Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???

Well guys,
Bought a cowl hood for the car and while I'm at it, think I might just get the whole car painted to get rid of the little scratches and chips she's collected over the years. I'm gonna stick with black since it's easier than doing a color change. Thought about going white or thunder grey with it but I think I like black too much to change it and with black, I won't have to pay all the extra $$$ to have the engine bay and jams done. And I'm super **** when it comes to my car so if it's not done right, I don't want it.

Now... Should I stay gloss black or go matte/satin black?? I personally think the matte black looks awesome when done right. Im not talking about flat black which looks like primer. Im referring to the semi-gloss black. I'm just itching to do something different since the whole murdered look is gettin played out now. I just want to be sure it's going to look the way I want afterward cause I'd hate to waste money changing the car and then not be satisfied with it.

What do u guys think?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Go satin black it always looks awesome imo. However make sure u spend the money n get it done right. I took mine to get it painted satin black n found out, after the guy had my car, that he never done any kind of satin paint b4. Needless to say the car isn't exactly the way i wanted it. So now Im either gonna save.the money n get it done right or find someone to do a wrap. Take it from me a satin black paint job is not something to cheap out on.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A wrap is a good idea for trying it out. Much easier maintenance too.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Did u satin black your V? If so, do u have any pics? I've always loved the look but yes... It MUST be done right! I've seen some shitty attempts at it.

My questions are how durable would it be on a daily? With no clear coat, would it fade or blemish easy? If I do it, I'll need it to hold up to the weather. I assume it's not a finish you can wax so how else can it be protected?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

How good would a satin black wrap look though? I wouldn't want any seam lines
Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna look into Electric blue... I wanted to do the brembos but I've always loved that color!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

That's the c5 z06 blue right? If so, I love that color as well! And the 03 cobra sonic blue has always been a favorite of mine as well along with the competition orange!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aesthetics are subjective. I like flat black a lot, but a lot of people hate it. Might affect resale. I saw a pic of a flat black v posted once. Pretty sure i saved the picture on my laptop at home. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I also saw a blue v for sale not too long ago. Maybe vette blue, but I can't say for sure. Definitely not a stock color.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Why not have it professionally paint corrected? You'd be surprised what some guys can do in a few hours/days.

I'm having mine done in August to get rid of all my scratches, swirls, orangepeel and runs from a shitty paintjob by the previous owner.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

I did have it painted satin black, it's just not done right. i googled and researched before i made my decision. PPG makes a low gloss clearcoat for satin finishes so its satin but still protected unlike doing a single stage paint. the guy put 4 coats of this on my car, which is too many, trying to even it out. With the clear coat you can wash and wax just like normal ,however you don't want it buffed or rubbed, because it will start to shine back up. Not supposed to wet sand either. Take it to someone who is familiar with satin and flat finishes, and u should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-2011-07-12-10.19.44.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-2011-07-12-10.19.30.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-2011-07-12-10.19.14.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

My car has 120k on it. It has its share of little dings, scratches and rock chips. I intend to keep the car for a long time since its pretty much setup the way i want it now. I have no problems with it and its almost paid for. I will be keeping it even if i buy something else. Maybe it will be a good candidate for a built motor down the road but for now its my daily.

Flat black can look good when done right but its usually too dull for my liking. I dont want it to look like primer. Thats why satin black looks so much nicer to me. I know i have the option to go back factory gloss black. Thats a given. Just looking at my other options to make the car different from the rest. Satin/matte/flat black black is one option im really liking. The other is to just choose a wild color like that vette blue or something else that completely different. Only issue with that is then in order to make it look right, ill have to pull the motor and interior and everything to have the entire car done right. If i stick with a black based color, it would be much cheaper for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by D Block
I did have it painted satin black, it's just not done right. i googled and researched before i made my decision. PPG makes a low gloss clearcoat for satin finishes so its satin but still protected unlike doing a single stage paint. the guy put 4 coats of this on my car, which is too many, trying to even it out. With the clear coat you can wash and wax just like normal ,however you don't want it buffed or rubbed, because it will start to shine back up. Not supposed to wet sand either. Take it to someone who is familiar with satin and flat finishes, and u should be fine.

I think it looks great in the pics!!! There was a V around here that was flat black but then the guy painted it flat white and it looked like crap. Then he sold it. lol
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

sorry for the crappy pics, i snapped them with my phone after i made my earlier post. It's nasty right now also. It looks a little better cleaned up. lol
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

no V's but you get the idea. DO IT!!
Attached Thumbnails Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-black-civic.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-black-out.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-cult-challenger.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-f250.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I LOVE the finish in that challenger you posted ferny!! Thats exactly the look id want. Slammed on some staggered 19" CCW's in polished finish would look sick!! Id keep my stock black V wheels for awhile until i could afford them but damn that would look sexy. The semi-gloss makes the polished finish pop out!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

found one. not sure if its a V. and a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-flat-black-v.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-viper.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-widebody-beamer.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-wide-body-beamer.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-flat-bentley.jpg  

Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-murdered-m3.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-matte.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

My gf is telling me it looks like crap. lol I guess only some people can appreciate the look. I personally think it looks ****!!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

hell yea man. are u gonna keep the grill glossy? it would look good with glossy lights, grill, and rims.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

women think its an unfinished paint job. people who dont know about cars will say the same thing. even if you did flat white they would say the same thing. i love the matte look
Attached Thumbnails Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-ferari.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-murdered-civic.jpg   Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???-rattle-flat-black.jpg  

Last edited by ferny; 07-12-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

That car looks like paint without clear. Not a huge fan. Taylor, why not go with a really quality black and then get the clear tinted. Buddy of mine had a black Camaro SS painted black with red ghost flames done with a tinted clear. I know I have some really good pics of it but think it is on my home pc.

Quick Reply: Prob gonna paint the V... Gloss black again or matte black???