $2,400 and you'll still be in for under the $11,000 tag.....I mean what's $100 between friends....And I'll even throw in a Lingenfelter windshield decal free of charge.....
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
Go ahead and jump at the $8,500 and I will be happy to source you a set of FRC's for $2,400 and you'll still be in for under the $11,000 tag.....I mean what's $100 between friends....And I'll even throw in a Lingenfelter windshield decal free of charge.....
douche bag...haha...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like Dom already said, you're going to be at 37k with the blower so why not pay the extra 5k and just get a used V2? Just a much better all around car. Even for a full custom setup you shouldn't be paying over 9k, and the name isn't going to add 2k to the sale price. Has anyone looked at the vehicles they're trying to sell on there website? A twin turbo 02 ZO6 only making 550hp for 42k?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya, IMO I wouldn't do it, I would just save up more and get the V2, there is a lot more to the V2 than just the power, the overall feel of the car, not to mention the suspension and interior. V1 would never be able to touch it for what you could buy a used one for.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vette0009
I expect suppliers to stick to their original Bid

If I add something that's a different matter.

Personally I'd have East Coast Supercharging do the install

They have a Awesome track record, And the price's are right

Their every bit as expert as Lingenfelter
Spent some time with them on the phone today-I'm impressed. If I was doing this work tomorrow ECS would be # 1 choice. They have done multiple 1900 mounts on CTS-Vs, "modification is to the cowl area and minimal." Now that's what the customer likes to hear! Several others have sent me quotes, all offering the smaller and older 1200 model. Lingenfelter is the only other manufacturer so far to start off with the 1900 when quoting the job. Why would anyone want to spend that kind of money and end up with a unit from 5 years ago? they're just pushing the 1200 because they are likely getting them real cheap and they're easy to bolt up. I still remain sort of confused about the header question. East Coast says "gotta do it," while Lingenfelter feels not that important. I think it may be wise to save the 2 grand that the headers would cost-can always add them later. Yeah-2 K after all is said and done and most shops are all about in the same neighborhood on this.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ITSAV
ya, IMO I wouldn't do it, I would just save up more and get the V2, there is a lot more to the V2 than just the power, the overall feel of the car, not to mention the suspension and interior. V1 would never be able to touch it for what you could buy a used one for.
the main reason why are V1 values are falling like a fat kid out of an air plane and the V2 value is holding strong.

for instance...
the sale price of my V in March of 2007 was a hair over 56k. 3 years and 32,000 miles, i bought it for 27,400. more the 50% decline in value in three years.

some 2009s are still going for over 50k. with some of the higher mileage ones for for low to mid 40s.

if you plan of driving that car, then just because is says LPE on it will not help you sell it anymore. if you plan on having it as a show car, then it will hold a little. a serious car collect will not want a LPE CTS-V with 100,000 miles on the clock. they will want it with under 10k, but ideally under 5k miles. (IMO)

EDIT:
Originally Posted by LS2duc
Spent some time with them on the phone today-I'm impressed. If I was doing this work tomorrow ECS would be # 1 choice. They have done multiple 1900 mounts on CTS-Vs, "modification is to the cowl area and minimal." Now that's what the customer likes to hear! Several others have sent me quotes, all offering the smaller and older 1200 model. Lingenfelter is the only other manufacturer so far to start off with the 1900 when quoting the job. Why would anyone want to spend that kind of money and end up with a unit from 5 years ago? they're just pushing the 1200 because they are likely getting them real cheap and they're easy to bolt up. I still remain sort of confused about the header question. East Coast says "gotta do it," while Lingenfelter feels not that important. I think it may be wise to save the 2 grand that the headers would cost-can always add them later. Yeah-2 K after all is said and done and most shops are all about in the same neighborhood on this.
are they a must have...no. are the highly recommended, yes. just look at the Torque number for the LPE 1900 package. its making good hp, 510rwhp i believe (too lazy to click). but the Tq is horrible for that set up, mid 400s (maybe). most S/C just on here with headers are running close to or over 500 lbs ft at the wheel.

the other thing you will run into with LPE is with there warranty, you have to get the work do by them. if you do anything else to the car after they have worked on. you warranty through them is gone.

not trying be a debbie downer, but i have a huge problem with LPE the more i talk to them and talked to my local shops.

Last edited by ColeGraham; 02-15-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kjr6306
Buy the rebuilt MP112 listed on the other site for 3500 and have your local shop install it. Take the extra cash and use it for other mods. There is no way the 119 is that kind of extra cash. By the time you spend 11k on the LPE mods you could have bought a used V2 for a couple grand more.
Bought said V1 with 3800 miles (AKA: BRAND NEW) for 26- Even if I go with Lingenfleter for 11Gs, I'm still in a brand new ride pushing 500 RWHP for WAY under 40 Gs. Still plenty of room left to buy other necessities, like axle hop fixes, UUC shifter, et cetera. Already got the house (nuthin left to fix, all been done over last 10 years) another daily driver (07 Camry with 4 thou in audio equipment, my other "passion") and a '99 Ducati ST-4 minto with 11,000 miles. I see the occasional V2 in the mid to high 40's, but usually with some miles. Anything I would consider has consistently been over 50 K. So, I think I'm right were I need to be with this "pile of ****" CTS-V Gen I. Turned 57 yesterday, put one kid through 6 years of private schools and have a 14 year old who deserves the same treatment. I say: keep the toys reasonable, spread the $$ around evenly and don't go too crazy on any one thing-that way I've been able to keep adding to the list. Actually had to build a brand new garage last year to hold everything! More theories on cars, bikes, stereo systems, and life are availible...
Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bought said V1 with 3800 miles (AKA: BRAND NEW) for 26- Even if I go with Lingenfleter for 11Gs, I'm still in a brand new ride pushing 500 RWHP for WAY under 40 Gs. Still plenty of room left to buy other necessities, like axle hop fixes, UUC shifter, et cetera. Already got the house (nuthin left to fix, all been done over last 10 years) another daily driver (07 Camry with 4 thou in audio equipment, my other "passion") and a '99 Ducati ST-4 minto with 11,000 miles. I see the occasional V2 in the mid to high 40's, but usually with some miles. Anything I would consider has consistently been over 50 K. So, I think I'm right were I need to be with this "pile of ****" CTS-V Gen I. Turned 57 yesterday, put one kid through 6 years of private schools and have a 14 year old who deserves the same treatment. I say: keep the toys reasonable, spread the $$ around evenly and don't go too crazy on any one thing-that way I've been able to keep adding to the list. Actually had to build a brand new garage last year to hold everything! More theories on cars, bikes, stereo systems, and life are availible...
Have you considered the rear-end issues on a longterm scale (with high-hp)?

Your smile will be just as equal in the V1 or V2 but your pocket long-term will like the V2...I promise...

-Adam
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

huh?

$26,000+$11,000=$37,000...............way under 40gs?????? for a car that cant even put that power to the ground? And youll be able to resell 6 months from now for 22k?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

^ are you always like this? Your car makes 500 to the ground...I have plenty of friends with 1000+ to the wheels and they drive on the street all the time. Who cares if someone wants to make big power in their street car and spend lots of money doing so?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

He hasn't been happy since he cut his mullet off.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
^ are you always like this? Your car makes 500 to the ground...I have plenty of friends with 1000+ to the wheels and they drive on the street all the time. Who cares if someone wants to make big power in their street car and spend lots of money doing so?
I just like to be truthful to people, when you make big power in a 4000lb cadillac with a shitty IRS, its not useable. 90% of the people in this section are still in denial to the fact that our cars are useless with 600hp. Someone has to put people in perspective, and other people just like to own dynoqueens. If resale didnt suck c**k on our cars itd be for sale right now.

You can continue to think that the V1 is an insanely cool platform to make big power. But im not gonna pussyfoot around the fact that it sucks that our cars are not versatile at all. Now go ahead and defend the fact that they are. Someone on here has to be the bearer of bad news and tell people straight up how it is.

And people are so caught up in dyno numbers for example.....500rwhp V1 vs 500RWHP V2........whose gonna win.....numbers dont mean ****.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

There are ways to get the power to the ground if your willing to spend the money. It's also how you drive your 600hp not everybody wants a drag car.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tommycompton
There are ways to get the power to the ground if your willing to spend the money. It's also how you drive your 600hp not everybody wants a drag car.
I agree 110%, but no where in this thread has the OP mentioned a 7k dollar built rear, and in all of the high HP threads I have not seen anyone mention a built rear in the works after dropping 10k on a power adder. All these street cars with 600hp I guarantee cant hook that power in 1st or second.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

A built rear first is the correct way, but who want's to spend blower money on a built rear first? I'd do mine after mine after it blows.
10K on a blower is insane, but some people need the "name reassurance" or have money to throw around.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I agree 110%, but no where in this thread has the OP mentioned a 7k dollar built rear, and in all of the high HP threads I have not seen anyone mention a built rear in the works after dropping 10k on a power adder. All these street cars with 600hp I guarantee cant hook that power in 1st or second.
I have a friend that rode 1000hp on the crappy 10bolt for a long time in his fbody and had plenty of fun on the street. Meanwhile, v6 guys were blowing up their rears at the track. You dont have to bullet proof the whole car if you want to make power and enjoy it. The latest rear from GM and axles can be more insurance if it is a street car.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I agree 110%, but no where in this thread has the OP mentioned a 7k dollar built rear
I didn't see the OP ask if his car was a shitbox that he should sell ASAP, either. He sounds pretty sold on supercharging his V1, and just wants feedbacks on the options.

It's been pointed out several times a used V2 might be only marginally more expensive, and he's even replied to that that he's looked into it and isn't interested.

If you reach a point where you are tired of your car, sell it. It's not worth being all angry about it, regardless of where values are. Pissing all over other people who like the car doesn't help, either.

To the OP, it sounds like you've found a few options besides Lingenfelter that can hook you up with the same product, but for less money.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i looked into doing a LPE TVS1900 package as well. After talking with serval local shops close to my area (DFW), i was told the $11,000 that package is advertised as costing is mainly more the name. My shop here is DFW said they can do the exact samething (minus the Lingenfelter FRCs) for around $8,000 to $8,500. And then told me if I really wanted the FRCs, they would get me some metal covers. If you shop around, you will find that with LPE, you are paying for the name. Just like most tuning companies that are out there, they will bloat there prices because of the letters that comes with with the build. HPE and D3 are the the same way. IMO, the only difference between D3 and HPE/LPE is that D3 is a Cadillac Speciality shope. Where as HPE/LPE are engine platform shops.

And you didnt buy something that has (or near) the same things as a V2. V2 was a much more planned platform and has a lot better interior. The fastest V1s i have ever heard about are running in the mid to low 11s with built rears and 800+ hp at the wheels. With the V2, do an pulley, intake, tune, and DRs and you will have a low 11 high 10 car that gives the V1 400 pounds of weight. If you have ever sat in or been near a V2, it make almost every V1 look like a pile a dog **** (IMO).

The more I look at the V1, the more I have realized that it will never be able to do what I wanted it to do. Which is why I will be ditching the V1 in the future and picking myself up something that is really fast. Like a C6Z06...

Edit: But its your money...if it makes you happy, send it any way you please.
No, got the 06 V with 3800 mi (BRAND NEW CAR!) for 26K so even if I did the LPE job for 11 thou I'd still be way under 40 thou. I've not seen a Gen II V that I would even sit in for under 50 grand, so that logic not making sense to me at this point. I'm a sucker for old one owner stuff with really low miles. I was just drooling over an 05 CTS-V popped up on Ebay this morning right in my back yard in MA. One owner-18,000 miles! Had to move along, sayin "wait a minute-I just bought one of these a few months ago!" It's amazing how cars depreciate in the US of A market. I scanned back in the other CTS-V forum through the classifieds last night. 2 years ago people were getting 35K for 2005's, then the Gen II showed up and the bottom dropped out. When is the next full redesign? 2014, I think? That would be the time to jump on an 09-11 model. But you are dead right-new ones much easier and cheaper to modify for performance.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me ask this question:

Have you driven a V1 and V2?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

I've driven both and the new one is definitely badass. I'll be the first to admit I should have waited for it, but I still like my car just as much.

Quick Reply: Advice on Lingenfelter conversion please