Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

oem vs gm performance water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem vs gm performance water pump?

Water pump is leaking and it's time for a replacement on my ls2. Anybody know the difference besides price on the oem and gm performance part?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I didn't realize there was a GMPP pump. What's the part number (if you know it)?

OK, searching on Summit, I see 89018052 for $300. Interestingly enough, there's an ACDelco pump with the same part number for $220. Also interestingly enough, Summit lists it as "standard volume" rather than "high volume", so that makes it seem like the GMPP pump isn't anything special.

But that's a rather unscientific analysis on my part. Anyone else know anything for realz?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

I know Evans has some nice pumps and claim something like 20% more flow, but are on backorder, so I won't be waiting.
I'll be ordering a new pump this weekend, info on the gmpp would be nice.
Same part number has me wondering?
Maybe the GMPP is OEM?
Maybe I'll try posting this in the gen4 section, maybe someone over there knows.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well ended up ordering an Edelbrock high flow pump. Guess i like spending money. figured might as well spend an extra hundred and get a bit of an upgrade. Plus it will look nice, and if it fails again it will be cheap and easy to change, because it's rebuildable.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What part # is the Edelbrock WP? I'll put it in the archives in case mine ***** the bed.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Edelbrock #8896 is their Victor series pump for the LS motors. Apparently a stock/normal pulley won't fit, so you have to buy their billet pulley to go along with it (#8898) - that tacks another $90 onto the price.

There's also a 2-piece Victor Pro series pump (#8895), which is another $100 higher than the 8896. I don't remember seeing the 8895 when I was searching for pump options earlier this year, so maybe it's a new application? And even the "regular" Victor series pump is 2-piece - you can buy a replacement cartridge for it (part #8897) - so I'm not sure what the deal is with the 8895 part.

OK, just looked on Edelbrock's site (I was searching for the parts on Summit Racing's site) and it appears the 8895 pump is strictly a racing piece. Relocated thermostat, reversed rotation direction, won't work with normal accessory brackets, have to use a carbureted intake manifold, etc.

Interesting to see the difference in the pump impellers on the 8897 cartridge (the normal pump) and the 8828 cartridge (Pro series pump). It's a shame they don't offer the 8828 style impeller in a "normal" housing for those of us who want a better pump but aren't drag racers.

Edit: In further searching around, looks like PRW (who I've never heard of before) also makes "performance" pumps for LS engines, in both polished and natural flavors. They say their impeller is machined cast iron, same as Edelbrock, but the pump isn't rebuildable.

I'm curious what the stock pump actually is on the inside. Has anyone ever broken one open?

Last edited by AAIIIC; 09-11-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ he's got the info. The Edelbrock was only a few dollars more than the GMPP pump, which is what I would have went with. But ya you got to buy a pully which makes it ~ $100.00 more. They claim it flow 16% more than stock and flows evenly to both sides within 1%. Didn't really want to buy a WP, but given a chance to upgrade I might as well. I can snap pics this weekend of both when I swap them out
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Ohhhh had I seen those PRW I might have bought one of those, but i do like the fact the Edelbrock can be rebuilt by a simple cartridge swap. But those PRW's sure are purty.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

new pump in car almost back together, soon I'll see how it does.

She's a very tight squeeze trying to get the fans back in. The pulley sticks forward quite abit more on the edelbrock.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Man, you have a lot of meat on the table with that throttle body. All nicked up. Did you try to sand it down or something?

Also, I see you have a Mike Norris catch can. Mine is coming in tomorrow. Any advice on the installation? Do I need to go run out and get new hardware if I already have a PCV line epoxied into my current intake tube?

Back on topic, the water pump looks purty. Unfortunately, that huge pulley will make it absolutely impossible to break free or tighten the harmonic balancer bolt without first removing the water pump.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 09-14-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Man, you have a lot of meat on the table with that throttle body. All nicked up. Did you try to sand it down or something?

Also, I see you have a Mike Norris catch can. Mine is coming in tomorrow. Any advice on the installation? Do I need to go run out and get new hardware if I already have a PCV line epoxied into my current intake tube?

Back on topic, the water pump looks purty. Unfortunately, that huge pulley will make it absolutely impossible to break free or tighten the harmonic balancer bolt without first removing the water pump.
LOl I ported the TB but got fed up with doing the blade, burt out my dremel, so said F* it.
I think I can still get at the balancer with an extention, with the fans out.

No special tips on the catch can pretty straigt forward.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the verdict? Did the car run any cooler?

thanks

Pat
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, what's the story? Is the car up and running, and if so, how's the pump doing?

Any pics and/or measurements with the fans installed? I'm curious what clearance there is, as I've got an Alradco radiator, and it's pretty damn fat.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
It looks like the pulley comes off with the 4 allen screws.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Thinking about doing this and swapping out my thermostat. If you measure from the front lip of the tb to the front of the pump pulley whats the distance there? I'm running a ron davis radiator that leaves little if any room in the area.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry haven't been on the forum in awhile. Water temps seem the same or higher at idle, I guess less time for the water to be in the rad. maybe oil/engine temp is lower? It seems to really lower temps when the car is moving, i can't say how much better/or same as stock as I never really paid attention before. I had to remove the fans to get the sucker in, I never removed the fans to get the old one out. If your fans are in the stock location I don't think you will easly be fitting it in with a thicker rad. I'll take pictures with a tape measure.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

This is the best pick to show clearance, there is only about an inch or so between the pully and fan gaurd, I even trimmed the gaurd for easier install of the fans.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

From the front of the water pump to pulley edge the length if 4". The front of this pump and the oem i figure is a bout the same distance fromnthe block.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Teching In

I recently changed my water pump. For the ls6 the wp was running over $200 anywhere I looked. I bought a wp for an ls1 camaro. It bolted right in and works perfect. The pulley is a bit bigger like the edelbrock wp but it seems to be cheaper and works just as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=
From the front of the water pump to pulley edge the length if 4". The front of this pump and the oem i figure is a bout the same distance fromnthe block.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pics, I guess I will not be going with this pump. As good as the Ron davis radiator is, it just eats up all the room up front.

Quick Reply: oem vs gm performance water pump?