Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS6 Whipple neaaaarly done...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Never ends.
I removed mine and all was well until my harmonic balancer decided to seperate, and belt shards decided to shred my maf sensor wire.
I ordered Hp tuners so when I get back from my trip Peter can walk me through tuning. I have high hopes for the meth kit and from what I have read it should work.
I thik I'm also going to get the solid Katech belt tensioner for the whipple, don't really trust the stock tensioner.
You need a spring-loaded tensioner for the supercharger. A solid tensioner will not work.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
You need a spring-loaded tensioner for the supercharger. A solid tensioner will not work.
So build me one

jk
I know you guys don't recommend them for supercharger use but plenty of guys are. I'd rather wear a belt than have it jump off on me, any recommendations on a good tensioner?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

What pump gas are you using? Do you know what temp your IATs are at?
Mine are anywher between 140-160* F at the dyno they even got up to 170.5. that's with the intercooler.
I understand the LS6 has a little less compression ratio 10.5:1 as opposed to my Ls2 with 10.9:1.
But I can't get any timing out of it they, they set it to 0* any more and I would get detonation.
I'm not sure if they zerod out any tables on the Iat to prevent the computer from pulling timing.
but i can't get into boost at all without throwing random misfire codes, I'm not sure if that because of the tune or what.
I may have to take the blower off for now because I don't have the funds or the time to keep going for now.
Peter at DRE said I could buy a HP tuner software and he could walk me through it by sending him files.
those iat's arent that high to have to retard the timing to 0*. something else is going on. probably fueling problem or a vacuum leak causing the detonation. did they log the A/F ratio? if so what was it ?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So build me one

jk
I know you guys don't recommend them for supercharger use but plenty of guys are. I'd rather wear a belt than have it jump off on me, any recommendations on a good tensioner?
You'll probably just immediately stretch the belt out and fling it off anyways. If the tensioner that comes with the supercharger doesn't work I recommend notifying the manufacturer.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Detonation???? . . . hmmmm,
I'm beginning to wonder if there is a valve timing problem which could affect cylinder pressure.
What are the cam specs?
Was it degreed prior to installation?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stepside
Detonation???? . . . hmmmm,
I'm beginning to wonder if there is a valve timing problem which could affect cylinder pressure.
What are the cam specs?
Was it degreed prior to installation?
could be a spark timing issue as well. setting the ignition point to 3* btdc definitely isn't helping.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

dude ive been reading this and i feel bad for u guys. has anyone tried a cam to lower ur DCR. im assuming that u guys are running a blower cam. If im thinking right a blower cam will bring ur DCR way up. with a s/c.

if u had a cam made maybe a way to keep ur cylinder pressure down. itd make the ex valve stay way open.

and my other ? is when tuning is any one checking the EGts? maybe some how ur blowing the spark out throwing ur P0300.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

the Vette guys (that had these exact blowers first) had a ton of issues as well. It looks like the lower intake, in an attempt to keep the blower under the stock C5/C6 hood is a VERY poor design. Id hate to see these guys throw parts at the cars to fix something that they cant.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

The poblem was on a forged 408, due to the lower intake being to small to get the numbers he was after. On a stock block I figure the lower intake should still work.
The is a bigger intercooler/lower intake available that was my plans when I decided to stroke it out.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

im saying theres got to be a way to make the set up work. the lower intake has a lot to do with the over all of the s/c but is that whats making kr. i know guys with 3800 that run 220+ intake air temps and still get 20*s timming out of it.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89
i know guys with 3800 that run 220+ intake air temps and still get 20*s timming out of it.
Good night, 220 deg... Really? What's the compression ratio on a 3800?

Before we started pulling it back apart due to a coolant leak, we did some tuning and saw ~150 deg temps (on a 100 deg day) at about 5500 RPM's. I think meth will cure the temps. I'm just ready to be done!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates whipples????
Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89
im saying theres got to be a way to make the set up work. the lower intake has a lot to do with the over all of the s/c but is that whats making kr. i know guys with 3800 that run 220+ intake air temps and still get 20*s timming out of it.
LOL, yea ok...
the series III L32 engine runs 8.5:1 compression. (might have something to do with it...)

There is no way in hell your going to get 20° timing with huge IATs like that in an LS with stock compression. (10.5 or 10.9 or 10.1 even)

Rough guess...To run 15 timing, your IATS need to be below 110°F if your compression is stock.

Hopefully the meth works for you guys...

Last edited by vmapper; 06-28-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

I'm still waiting on my meth kit (Canada post was on strike) should be there when I get back from my trip.
There was no way this thing was set up to run on 91 octane without meth. It would have been nice to know this from the start.
When i get back I have to hook up my wide band and boost guage. I have HP tuners, so hopefully when I send DRE my data he can get my through the tune.
If the meth can get me atleast 50* cooler into boost that should put me on target.
It's pretty shiddy to have to rely on meth, considering maggie guys use it just for added safety.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

I'm still waiting on my meth kit (Canada post was on strike) should be there when I get back from my trip.
There was no way this thing was set up to run on 91 octane without meth. It would have been nice to know this from the start.
When i get back I have to hook up my wide band and boost guage. I have HP tuners, so hopefully when I send DRE my data he can get my through the tune.
If the meth can get me atleast 50* cooler into boost that should put me on target.
It's pretty shiddy to have to rely on meth, considering maggie guys use it just for added safety.
if your having such issues do you think it would be worth it to change the compression on the heads? isnt your blower off of the car right now ? just a thought but imo that meth kit it gunna do wonders only thing is your gunna have to really make sure its always topped off and what not youll be surprised how fast your can chew threw a tank of meth
Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
if your having such issues do you think it would be worth it to change the compression on the heads? isnt your blower off of the car right now ? just a thought but imo that meth kit it gunna do wonders only thing is your gunna have to really make sure its always topped off and what not youll be surprised how fast your can chew threw a tank of meth
Yeah lower compression heads would rectify much of it, but not in my funds at the moment.
I ordered a 3.5gal tank so hopefully the meth should last a couple weeks before refilling.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah lower compression heads would rectify much of it, but not in my funds at the moment.
I ordered a 3.5gal tank so hopefully the meth should last a couple weeks before refilling.
i hear ya, my funds for modding arent looking so promising right now either, i need coilovers but its such a hard decision partying is getting the best of me lol i hope that meth kit does the trick i really want to see this thing come to life!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Launching!

had meth on my maggie v daily driver, used maybe a gallon a month, so unless you have a huge brain fart you should be ok. i also have a low level indicator if i ever open the glovebox to look at it, but you shouldn't have an issue with running out, it's not constantly running, it's progressive with the throttle at least that's how my alky control setup is
Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Launching!

if your getting PO300 code when you hit boost, id say you may need to dial in your VE table more, might i ask, do you know how accurate your AFR is? how close is it to your stoich reading? also like some of the other guys were saying your compression is a tad high for boost, so timing is going to be a very delicate issue. also how much boost are you running?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
if your getting PO300 code when you hit boost, id say you may need to dial in your VE table more, might i ask, do you know how accurate your AFR is? how close is it to your stoich reading? also like some of the other guys were saying your compression is a tad high for boost, so timing is going to be a very delicate issue. also how much boost are you running?
what does a misfire have to do with a dialed in VE table? or lack of...

Last edited by vmapper; 07-04-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: LS6 Whipple neaaaarly done...