Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New Guy Just saying HI! / buying experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Just saying HI! / buying experience

HI!

I have been lurking on here for a couple weeks and I am in the process of buying my first new car and it just so happens to be a CTS-V! A little backround about me and my addiction to cars. I have had all kinds of cars since i was 16. my First car was a 1965 mustang 6cyl automatic. in ok shape. then i bought a 88 bronco II. after that i got into the import cars. i had a Mitsubishi Eclipse. it was all riced out i cant even lie. but it was cool to me at the time. I have since learned. after that it was a Turbo H22 Civic coupe. it made 225hp and 225ft lb of tq. it was a fun little car that got 30mpg and ran 110mph in the quarter. after the civic i Bought a 94 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo 6 speed. that one ran a 12.2 @121 it made 450hp. Then I got the Motorcycle bug. I bought a 2002 GSXR 1000 with a built motor that made 195hp to the wheel. i cant lie when i say it scared me so i sold it. then i Bought my current Honda. a 620hp civic Hatchback. its a pearl blue with leather interior. its been 11.5 @115 on pump gas and i have never made a clean pass on race gas but i have trapped 128mph granny shifting second gear. Now that i have finished school and got a big boy job i want to reward myself with a new car and what better one than a Black DIamond CTSV

I am in the process of going to dealerships and talking to salesman and seeing who can get me the best deal on my dream car. So far I have had 2 COMPLETELY different experiences at Cadillac dealerships. The first and local to me dealer was professional and nice. I was greeted before i even waled in the front door. Not the typical pushy salesman greeting but a genuine "Hi Sir, How can I help you today" and this was on a day where the weather was less than 40* outside. I let the salesman know that I was looking into purchasing a new V. We talked about the specific car I am interested in and went out to find her. Now mind you that the guy taking care of me is approx. 65 years old and the dealership is HUGE. so we walk around and finally realize that the car we are looking for is no where to be found. so we proceed to get into a golf cart that has the plastic doors on it and go on a car hunt. we find the car sitting by the shop side of the dealership waiting on its arrival "once over" the salesman hands me the key fob and i throw it into the cup holder and put my foot on the brake and turn the key.... I cant lie i giggled like a school girl when i heard the motor turn over.then I saw the navigation screen come up and i was sold rite then and there. this particular car is a 2012 Black Diamond Sedan with the Recaro's, Suede Steering Wheel and shift ****, Satin Black Wheels and the yellow calipers. all the Options I want and its at a local dealership. I tell the salesman that im not quite ready to pull the trigger but I am interested. So the next day i go to my Credit Union and ask for a Pre-Approval and the loan officer prints me off a letter and im ready to use it. so i return to the dealer a couple days later and ask about trade in value for my pick up truck. its a 04 chevy with low miles but it was in a minor accident recently so i have them appraise it for the value as it sits and a value once it is fixed. i get a solid offer and am ready to make the deal. But then my mind takes over and tells me i should not buy the first one i see so i tell them that i will do a little more shopping around to make sure i am getting the best deal on the car that i can. the salesman says "I cant blame you there but if you get an offer that beats mine call me and let me know so i can see what i can do"

so i leave there and drive straight to another dealer thats about an hour away that has the same car minus the yellow calipers. (not a dealbreaker for me not to have them) I have spoken to the internet sales manager through emails and he tells me to speak with the sales manager when i arrive and tell the manager that he sent me to him. So i arrive and walk into the dealership where they have to CTS-V coupes sitting in the showroom. There are four salesman standing about 10 feet from the door when I walk in and not a single one even says "HI" or "how are you today" they look at me and go rite back to their personal conversation about the football games that were going on today. so after about 10-15 min of looking at the V coupes i decide that i guess im invisible so i go talk to the man doing paperwork at the desk out in the middle of the showroom. I say "hi can i speak to the sales manager?" he directs me to the office and says hes with a client and he will be rite with me. Shortly after a Typical older Sales manager walks out and says "Hi i'm (BOB the sales manager since i dont remember his name we will go with BOB") I introduce myself and without saying another word he says "Larry will take good care of ya' he's rite there" I feel a little disrespected that I came to talk to him and he so much as introduces himself and pawns me off to an old salesman with about as much personality as a sack of potatoes. Other than being dry Larry is nice but not taking me seriously as a buyer for a new V. I tell him which car I am there to look at and he says he will get the keys and pull it into the service area so we can look at it without being in the 23* weather. then he comes back in and says the cars blocked in would i mind looking at it where its at. I play nice and say sure. we go out and start it up and play with all the cool gizmos. then i say to Larry lets get an appraisal of my truck and talk some numbers. Mind you this car is Listed $3000 below what i was quoted at the local dealership that i had a great experience at which was the main reason I made the drive. we head inside and he starts off by saying that there is a 1000 rebate going on rite now so im thinking great $4000 off, nope the rebate was placed in the internet price. o well i can manage. so apparently st this dealership they do a "service" that seals the paint and provides coverage on the interior and sound deadening on the under carrige. for a small fee of $1300. for some stuff i dont want. but its already done so they have to charge for it. and another $300 for "etching of the vin in the glass" which im sure is done by cadillac on every vehicle they make. so theres $1600 of stuff i dont want that i will pay for regardless.

then he comes back with the offer on my truck and its $7500.00 less than the appraisal i received from another cadillac dealer less than 4 hours ago. yes $7,500.00 LESS!! i tell larry im insulted and let him know that information. Larry says wow let me talk to my sales manager and see if he messed up. NOPE Apparently they use "a different book here and thats what he thinks we can get for it" so i tell larry Im sorry i wasted your time and more sorry i wasted mine and my gas to drive up there.

HE never came back and tried to make a better offer on the car. I informed Larry that i have been Pre-Approved for financing and if i would have been treated like an actual customer instead of a waste of his and his managers time we could have sold a $72,000 car today but they will never see a penny of mine.

BTW im 28 years old and I am not getting dressed up to go car shopping. Thats my idea of why i did not get taken seriously by the dealer. correct me if im wrong?
sorry for the Novel

Mike B

Last edited by mrbh22; 01-03-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added more
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go tomorrow to the local dealership and lock that bitch down for the price the other dealer has that car PLUS what they originally said your truck was worth.

I wouldn't buy a new car.. But if I did, I would make sure I liked the people I was buying it from.

If I car browse cars in my car I get people coming out of the wood works... Maybe from the cam lope, maybe not LOL... Browse car lots in the 97 beat to **** ranger... Please.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Teching In

i have spoken to the General Manager at the local dealer that i had a great experience with. and he is not only trying to match the price but beat it. the reason im attually thinking about buying NEW is because with this much money into a car i REALLY value the warranty and the free services!

maybe i should take the honda there and get it up on the anti-lag and make a ruckus. see what they say about that. lol.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I won't get into the new car VS old car buying debate.. LOL

Good deal.. When do you think you will have it by?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

No bad for you first new Car...haha.

Post pics when you do buy...and just wait til you get a V2 to run the 1/4. It will make you other cars (not the bike, haha) look like piles of crap. Few mods small mods and you are running mid 11s with heated seats.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
No bad for you first new Car...haha.

Post pics when you do buy...and just wait til you get a V2 to run the 1/4. It will make you other cars (not the bike, haha) look like piles of crap. Few mods small mods and you are running mid 11s with heated seats.
This is the reason the TA is getting heated seats and possibly heated side mirrors! LOL
I'm not kidding.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

whats the MSRP on the 2012 w. the yellow calipers? and what are they offering you? Not too long ago, i think fully loaded V's were going for $62-65k. I think you should really bargain, if im not mistaken, there is a 8% markup on vehicles at dealerships here in Canada. If they are saying 72k then I think you should give the 1st salesman up on his word and call him, and mention that you are already pre-approved and you would like the car for $62k with the trade in on your truck. Its not everyday people buy these type of cars and with the economy and gas prices, i think you have the advantage on the dealer. even at 62k, they are more than likely still making a good chunk of change. here is an example:

2 years ago I was looking at purchasing a 2010 Ford f150 Lariat Supercrew fully loaded, came out to $57,000+taxes/fees. I managed to haggle them down to $44,700 by the time I visited called the 4th new car sales manager (The first 3 dealers I visited in person and it wasted alot of my time, the best price was $46,100) When calling it saves you alot of time, they cant see you so they dont know if youre 70 yrs old or 22 yrs old.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Your getting the run around cuz your young buying a 72k car. Same thing happened when I bought my z06 new at 26. IT happens and it's a hot car. They could care less honestly since they probably think your waisting their time as they get lots of tire kickers on this hot car. They would rather wait for an older guy to come out where they don't have to do anyting and can just sign the papers.

The paint sealing is a con and not worth it nor is it needing charging for. It costs them 100 bucks and doesn't do anyting. Tell them you don't want it (if you were to get it from that spot)

Also you will buy new once, and then after that you never will again IMO (unless you just have money to burn. your 72k caddy just dropped to 62k. If you buy used the warranty is still there and you get all the bells n whistles, but do what you want. Go to the dealer that is close. When you have issues (and I'm sure you will) the dealer is a lot better to deal with IMO if you bought the car from them.

Good luck and have fun. When your ready to mod let me know...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by family-man
whats the MSRP on the 2012 w. the yellow calipers? and what are they offering you? Not too long ago, i think fully loaded V's were going for $62-65k. I think you should really bargain, if im not mistaken, there is a 8% markup on vehicles at dealerships here in Canada. If they are saying 72k then I think you should give the 1st salesman up on his word and call him, and mention that you are already pre-approved and you would like the car for $62k with the trade in on your truck. Its not everyday people buy these type of cars and with the economy and gas prices, i think you have the advantage on the dealer. even at 62k, they are more than likely still making a good chunk of change. here is an example:

2 years ago I was looking at purchasing a 2010 Ford f150 Lariat Supercrew fully loaded, came out to $57,000+taxes/fees. I managed to haggle them down to $44,700 by the time I visited called the 4th new car sales manager (The first 3 dealers I visited in person and it wasted alot of my time, the best price was $46,100) When calling it saves you alot of time, they cant see you so they dont know if youre 70 yrs old or 22 yrs old.
Um not sure where you live but here in Texas at least the cars don't stay on the lot a week. My local can't keep em in stock. Also 64 is base and stripped, you can't buy them that way unless you special order the 2012's.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
This is the reason the TA is getting heated seats and possibly heated side mirrors! LOL
I'm not kidding.
you mean like a pully and cai? lol The cars rock!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Teching In

thanks guys for the info. It will get the basic mods as soon as i get it home. Intake Headers Exhaust. then somewhere down the road i will be buying the pully kit and something to tune it with.

im in ohio and the DEALER has 5 new sedans 4 new coupes and 2 used all V's that are all V2 but only one manual.

im a true believer that a sports car should have a manual transmission. are their some people with educated opinions about the difference in transmissions in these cars? pros/cons of both
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

You don't need headers.

Auto's are faster, manuals are fun to drive but in traffic they suck... It's just personal opinion. With a good tune these auto's are awesome!

If your gonna do mods, the best bang for your buck is a cai, pulley (upper or lower it's your call ) and a tune will get you to about 550 rwhp.

have fun!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats on getting pre-approved and welcome to the site!!!

I am 32 and look like I'm 18 and had the same reaction when I bought my wifes Escalade. I dont dress to impress when I buy a car, there is a time and place for that.

It sucks when you dont get taken seriously but I guess thats their loss.

Good luck in finding your V!!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrbh22
the reason im attually thinking about buying NEW is because with this much money into a car i REALLY value the warranty and the free services!
On these types of cars I prefer Pre-Owned.
Saved a nice chunk off the new car price and it's warranty is extended because it's Certified Pre-Owned.

I just put a deposit on a Silver 2010 V Sedan w/ 2,800 miles. (Manual, Recaros, Ultraview, Nav, blah, blah, blah - You know)

Also, I'm in eastern, PA and the car is in Mass - so I won't really have to deal with the dealership BS as the car is going to be delivered for $500(well worth the cost vs. me having to drive 5-6 hours up to Mass, screw around at the dealership for a couple hours, then drive 5-6 hours back home)

Be sure to post pics when you get your new ride!

Last edited by mhhamrhead; 01-03-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

but the fun is driving it back!! Would be worth the 5-6 hours to me and alone time from the wife and kids!! haha

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
On these types of cars I prefer Pre-Owned.
Saved a nice chunk off the new car price and it's warrantied until 4/2016 or 100K miles because it's Certified Pre-Owned.

I just put a deposit on a Silver 2010 V Sedan w/ 2,800 miles. (Manual, Recaros, Ultraview, Nav, blah, blah, blah - You know)

Also, I'm in eastern, PA and the car is in Mass - so I won't really have to deal with the dealership BS as the car is going to be delivered for $500(well worth the cost vs. me having to drive 5-6 hours up to Mass, screw around at the dealership for a couple hours, then drive 5-6 hours back home)
Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
but the fun is driving it back!! Would be worth the 5-6 hours to me and alone time from the wife and kids!! haha
<--No wife. No kids.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Domsz06
you mean like a pully and cai? lol The cars rock!
HAHA they are bad ***, no doubt!
Originally Posted by mrbh22
thanks guys for the info. It will get the basic mods as soon as i get it home. Intake Headers Exhaust. then somewhere down the road i will be buying the pully kit and something to tune it with.

im in ohio and the DEALER has 5 new sedans 4 new coupes and 2 used all V's that are all V2 but only one manual.

im a true believer that a sports car should have a manual transmission. are their some people with educated opinions about the difference in transmissions in these cars? pros/cons of both
Auto all the way for me. I enjoy them more, they are more consistent, and quicker.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

has anyone had any reliability issues with either transmission? ie breakage or slipping of the auto?

if i did do a cai and pully and a tune would that void my warranty?

i drove an auto today and it was ok. but the weather here is about 20* and the road has zero traction with either auto or manual. i feel like the manual is more my taste. and that the manual transmission cars are less common. as far as driving in traffic with a clutch i dont hardly notice it because of the ease of the pedal and ive been driving manual transmissions all my life. i guess its different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

i'd go with the manual too. wayy too many auto v2's out there.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by family-man
i'd go with the manual too. wayy too many auto v2's out there.
thats because most (and i think it could be all now) are special orders.

Quick Reply: New Guy Just saying HI! / buying experience