Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

So I found my vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So I found my vibration problem

Apparently when I curbed my wheel a while back I snapped the bolt off my front passenger side control arm. Assuming a part of the bolt is still inside it I am going to need a new one. Will load a picture of it in a few so you guys can see it. I need a control arm if someone has one laying around. Secondly does the control arm off a regular cts fit the v? Thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an extra set of front upper control arms. Do you need upper or lower?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

....and I may be headed out to That Fish Place on Centerville Rd on Sunday so let me know...
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am assuming its the lower actually here is a pic of my problem...notice there should be a bolt there. Are they the same in the base cts cause I have one sitting around?

That fish place by the way is awesome it's like the baltimore aquarium for kids
Attached Thumbnails So I found my vibration problem-dscn0764-1-.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that's the lower, I can't help you there. I wouldn't drive too much on that, you are no doubt putting extra pressure on the other lower shock mounting bolt.

So is the rest of the bolt still in there?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah its still in there, I tried to put a thin screw driver in the hole and it didnt go in there so I'm assuming so. I was reading on the base cts's and it says that they have some called FE1's some are FE3's and so on. Think ours is called an FE3 but am not sure. Last thing I want to do at this point is buy the wrong one... I'm extremely irritated by this point because I had NTB give me a wheel alignment twice since I curbed it and them fu*ks didnt notice that this was the problem. I've been driving on this damn thing for months. 7-8 k miles by now. Now I'm scared to get into the damn car...
Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a stud or just a bolt through the control arm like on an fbody? If it is just a bolt I would think you would be able to get it out.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think its a bolt, but wouldn't the thread be stripped at this point anyway...maybe re-thread it but idk. Here is a pic of it from cleveland auto parts but those guys try to rip you off on everything including shipping. The bolt at the bottom of the two is my problem
Attached Thumbnails So I found my vibration problem-control-arm.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is a bolt.

If the threads are phucked, re-thread with an insert repair kit (heli-coil).
Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ My vote too then. Might could even do it in the car. Would be easier off the car but need an alignment after.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have free alignments at NTB since I bought a 3 year plan but now I question their work since the idiots didn't spot this issue at two different occasions. Doesn't seem like too much of a bit*h to take this thing out, need to get it done in the next few days. I would also have to tap it somehow to get the damn remaining bolt out to begin with.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd pull it off and take it to a machine shop to have them extract the bolt.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like an EZ Out would work?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Have you tried taking the other bolt off and lifting up the strut to see how much of the bolt is sticking out? You may be able to get vice grips on it. Otherwise, a machine shop or a good old welder should be able to weld a nut onto it if is fairly close to the top.

I wouldn't be too pisst off at NTB. Their job is to align the car, that bolt is not part of the alignment process so they wouldn't touch it. If they have to pull the tire and play with shims on the control arms, then it would be more likely that it would be right there in front of their face to see it. You are not paying them for an inspection though, and this strut setup is different then most so it is a little odd to begin with.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it sucks they didn't catch it but from their perspective you wouldn't really see the bolts much less notice it cocked sideways..

At least they didn't round off your rear toe adjustment nut trying to break it free...or leave the front lower control arm bolt loose so it would snap on you while driving. Those awards go to firestone.

I once drove to chicago and back with the wrong size bolt holding my front upper control arm on..i lost the original and was in a jam so I replaced it with some home depot ****. I got home and took the V in for a new diff and the dealer wouldn't even drive it 10 feet with the bolt in. I had to buy a 10 dollar stock bolt to go in there. When they put it on the lift to install the wheel fell down.. Wasn't too funny considering I'd just run 1000 miles including a jailbait run on the dan ryan with a z06

Quick Reply: So I found my vibration problem