Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...
View Poll Results: Which V1 motor mounts do you recommend?
UMI
45.00%
Creative Steel
45.00%
Revshift
10.00%
Those sucks, get these (see my reply)
0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Motor Mounts for V1? (POLL)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How's getting into first at a stop? That's really my only gripe at the moment.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lube!!! (spermicidle of course)
Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
How's getting into first at a stop? That's really my only gripe at the moment.
It's amazing, like an entirely new car and by far the best $50 I've ever spent. My trans mount was really sagging and compressed which I believe was putting the transmission at an angle causing bad geometry with the linkage setup and the reason it was such a pain in the *** to put the insert in.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by etcts-v
Haha, you're not going to believe me when I tell you.

I used an engine crane! I took the cross section of the mount off the car, put it under the legs of the crane then hooked the crane up to the top of the motor mount and used the crane to pull the motor mount apart far enough to slide the new mount in.

Even with the crane pulling, I still had to use a long screw driver along with a lot of grunting, pushing and swearing to get it in. Once I got it in it's solid and made a HUGE difference with my shifting.
Hah. I tried a fundamentally similar approach on the transmission block, but didn't have the tools like you did. I'm going to try again next weekend when I have more time, and if it works, I may post it up to help other people out. In essence:

- The problem is that the front and back edges of the RevShift block are raised to avoid slippage and, if you have more than 2 miles on the transmission, the OEM mount has collapsed somewhat, presenting a terribly narrow slot for you to try (in vain) to smash the block through.

- One potential solution, in theory, is to loosen the transmission brace as much as possible and insert a pair of fat wrenches or other ad-hoc spacers between the brace and the frame of the car. Then, if you place your hydraulic jack beneath the back of the transmission and apply maximum pressure (to the point where the car is nearly lifted off the jack stands), the transmission brace and transmission will be stretching the rubber transmission mount just enough to jam the block in.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Hah. I tried a fundamentally similar approach, but didn't have the tools like you did. I'm going to try again next weekend when I have more time, and if it works, I may post it up to help other people out. In essence:

- The problem is that the front and back edges of the RevShift block are raised to avoid slippage and, if you have more than 2 miles on the transmission, the OEM mount has collapsed somewhat, presenting a terribly narrow slot for you to try (in vain) to smash the block through.

- One potential solution is to loosen the transmission brace as much as possible and insert a pair of fat wrenches or other ad-hoc spacers between the brace and the frame of the car. Then, if you place your hydraulic jack beneath the back of the transmission and apply maximum pressure (to the point where the car is nearly lifted off the jack stands), the transmission brace and transmission will be stretching the rubber transmission mount just enough to jam the block in.
You nailed it! Those edges while critical to operation, make installation a real challenge. The other thing is the stock rubber doesn't have a lot of give and requires a lot of tension to get them to stretch enough to slip the mount in.

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts for V1? (POLL)