Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hidden Roof Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Roof Leak

I have a leak somewhere in the roof and I cannot find it. I noticed water rings around the airbag emblems on the driver side A pillar and both rear C pillars. I pulled the pillars down and took the headliner out and sat in the car while my wife sprayed it with water. I could not find leak. The car does have a sunroof and all four of the drains were connected and not leaking. I know we spent 20 mins looking for leaks and could not find single one. I was hoping that someone might have some insight on something I might be missing or a know place to look for leaks.

Thanks
Jon
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All i have heard is the drain lines clog for the sunroof and thats where the water backs up to. Most of the time it only occurs during very hard rains.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

You should have your wife spraying (or rig up a ladder and hose) for about 20 minutes. Usually if you don't see it right away its due to the sunroof tray and water management troughs overfilling because either the sunroof drains are pinched or clogged partially.

Give her a good soak while you listen to the radio.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clogged drain hoses are pretty common in any sunroof car. You can either crawl under and clean out the end of the drain lines or you can blow some compressed air into each of the lines and it should clear them out. If you do the compressed air deal make sure you cover the sunroof opening with some plastic so you don't get crap on your interior.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help I'll have to try cleaning out the drains.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Teching In

yeah its for sure the drains.. happened with my car last year... get some compressed air and blow them out.. the sunroof will leak no matter what, just need it to drain out

there is 1 on each corner of car.. 4 total
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I post some picture in the link.
If you want to pull the rear side panel off.
1st remove the Air Bag tab.
2nd get an 8mm long socket (I think its an 8mm) and remove the bolt in the hole (if you drop the bolt you'll be fine.The is a little cup that will catch the bolt.)
3rd just pull the side panel off.

I still have not fixed mine but you can see the hose when you remove the side rear panel.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ain-water.html

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I got something similar in a touchless car wash. Some uber high preasssure wash and it came in through the sunroof. Headlined got alittle wet. Was NOT happy about this.

Do you think mine would also be this drain? Or just the water jets pushing the sunroof in a little and letting water in?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Teching In

I actually took the headliner out and checked all of the lines, one was clogged. But now that you mentioned it I did take the car through the autobell a couple of times this winter so I wonder if that was the cause of this. I gave up on tryin to find any other leaks and put the headliner back in this past Sat.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

I have a MAJOR leak......The passenger side floorboard is SOAKED every time it rains... Any ideas where it could be coming from??
Old 03-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Its a 7mm headed screw on the rear sail panels. BE VERY CAREFUL, the plastic on those rear sail panels is so fragile. If you dont break it getting out, only hand tighten the screws when going back in.

Passenger floor board? Front? My first guess is the front sunroof tubes coming out of their hole in the firewall to drain.
Did you have a windshield replaced recently? That is another possibility.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I have a MAJOR leak......The passenger side floorboard is SOAKED every time it rains... Any ideas where it could be coming from??
Does the V have drains inside the door? I know my gf's jeep does and they were clogged so the door filled with water and it eventually made its way ont he floorboard.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Does the V have drains inside the door? I know my gf's jeep does and they were clogged so the door filled with water and it eventually made its way ont he floorboard.
Not sure.....I've noticed it once or twice...but just a little...got a lil funky smell after a downpour....I usually keep it garaged at home, especially when it rains, but this time I was out on a road trip and Holiday Inn doesn't have a garage...Got about 3" of rain in an hr...got in the next day and literally had standing water in the floor....Only on the passenger side.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
They do have drains in the floor but I have never seen much of an issue there.

If you go through a high pressure car wash you can get water coming past the seals but also over power the draining capabilities of the sunroof drains as well basically putting more water in than can flow out.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I think the high powered one just overpowered my seals. Was Not happy abotu it. But **** happens. Plus all the more reason for me to hand wash her the way I should be. But in that case it was just about salt removal

Quick Reply: Hidden Roof Leak