Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

my opinion on CTS-V vs subaru STi. what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not saying there are any problems driving the v. I was just saying that going from awd to rwd was just different. In the evo in the rain you can litteraly pin it and it was all controlled. As with the v there is more power and rwd, so you feather the pedal. I know how to drive, no matter what weather im in.
But thanks any ways for being a douche.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Teching In

As far as comparing these cars. Its really hard not too. The reason im and saying this, is the price you can get some if these cars for. Personally im and evo fan, but for the price I could find some used 05 evos for, it was damn near the same I found my v for. The v is a totally different car but in my price and milage range I was looking for the v was my top pick
Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

I think some people in this thread are getting lost. I did not mean to compare the cars for a drag race. It it completely pointless to compare them for drag racing, considering neither are built for it. I meant to compare the cars based on performance/fun/comfort/practicality.

Lupers3, Thanks for realizing they are two sportscars in the same price range with the same mileage. (04-06MY). Brand new, it is a totally different range, but as the years get older, pricing is similar. Im sure there is some function for it, but im far too lazy to figure it out.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Originally Posted by hatched91
I think some people in this thread are getting lost. I did not mean to compare the cars for a drag race. It it completely pointless to compare them for drag racing, considering neither are built for it. I meant to compare the cars based on performance/fun/comfort/practicality.

Lupers3, Thanks for realizing they are two sportscars in the same price range with the same mileage. (04-06MY). Brand new, it is a totally different range, but as the years get older, pricing is similar. Im sure there is some function for it, but im far too lazy to figure it out.
To this point I will reiterate my previous point...

CTS-V > EVO > Legacy GT > STI

This is covering everything... Short maybe the obvious snow and bad weather arguments for AWD. The CTS-V is just a better all around car. More fun bigger more style more class... And the 400hp doesnt hurt either. Its the all comprimises car. Speed,style,function,class and fun. It really has all of that and the other cars are all lacking in one or the other.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well...I was trying to buy an STI, waited 5wks for it to come off the boat, test drove it wanted a price including $5k worth of bolt-ons and mods...took 10days to get a price that was full offered side list on everything. When I tried to negotiate, manager handed me back my deposit and said b-bye! Those things really do hold their value in the secondary too. All that said, drive a few exits up the hiway, and bot a Vagon for only $250/mo higher lease, I understand all the parts, knew the dealer, and got treated properly. How the **** can u not negotiate price - with 6 cars in my driveway, every dealer for miles should be wining & dining me in this market! Didnt have to do ANY mods for more power either. Those Subies are pretty cheesy inside compared to the V. I was willing to overlook it based on the price, but SOOOO glad I went for the V.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

These cars are two different animals. I had a 2006 STI for a couple years, and now the V, and like someone else said them both having 4 doors is about the end of the similarities, whoever said that their friend went 120 in the subaru and blew their motor, and the caddy kept going, makes no since at all. I went 190 in my STI, and the caddy cant even get up to that. Doesnt prove anything.....

They each have their own plus and minuses, the STI does feel more planted, but that doesnt mean it is, there are plenty of people out there that have tracked their STI's/CTSV's and some CTS's do better some STI's do better.

In the end, its all about what you like....the caddy has the comfort, and IMO more elite/better because they are more rare, there arent nearly as many V's out there as their is STI's....but after having both, I do prefer my V to the STI. I had modded the STI and put down 580 WHP and 540 torque, and by all means it was a fun car, but I still prefer the V
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Do you have any pic of your old still. I would love to see it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All Subarus sound the exact same................just a random fact i thought id throw out there.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
All Subarus sound the exact same................just a random fact i thought id throw out there.
Throw on equal length headers and they sound like ***.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBIuQH2nhcc
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

This post is for real pointless, not a big fan of subies to begin with. Love my v it is so much nicer of a car than any of them. But to be honest if i had the money to build an EVO i would in a heartbeat. I mean pushing excess of 800hp out of 4cyl is just unreal. not to mention its all wheel drive and relatively small. but will always love my V. just gonna have to save up and build it right.
but i agree with biggie CTS-V > EVO > STI!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
This post is for real pointless, not a big fan of subies to begin with. Love my v it is so much nicer of a car than any of them. But to be honest if i had the money to build an EVO i would in a heartbeat. I mean pushing excess of 800hp out of 4cyl is just unreal. not to mention its all wheel drive and relatively small. but will always love my V. just gonna have to save up and build it right.
4G63 FTW!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:42 AM

AGREED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYLCRuoMe74
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM

And one more reason If i just wanted the fastest econobox rally roccket... Id get a evo...

Stock turbo on a stock bottom end...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BppDkx2ajU

My friends old evo 8 was on a evo 9(stock) turbo with a agressive cam and was 400whp and a low 12 car with basically bolts ons and a CAM. Loved his car.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Awesome evos
Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM

What would you have to do to a STI to get the same results? A LOT MORE MONEY for SURE!!!

I liek a nice subaur. They sound amazing and the AWD is nice. But if its speed yoru after a EVO is the better route.

I got my legacy because it was STI fast and near camry/accord size/comfort/practicality. All while still being AWD and having heated everything.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
I think that's why the comparison isn't quite as odd as most people make it sound. These cars attract by and large the same crowd. If the legacy GT had a high performance version or the Galant vr4 didn't die here after 92 they would probably the next step for dsm/evo/wrx owners or at the very least be in the same mix of potential 'nexts'. Since they aren't, people from that crowd looking for something bigger & newer but still performance oriented and fun w/ more class go to the V, g8, M5, AMG, S series Audi, etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lupers3
Do you have any pic of your old still. I would love to see it.
it looked mostly stock, here is an engine bay pic, with FMIC
Name:  IMG_5382.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  126.5 KB
Name:  IMG_5396.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  95.4 KB
Name:  IMG_5398.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  123.4 KB
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cts v r4
I think that's why the comparison isn't quite as odd as most people make it sound. These cars attract by and large the same crowd. If the legacy GT had a high performance version or the Galant vr4 didn't die here after 92 they would probably the next step for dsm/evo/wrx owners or at the very least be in the same mix of potential 'nexts'. Since they aren't, people from that crowd looking for something bigger & newer but still performance oriented and fun w/ more class go to the V, g8, M5, AMG, S series Audi, etc.
Thanks man, i appreciate the help. I have owned obviously(the V, and STi) as well as a dinan stg2 540i (close to M5), mustang, f-body, etc. I love the audi's, the M5, and several other high end sports cars, but man, german cars are expensive to repair, and i have not had good luck with them.

Also, the LGT does have a performance model, the spec C. However, the 6spd is still nowhere near as strong or complex as the STi's, and the engine is not as strong or powerful. I agree, the LGT is a much more "liveable" car, but not as performance strong as the STi.

ITSAV, are you near STL? I'm pretty close to it. I know those Missouri wine country roads are pretty sweet!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hatched91
ITSAV, are you near STL? I'm pretty close to it. I know those Missouri wine country roads are pretty sweet!
yes I am, Springfield Mo, Ron at was RAW Performance, in STL is who had built my car...shame about what happened with him
Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, the owner of AMS drives a stroked V.

Quick Reply: my opinion on CTS-V vs subaru STi. what's yours?