Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Completely new stereo is in. No issues. What's the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuzzy, I've looked in to this extensively (I'm a software engineer) and it just isn't worth it. I never even finished my proof of concept so I'm still not sure it can be done. The problem is that the software used to develop it is ancient and hard to locate. More so, you would need to have their original workspace files to compile/modify things easily. What we have on the firmware update disc is a compiled version of the firmware with some sort of boot loader/rom flasher. Without their original workspace files and the development ide software, I wouldn't be able to modify much. About the only thing I could do is use a hex editor to change text and maybe get lucky finding a way to disable nag screen for nav function (doubtful). Even then, I'd have to trick the loader in to seeing a newer version so that it would continue with the firmware flash after inserting the disc in to the NAV. I started to play around with this but got bored quickly and decided it wasn't worth it. I think I still have all the files somewhere if I ever decide to try it again.

Some more details in case anyone is interested:
The firmware in our NAV unit is developed by a company called WindRiver. I think Intel owns them now. They use a proprietary 'VXWorks' compiler. VXWorks is a real time operating system that WindRiver developed. They developed the firmware using a tool called 'tornado' (very old) or 'workbench' ide. The workbench ide is built on top of eclipse (I think as a plugin) and I'm certain I could use that but would still need their entire original workspace and all the source files. It's a lost cause and frankly won't happen.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pharoh
True... but you also lost your trip computer/outside temp reading. I don't care about the MPG so much as the milage counters.

And for GOD SAKES, how will I know when its time to change my oil?!?!

<that last part was a joke>

But yeah, other than the outside temp and trip milage, I wouldn't care either.
some headunits give you outside temp as well if its that important for water cooler talk.

this is prob the best thread i have seen on here in months. That game boy type navi unit is by far the worst i have ever used in any car. its so bad i dont even trust the directions it tends to spit out when it manages to find a location. That with the colors, lack of modern abilities ( mp3, bt, hard drive storage, etc) makes this one of the worst parts of the car. Mine for some reason has stopped saving any of the settings i put into it.

if features are key then we all should dump the stock navi for something built this decade.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thread jack continues . . .

The scoche dash kit + Asus Transformer tablet looks, at least by the numbers, like it will fit. If the rotary ***** are needed to make the base CTS DIC work, I wonder if you could extend the traces via wire & make a lil interface to handle it? I'd be willing to give up the ashtray to situate the DIC + full 10" goodness.

Dash kit:
3.6 x 12.2 x 17.5 inches

Tablet:
.51 x 6.73 x 10.66 inches

With room to spare . . .
Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 AM
Teching In

Blakt Out

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST.

Now I can finally stop worrying about all these alleged problems and get a nice head unit with nice features and get my Alpine sub/amp out of storage and hooked up in the V!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

If you set things like the horn upon locking and driver seat functions and stuff through the nav unit, do these settings stay the same once its removed?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Well, I never went in to check them anyway. I owned the car for maybe 2 months and decided that I hated the nav so much that it was making me hate my car.

Guys, if there's something that is such a HUGE deal that you don't like, such as horn upon lock, can't you just go to the dealership and have them plug in and change it? It isn't like it's something where your preference changes daily.

I also don't care about the driver's seat settings. No one else drives my car.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
Push TC button on the wheel. Hold it down 3 sec for everything to be off. I guess that's how it'd still work. Put it this way. If I push that button, I can slide all around in figure 8s and smoke my tires off. I can drift through bends in the road. There's no intervention.
The T/C button is in the glove box as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to bring up an old thread...

How is it working for you?

I don't think you ever tested if all the T/C functions still worked..do tire pressure sensors and everything else still work?

I have an opportunity to buy a clarion touch screen for $500 and our stock HU's are still selling for $500 on ebay, so I'd love to do the upgrade.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
^^^is there a way to convert the DIC signals to the input?

That would be awesome if there was and surely somebody with some electronics background could make, by studying the electrical schematics/single lines, etc...Problem for me is I don't have any of that information and need to breakdown and buy a comprehensive service manual and documentation. The other difficult part is sourcing the oem connectors sometimes, but guess you can get them from conversion kits, etc..

The problem is though that you'd have to go in and modify a stereo or start from scratch. It could be done, but who has the time...

I don't want to lose my DIC, but I do want this POS stereo out, lol.
The radio "handshakes" with the class II for the warnings and other stuff.

I was working on gutting a radio for the interface and firmware and trying to get it as a rgb video out.

Delphi will not give out any information on the radio/nav.

At the very least I am looking at replacing the video display with a touch screen and interfacing that to a different system hidden onboard.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nikon
Sorry to bring up an old thread...

How is it working for you?

I don't think you ever tested if all the T/C functions still worked..do tire pressure sensors and everything else still work?

I have an opportunity to buy a clarion touch screen for $500 and our stock HU's are still selling for $500 on ebay, so I'd love to do the upgrade.
i've had this done for a while.....the only thing you lose is what you actually see on the headunit..anything you can see in your cluster will still work...and my t/s still works, not sure about the stability disable...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Launching!

As nice as an upgraded head unit would be it just isnt worth losing the warnings on the head unit i had my service a/c popup and my service stability system popup come up on the headunit recently and without that i would have no idea anything was wrong
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Teching In

If you plug in the normal CTS DIC thing, does that pop up those errors (critical ones like Service A/C! Ice Possible! Washer Fluid Low! That Chick is Too Fat!)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could get your vehicle warning like every other vehicle by checking the codes.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VinATL
If you plug in the normal CTS DIC thing, does that pop up those errors (critical ones like Service A/C! Ice Possible! Washer Fluid Low! That Chick is Too Fat!)
I believe it does. Someone on the Caddy forum installed one in his car and everything worked.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Yeah, if you search over at 1930's Germany, I mean CF, the DIC from the regular CTS will tell you about all the warnings, etc, including Comp Driving mode and TC/SC off, etc.

If I were replacing my head unit, that's how I'd do it... use the stock CTS DIC and let one of those 18 year old whizzkids with fiberglass fab up something nice.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwank
I believe it does. Someone on the Caddy forum installed one in his car and everything worked.
Actually, I believe the guy bought a used V and the nav was replaced with the CTS DIC.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
Fuzzy, I've looked in to this extensively (I'm a software engineer) and it just isn't worth it. I never even finished my proof of concept so I'm still not sure it can be done. The problem is that the software used to develop it is ancient and hard to locate. More so, you would need to have their original workspace files to compile/modify things easily. What we have on the firmware update disc is a compiled version of the firmware with some sort of boot loader/rom flasher. Without their original workspace files and the development ide software, I wouldn't be able to modify much. About the only thing I could do is use a hex editor to change text and maybe get lucky finding a way to disable nag screen for nav function (doubtful). Even then, I'd have to trick the loader in to seeing a newer version so that it would continue with the firmware flash after inserting the disc in to the NAV. I started to play around with this but got bored quickly and decided it wasn't worth it. I think I still have all the files somewhere if I ever decide to try it again.

Some more details in case anyone is interested:
The firmware in our NAV unit is developed by a company called WindRiver. I think Intel owns them now. They use a proprietary 'VXWorks' compiler. VXWorks is a real time operating system that WindRiver developed. They developed the firmware using a tool called 'tornado' (very old) or 'workbench' ide. The workbench ide is built on top of eclipse (I think as a plugin) and I'm certain I could use that but would still need their entire original workspace and all the source files. It's a lost cause and frankly won't happen.

I have a friend who is a "firmware guru".

I had him give a quote on reverse engineering the class II, pulling all the error codes & flags.

The quote for his time was more then the car was worth.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Actually, I believe the guy bought a used V and the nav was replaced with the CTS DIC.
No I think he bought a regular CTS radio and mounted the aftermarket double din in the space where the CD player is. If you program the radio for a CTS-V, all the messages display on the DIC correctly. This is what I want to do to my car with my Apline nav radio.

Here's the thread, its halfway down the second page

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-audio-2.html
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those G8 guys are a bunch of one-uppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtKaJ...ture=endscreen
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Those G8 guys are a bunch of one-uppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtKaJ...ture=endscreen

^thats why I have a diablo trinity in my car does all that diagnostic **** and is much more cost efficient and easier to sell in the future. Does look fancy bro but in the end its a fkn pontiac. Honestly wouldn't buy anything but a cadi or a vette out of american cars period...

Quick Reply: Completely new stereo is in. No issues. What's the big deal?