Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Completely new stereo is in. No issues. What's the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
^^^is there a way to convert the signals to the input? That would be awesome if there was and surely somebody with some electronics background could make, by studying the electrical schematics/single lines, etc...Problem for me is I don't have any of that information and need to breakdown and by a comprehensive service manual and documentation. The other difficult part is sourcing the oem connectors sometimes, but guess you can get them from conversion kits, etc..
You have to have SOMETHING that is taking the information and making it graphical, and then sends it out to the monitor. It won't take raw data and give it to you in graph form.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
My next mod to the V is going to be ditching the worlds shittiest nav system thats for sure.
Absolutely. I never, not one time, successfully entered in a destination in mine before I said "screw it" and found it on my iPhone. The TomTom system in this one is wonderful. The nav is very easy and natural to use. The main menu of the unit itself has some stupid issues, but nothing at all as bad as the OEM one.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks bad? Your opinion... You bought a Cadillac. What did u expect? Of course we can live without all those niceties but why?

Well I like the two screens and looks "cool" at night. Butcher shop? It's all good. Like I said it's your opinion and thats what makes people different and their cars different.

My opinion... Yours looks weird. But that's just my opinion.

Take care

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
@anz2dmax - Right but... seriously? All this trouble for getting reminders that you need to change your oil (and all other absolutely wonderful things that I have no idea how we previously made it without...) And in the end, it looks bad. Sorry. There's no justification for for having two screens. It's silly. And the resolution on one has to be so different than that of the other.

Again, my point is being made here. All these butcher shop options are, in my humble opinion (but I AM the OP) redneck and wouldn't be found en masse in a higher end car community. I'd get it if it were one or two people, or if the repercussions were horrible, but I'm not at all seeing that they are.

JNR - Mine has an input, yes. Most do. Have it show you whatever you want.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
Looks bad? Your opinion... You bought a Cadillac. What did u expect? Of course we can live without all those niceties but why?

Well I like the two screens and looks "cool" at night. Butcher shop? It's all good. Like I said it's your opinion and thats what makes people different and their cars different.

My opinion... Yours looks weird. But that's just my opinion.

Take care
Right I get that. I also nearly didn't make my post about yours because your sig has USAF in it and I have the utmost respect.

With that said, keep in mind this - My entire thread is about the fact that you and many others have gone through a lot of pain, pain that to me looks bad and obviously done on a Saturday and with some beers, BECAUSE of a fear to lose what you refer to as "all those niceties".

I started this thread because so many people get creative like you did, so many people warned me of going the obvious route, all because of the fear of an umbrella statement such as you made ("All these niceties...", in this case).

My point is to shine a light on what really is lost. It's not a big deal. I think that it should be very spelled out.

You have to roll down the window and guess at how hot it is outside.
You'll have to remember to change your oil.
You'll not have all these fancy, circa 2004 personalization settings.

So, to come on a thread that tells what truly is under the umbrella of WHAT IS TRULY LOST when you do the otherwise sensible thing and post with your solution to a problem that you have yet to actually name and looks in no way complete, it's silly. Sorry. It's a silly thing to do and way off topic, other than that it's one more person who hacked up his car but might not know why. My point is WHY, not that it's the best stereo install solution. Does no one get that? Really?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I get why you posted in first place and thanks for sharing. I'm not here to get into a who has a bigger dick competition that's why I came and stayed at this site instead of the "others"

Don't let the USAF sig stop you from speaking your mind. That's why I serve is so you can have that freedom.

Once I'm finished I will show the end product. I do custom installs all the time. I do my own work and don't pay anyone to do it. It was done in a couple of hours and I had to put it back together before I finished.

No hard feelings! Take care and once again it's all opinions on these type of sites. I guess I should take it with a grain of salt too. Cheers!!

I really didnt mind the OEM unit. I just wanted to be able to control DVD functions while in motion. It wasn't b/c of fear of losing the niceties, I just wanted to keep them.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

OP, I love the clean look but I just came across a situation this weekend which makes me never want to get rid of the stock unit. My alternator died on Saturday. When the alternator isnt charging it sets the P1637 code. That code does not set the check engine light, but the nav screen lights up saying "service engine soon" plus the only way to check voltage is through the original unit. I guess the only option would be to mount a couple extra gauges.

EDIT: I know with HP Tuners I can let error codes happen but not show on the SES (ie running speed density)...I wonder if we could turn on all the codes the factory may have turned off of the classic SES light. It might be worth looking into so you can see all the issues that the nav screen used to cover.

Last edited by JJSimon904; 06-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

JJ - Good idea, bad problem. Sorry. BUT, that happens like, once every 75k miles, right? AAA!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look, although I do agree it would "look" better flush. I don't really care about all the extras either so it would be more important to me to have the DVD controls and a working NAV program.

So what I am wondering is if you set all of your personalization setting the way you wanted them then took the stocker out, would they just stay the way you left them or would they default?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Kelly:

Good question. I really don't know. I have owned an absolute BUTTLOAD of cars (for a 33 year old TODAY! - Audi S4, Audi A6, Audi Q7, another Audi S4, Audi A3, Benz C230, Porsche 911S, GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT, Range Rover, LR3, Discovery, Touareg V8, Passat 4Motion, 14 Nissans, GTI, Navigator, Sequoia Limited, etc) and have yet to ever, even one time, set any custom settings. Don't know why. I just never think of it. I guess I'm glad I never got in the habit!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

So what you're saying is, it won't be long before the next owner of your V discovers these forums and more space and time is wasted trying to explain why some basic amenities of the car are gone forever. I've kept my DIC cuz of future timelessness and value of our cars. Something that given your ownership history, you probably won't have to worry about. Were not trying to dissuade you Blackdout from doing what you want to YOUR car, but it is a forum so expect opinions on the pros AND cons of customization. People on these forums give great advice overall, I wouldn't be so quick to judge that friendly help. No offense man.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

To me the upgraded system outweighs the loss of functionality and the Atari 2600 display. Your obviously a pioneer here in some way...Nice job!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4doorvetteLV
So what you're saying is, it won't be long before the next owner of your V discovers these forums and more space and time is wasted trying to explain why some basic amenities of the car are gone forever. I've kept my DIC cuz of future timelessness and value of our cars. Something that given your ownership history, you probably won't have to worry about. Were not trying to dissuade you Blackdout from doing what you want to YOUR car, but it is a forum so expect opinions on the pros AND cons of customization. People on these forums give great advice overall, I wouldn't be so quick to judge that friendly help. No offense man.
Didn't mean to come across as an ***. Essentially, there are many threads that talk about all this stuff that SHOULD LIKELY happen when someone does what I did. I didn't see one instance where someone actually DID IT and reported the results. That's my point. After reading everything I could, and looking at peoples' solutions, I thought that the weight put on those amenities was very exaggerated when the cost is accepting an archaic nav system and no way to get really good sound, use Bluetooth, have iPod integration, watch movies, etc. I understand what forums are all about. I wanted this thread, which I created, to not be like all the rest, where the focus is heavily on what you lose instead of what you gain. As I understand it, it's my right as OP to try to keep the thread on point. I'm not taking offense at all. I do realize that I've been derogatory, but I kinda mean it tongue-in-cheek (Like the "gotta roll down your window to find out the temperature" comment).

It's all good, but the point of this thread is to state, without speculation, what REALLY happens, and my opinion that the pros FAR outweigh the cons.

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
To me the upgraded system outweighs the loss of functionality and the Atari 2600 display. Your obviously a pioneer here in some way...Nice job!
That's my point, and thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Oh, by the way, the little screen in the dash DOES show me when the coolant gets hot. It just did it.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, there would need to be an interface "board" in between the car's harness and radio's input (tried to edit my post last night, but th site or my cpu were having issues)...

Do any of the other Cadillac's use a DIC System and/or those nav systems any better? Seems like that may be something worth looking into as well, or perhaps it already has...Not talking the V2 unit, but what is offered in STS, Escalade, XLR, etc.?

I know it's still GM crapola electronics, but aren't some of them at least touch screen and whatnot? Problem is you'd need to get that nav's DVD, also...

I don't use my nav but for novelty purposes or maybe 1% of the time it may come in handy, so it's something I do not need for the most part, but if it's there, I'd like for it to function somewhat intuitively and allow moving around, etc. while driving (without going through menus)...as crude as it sounds, chrysler (jeep) used a joystick on their GC nav system and it was actually kind of neat to be able to scroll along from where you're at...I don't care about gimmicky '3d view', but do they make a nav system that looks more like google maps?

It is one of those things that would be neat to have, but honestly, this car was not built for gimmicky gadgets (see german-jap cars), but has a purpose: to have top level performance, good comfort, high reliabilty in a sleek, unique package.

So, give me a solid sounding, full spectrum radio, satellite radio, CD and maybe nav system that has a couple dials and looks decent and that's all I need...
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
So, give me a solid sounding, full spectrum radio, satellite radio, CD and maybe nav system that has a couple dials and looks decent and that's all I need...

And this Chair... and this Paddle Ball... and this phone... That's all I need!

I'm as curious as you as to whether or not we can uprade to another "stocker" from a newer CTS or something similar for a few added features but no loss of what we already have...

Changing out radios on these newer cars is such a pain in the ***...

I like the OPs install, but as others have said, it seems kind of out of place.

Maybe we can just do a touch-screen car-puter in place of it, and have some kind of input through the computer that can run car diagnostics... *shrug*

Car-puters have been perfected by now...

-meaty
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm wanting a carputer & seeing if maybe I can get a 10" touchscreen in there & stash the base CTS DIC some place else. I can build a computer no problem. Getting one that will have decent performace on the 12vDC (+inverter) will be interesting.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

That would be totally sweet!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LAYGO
I'm wanting a carputer & seeing if maybe I can get a 10" touchscreen in there & stash the base CTS DIC some place else. I can build a computer no problem. Getting one that will have decent performace on the 12vDC (+inverter) will be interesting.
with an invertor, you should not have any problems....especially, a carputer...you can get up to a 500 watt invertor, and that size should have no problems running a carputer.....
Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ITSAV
with an invertor, you should not have any problems....especially, a carputer...you can get up to a 500 watt invertor, and that size should have no problems running a carputer.....
Yeah, I've been reading up a bunch on MP3Car about different power supply options.

I have so many mod ideas I want to do! I can't wait to replace the V nav though.

Now, I just found this for those iPhone lovers (not me):
http://www.customgadz.com/store/
or
http://store.mp3car.com/Mimics_Dash_...mimicsdash.htm

Allows a touch screen to have complete control over your iPhone. I wish they had something like this for Android because I'd love to use my Evo with something like that. Would provide some other options to the carputer.

My ultimate goal for the carputer + my Evo would be:
- total control of anything I could do on my laptop, I could on my carputer
- tether wifi/bluetooth to my phone that would allow my phone to provide internet to the carputer'
- ???
- profit!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for thread jacking, but daaaaamn, I think I might be changing directions. It seems like a lot of CarPC guys are simply switching to android tablets instead. I'm down with that, I love my Android based Evo. Also, they the Tasker app to help automate things when in the vehicle. I'm even MORE down with that because Tasker is probably my favorite app & most pimped by me!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/andr...t-rooting.html
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I want some software guy to find a way to reprogram our units to work better.... at least get rid of some of the annoyances, no address entry while moving, outdated screens, hitting agree every time nav is used... shouldn't be hard if somebody was good at coding... and dedicated to an old navigation system

Quick Reply: Completely new stereo is in. No issues. What's the big deal?