Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

No cats!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoidZ71
450 whp is plenty for me. Thats pretty much unusable on the street. And I only plan on tracking or taking it to the strip a few times. I get more satisfaction out of the build. Hope to see some of you guys at beech bend in September.
450 is far from unuseable on the street. I make the numbers in my sig and other then first gear i can dead hook in 2nd on up on stock sized GSD3s. Good thing about turbos is its very easy to up the boost and put the power where you want.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To expand on the original subject of this thread:

It feels sluggish because you've altered your torque curve. Removing exhaust restrictions will move the power curve so that peak power is increased (where the flow is truly needed) but the lower end of the torque curve may suffer slightly.

As for the 450hp goal with a turbo setup... that sounds like flying to China to get to Hawaii--A lot longer, more expensive, and still gets you to the same place a direct flight would.

Engine mods are really all you need for 450hp. Now if you're initial goal is 450hp to get reliably out of a turbo setup and you like the idea of future upgrades... then that may make more sense.

I will throw this in there though. You're an engineering student in a 6yr old car. When you get out of school and potentially start making some more coin are you even going to still want that 8-9 year old car? A turbo setup would take you a significant amount of time and $$$$ and in the end you'd only get to enjoy it for a short period of time. There have been some good suggestions here (SC and/or cam) that will get you to your desired power levels in a much easier fashion.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like some have said, just doing a couple things to the engine with get you to your goal. H/C/I/E will net you mid to upper 400s at the wheels, depending on the specs of the parts used. And will cost you less than a single turbo.

If you are going F/I, you should be shooting 500+. With a LTs, Maggie, and Blower Cam you can easily be around 515-525 on a conservative tune. And if you really want to, with Heads, Cam, and a TVS1900 or 2300, you will be near 600 at the wheels.

As far as DD'ing a car with 500+, I would not know from personal experience, but other I have talked to or read about have Zero issue DD'ing the V with over 500. You just got know how to drive it with the power and get use to where the power band starts. Even with a tune and bolt ons, the cars driving dynamic will change since your power band is different.

GL with your build...hopefully it works out...
Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Launching!

the OP is a true bench racer!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Cadzila's Banned Troll Account

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
Like some have said, just doing a couple things to the engine with get you to your goal. H/C/I/E will net you mid to upper 400s at the wheels, depending on the specs of the parts used. And will cost you less than a single turbo.

If you are going F/I, you should be shooting 500+. With a LTs, Maggie, and Blower Cam you can easily be around 515-525 on a conservative tune. And if you really want to, with Heads, Cam, and a TVS1900 or 2300, you will be near 600 at the wheels.

As far as DD'ing a car with 500+, I would not know from personal experience, but other I have talked to or read about have Zero issue DD'ing the V with over 500. You just got know how to drive it with the power and get use to where the power band starts. Even with a tune and bolt ons, the cars driving dynamic will change since your power band is different.

GL with your build...hopefully it works out...

words of wisdom...from a "itty bitty baby".....lol
Old 02-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
To expand on the original subject of this thread:

It feels sluggish because you've altered your torque curve. Removing exhaust restrictions will move the power curve so that peak power is increased (where the flow is truly needed) but the lower end of the torque curve may suffer slightly.

As for the 450hp goal with a turbo setup... that sounds like flying to China to get to Hawaii--A lot longer, more expensive, and still gets you to the same place a direct flight would.

Engine mods are really all you need for 450hp. Now if you're initial goal is 450hp to get reliably out of a turbo setup and you like the idea of future upgrades... then that may make more sense.

I will throw this in there though. You're an engineering student in a 6yr old car. When you get out of school and potentially start making some more coin are you even going to still want that 8-9 year old car? A turbo setup would take you a significant amount of time and $$$$ and in the end you'd only get to enjoy it for a short period of time. There have been some good suggestions here (SC and/or cam) that will get you to your desired power levels in a much easier fashion.
Yes, I'm going for something a little more conservative than most. Which can likely be done easier with a supercharger-I appreciate the feedback guys! To answer your question, I do see myself keeping the car a while. I'd love a V2, but I want to have a Silverado/Sierra and a boat first (while still having my V). Thats another story though...

Appreciate the feedback!

Quick Reply: No cats!