Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

how to wire subs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to wire subs

im buying 2 twelve inch subs with an amp , how do i wire this thing! i hate wires and wiring but i am capable, what im most concerned about is how to get the signal from the stock system and make it sound right. i dont want the bass hitting late and what not.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no idea. All I remember is that there is a kit (around $75 I think) that allows that amp to tap into the factory bose system.

It took Car Toys like an hour to do the install.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're looking for something like this: http://cca.madvettemotorsports.com/s...ct_detail&p=83

I'm not sure if that one in particular will work with the V, but I'd probably call them to check.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
You're looking for something like this: http://cca.madvettemotorsports.com/s...ct_detail&p=83

I'm not sure if that one in particular will work with the V, but I'd probably call them to check.
Yep, it was something like that. It works great.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only $35 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-AOEMGM24-I.../dp/B0002J21XS
Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike when you do this take pics cause i've tried to figure out how to do this and still dont know where to tap into the REM pwr in the back seat or does the LOC thing above do it for you..?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got an email from the guys who make it - said that it won't work on the CTS-V's.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You really shouldn't need something like that. Since the subwoofer in the CTS is already crossed over and has higher frequencies eliminated, you would be fine with a simple high-to-low level converter hidden, and run RCA jacks right out of that, or even use a monoblock amplifier with high level inputs already built into it.

Parts Express High To Low in-line adapter

Same thing but with male ends

I plan on ordering a few of those 2nd one, Y'ing them off, and putting both leads into a monoblock. and mounting the amp directly under where the factory woofer was. That way, I won't have a visible hole, and the amp will get nice cooling on both side.

Those would work especially well if you had a remote subwoofer level controller since the factory radio is very lacking in audio tuning.

those are the amps I use. It has the high level inputs build in but I'm still going to go low. The Y adapters would be used to fill the front and rear inputs for extra volume without distortion from the factory highs, if you're not replacing them.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DOnt bother doing subs until you wanna ditch the factory nav unit. Once you turn the volume up pretty high the factory Bose amp kicks the bass down so its not even noticeable. I used a line in coverter to my alpine amp with a 10 inch type R and it sounds ok, but no where near what it would sound like if you had an aftermarket head unit.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
DOnt bother doing subs until you wanna ditch the factory nav unit. Once you turn the volume up pretty high the factory Bose amp kicks the bass down so its not even noticeable. I used a line in coverter to my alpine amp with a 10 inch type R and it sounds ok, but no where near what it would sound like if you had an aftermarket head unit.
i want to keep everything as original as possible im not looking for crazy bass just alil thump
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RADEoN

those are the amps I use. It has the high level inputs build in but I'm still going to go low. The Y adapters would be used to fill the front and rear inputs for extra volume without distortion from the factory highs, if you're not replacing them.
That is literally the exact same amp I have. It powers my 12" sub perfectly. Adding a sub really wakes up the system.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's one of the best monoblocks you can buy. did you use the high level inputs?

i have two W15GTi's in my aurora powered by 2 BP1200.1's.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

You will need a line out converter that will be installed in the wiring behind the b-pillar. That will allow you to run RCA's.

As someone else said, bass will sound better with an aftermarket head unit but considering no other unit would look uniform in the dash, i kept my stock navi unit. Im running a single boston acoustic G5 12" sub on a JL 500.1. I wired a bass **** to it an mounted it in my ash tray so its hidden and easily adjustable. I also ran the wire for my ipod kit through there as well so it looks clean and out of the way. My system sounds great for just one 12 on the stock head unit. Yeah... it may be a little louder with a nice aftermarket deck but if you just want a little bump in your trunk... the stock unit is fine.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

NS, is that where the amp cuts off at?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RADEoN
NS, is that where the amp cuts off at?
What do you mean? Im a little confused. Sorry... lol
Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

when you said you cut it off at the B pillar and put a line-out converter in, I was just curious as to why you didn't either do it at the amplifier in the trunk, or just take the wire directly out of the stock woofer and put a line out converter in that way.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

My buddy is actually the one that wired it up for me. He worked at a car audio shop for a few years before he opened his own. He did my install for free and i just brought him a case of beer. lol He said that would be the best place to install it but im sure it can go in other ways. Its just a module thats spliced into the factory wiring to allow RCA outputs to the amp. Im sure it could be installed anywhere from the front to the rear of the car. Thats just where he chose to mount it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

i used the hi-lo converter and i think it sounds like complete **** if you ask me lol. you cant even begin to compare it to the sound of a aftermarket deck, just my opinion, hate to be a negative nancy hahaha
Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe we should start looking towards setups which allow us to run aftermarket HU.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry I don't document well but this is what I did to my V. It is not finished I just ran out of time (kids, work, etc..) I will finish it up by the end of the month... hopefully. The Alpine HU is feeding into the factory HU via the XM input mod. You just have to set your aftermarket HU to a certain volume number and keep it there. Its sort of like a gain on an amp. lol Once you have that set then you just use the factory volume control.

Here is a pic but this link ( http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ICE%20Install/ )will have all my updates in it.

More pics will be added soon. I am still using the bose amp and factory radio **** to control all audio functions. Nav works too. You don't need a line out converter to run a sub. Get the audio signal before it goes into the Bose amp and you will have a clean signal without the distortion limiter. Sub will be goin in this weekend...

Anybody want to buy some JL Audio slash amps? I moved up to the HD ones.

JL Audio 500/1 = $230 shipped
JL Audio 300/4 = $210 shipped
JL Audio 500/5 = $290 shipped

OP sorry for the thread jack.

V owners I will post the color codes of the wires so you can hook up an aftermarket sub. True a aftermarket HU directly feeding an amp is best but if you want to retain all your factory stuff my route is the way to go. I've had a lot of systems in my day and was totally against Bose but for the mids and highs they are great but lows not so much.

Quick Reply: how to wire subs