Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Newbie to the "V" family ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Newbie to the "V" family ...

Hey V fam,

Just bought the "family sedan" I've always wanted

Newbie to the "V" family ...-caddy.jpg
2005 Cadillac CTS-V

She's bone stock now and I don't plan on doing "too much" I'd like to do:

Volant CAI, Ported TB, Ignition Coils, AC Delco Platinum Plugs, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk Pads, Short Throw shifter (not sure if I should go with B&M or Kaytech), Dyno Tune, some upgrades to the sound(speakers/sub) , new navigation disk, and HIDS in the High/Low beams, Fogs, & even yellow parking lamps if they sell HIDs for those.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

The previous owner of this Caddy did not take the best care of her but no worries anymore, she's in great hands now!

If anyone has any helpful suggestions or advise for a newbie like myself please reply!

I'm already learning alot from this forum, looking forward to interacting with everyone!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome! Why do you want to replace the ignition coils? I'd recommend coilOVERS instead.

I love my b&m shifter but they're discontinued so you'd probably have a hard time finding one.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Thank you ... no real particular reason to replace the stock ignition coils except to attempt in getting better/more efficient spark. If it is unnecessary I will probably skip changing the coils since they are close to $700 bucks for all of them and not really necessary at the moment.

Bummer about the B&M being discontinued, I might have to go with the Katech after all.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a few options for shifters these days. The modified ones by the forum members seem to be the best bang for your buck
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

welcome to the family!

I'd also pass on the ignition coils, stock are more than adequate.
There are a couple ways to modify the stock shifter, but the end result is essentially the same. Modified stock is by far the best bang for your buck.

One thing not on your list, that I would recommend, is a wheel hop elimination axle or axles... depending on how much you want to spend.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Good call on the anti wheel hop kit ... that definitely needs to go on the list! I seen the kit from BMR that looks promising. I also read through some info & plan on changing the rear dif bushing/mount, as well as the trans mount to improve the shifting feel & performance. Seems to be a common issue with our Vs
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats and Enjoy. That being said, look into your motor/ trans mounts as well as the diff bushing and the shifter bushings. If theyre stock or past their prime these would be the first things to look into, upgraded ones can make a world of difference in how the car drives. Enjoy the ride.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock ignition coils and wires are fine. Drilled rotors will crack if you are tough on them. PISNUOFF shifter is awesome, lol. DDMTuning for HID's and LED's.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hyprZ28
Hey V fam,

Just bought the "family sedan" I've always wanted

Attachment 350222
2005 Cadillac CTS-V

She's bone stock now and I don't plan on doing "too much" I'd like to do:

Volant CAI, Ported TB, Ignition Coils, AC Delco Platinum Plugs, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk Pads, Short Throw shifter (not sure if I should go with B&M or Kaytech), Dyno Tune, some upgrades to the sound(speakers/sub) , new navigation disk, and HIDS in the High/Low beams, Fogs, & even yellow parking lamps if they sell HIDs for those.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

The previous owner of this Caddy did not take the best care of her but no worries anymore, she's in great hands now!

If anyone has any helpful suggestions or advise for a newbie like myself please reply!

I'm already learning alot from this forum, looking forward to interacting with everyone!
I wouldn't put HIDs in the high beams because you normally flash them, and HIDs need to warm up. I also wouldn't attempt to put anything in the parking light, but the fogs, I can understand. Its not technically legal for HID fogs, but I have used them, and when I'm driving at night, they do tend to help.

The new nav disc, I think someone around here has one they're kinda renting out. Volant intake isn't worth it, specifically in the LS6. You could save that money by building your own FFV style intake (which wouldn't be that great either), or by putting it towards headers.

As for short throw, I'd go azn or pisnuoff. I went Azn because he was doing a custom 1 off and he offered me the GT500 **** with the shifter at a price that was real good IMO.

As for rotors... if you drive hard, don't get drilled. Get slotted only, or slotted \ dimpled.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome

/\ rotors i have in storage waiting for mine OEMs to warp

no intake nor cat back exhaust will net you any noticeable RWHP/tq.. so cut the mufflers off if you want more sound and buy a SS and make a homemade intake haha

DIY intake :http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...manceMain.html

LED guide i used:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...pics-name.html

check the FAQ on that site at least. everything you want to know has been ask and answered somewhere
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome! As with any vehicle, attack all the weak links first so they dont bite you later. I'm learning all of the Vs weak spots as well, and it seems like common areas. Enjoy, and get ready to spend spend spend..
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=shadyLS6;16217459]welcome

/\ rotors i have in storage waiting for mine OEMs to warp
=QUOTE]

Same rotors I'm running, love em.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Thanx for all the info so far, already learning a great amount & the spending has already begun (lol)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Welcome from one nubie to another...
My list:

Diferential Bushing Creative Craft.
CAGS delete
Motor mounts
Transmission mount
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Brians shifter should be #1 on the list

If I still had the stock shifter, my drop down tray from the center console would probably have a huge dent in it
Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Default mounts?

Originally Posted by Bertbart
Welcome from one nubie to another...
My list:

Diferential Bushing Creative Craft.
CAGS delete
Motor mounts
Transmission mount
Bertbart did you go with Creative Steel motor mounts or just stock OEM mounts?

I want to maintain a Cadillac type ride quality while fixing the common issues such as the differential bushing, trans mount, shifter bushings
Old 04-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Default shifter ...

Originally Posted by wcryan
Brians shifter should be #1 on the list

If I still had the stock shifter, my drop down tray from the center console would probably have a huge dent in it
Definitely looking to change out this sloppy shifter, still on the fence on which one to get but from what I've seen the UUC shifter would be a great (but pricey) choice.

I also seen some instructions on how to install it which scared the crap out of me (having to disemble the exhaust) but then I seen a more updated set of instructions which seems like you can do most of the install from inside the car (thank goodness I found those lol)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

No need to remove the exhaust and trans. Just have an extra set of hands ready. I have found beer and/or blackmail to work well when trying to convince someone to help you at the last moment.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

that guy in this thread 07cts-v

Get his shifter. It's cheap(money wise), great quality and I dont think there is a waiting list right now for his

Quick Reply: Newbie to the "V" family ...