Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS7 clutch help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 clutch help please

Im sure this subject has been beaten to death, but is there a step by step guide on how to do this swap?

Also im trying to order all the parts i need tonight so i can have them shipped in by next week. Is there anything special i need other than the clutch?

The car is a 2004
Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Step 1: Buy LS7 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, flywheel bolts, LS7 slave cylinder, bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid, and *Tick remote bleeder for the LS7 slave

Step 2: Remove trans, bellhousing, pressure plate, clutch, POS dual mass flywheel, and slave cylinder

Step 3: Install new parts and trans

Step 4: Enjoy. Not trying to be a dick, but it's really that straight forward. Searching will get you what you need.

The biggest PITA is bleeding the system. I have found the easiest way is to bleed it conventionally until you start getting pedal feel, then open the bleeder as the clutch is slowly depressed...but you have to make sure that you close the bleeder before the pedal reaches the end of travel. Pump the pedal 10x between bleeding and repeat this a few times.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I called mike at East Coast Performance. They've been running an LS7 clutch promotion for a while. He set me up with everything I needed.

Here is a write-up on a clutch install: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...h-install.html
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info, i already have a LS7 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel that came out of my buddies Z06. Just didnt know if i needed anything else. guess ill need to find some bolts and a slave. I thought he told me i needed to order something from katech, but maybe not.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with DMM. There are guides available. This one got me most of the way there:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...h-install.html

By the way, this is the single hardest installation you'll ever do on this car. Other things you need:

1. 26 spline tool
2. At least 4 feet of extension
3. The $75 Harbor Freight transmission jack
4. Transmission and differential fluid of your choice (now is a good time)
5. Short shifter and UUC bushings if you haven't already done those
6. Blue Loctite

New flywheel bolts are required because they're torque-to-yield (not reusable). Definitely get the Tick remote bleeder. By the way, any of the F1 Racing kits (like the more expensive LS7 MF kit, for example) have a lot of what you need already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-MF-RACE-C...&forceRpt=true
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eggsnmilkctsv
Thanks for the info, i already have a LS7 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel that came out of my buddies Z06. Just didnt know if i needed anything else. guess ill need to find some bolts and a slave. I thought he told me i needed to order something from katech, but maybe not.
Here's the LS7 slave you need.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan on using your stock (OE) slave, then you need the spacer from Katech. This is b/c the OE CTS-V flywheel is a dual mass design that is twice as thick as the LS7. If you install the LS7 slave, you're good to go. The flywheel bolts are TTY (stretch bolts) so they cannot be reused unless they are ARP bolts. The OE GM bolts are pretty cheap though...just not reusable like the ARP's.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Great thank you so much! one more question, can i not just reuse my stock slave? i just looked up the katech spacer will this work? http://store.katechengines.com/cts-v...pacer-p95.aspx
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

It's a good idea to replace your pilot bearing while you're in there. You'll need a pilot bearing extractor tool which i think u can rent from auto parts stores.

I'll second or third the recommendation for the remote bleeder. It takes all the hassle out of bleeding and you'll likely not get all the air out the first time.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you reuse the stock slave you need the spacer.
If you get the ls7 slave you don't.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Great thank you so much! one more question, can i not just reuse my stock slave? i just looked up the katech spacer will this work? http://store.katechengines.com/cts-v...pacer-p95.aspx
NO. Run away!

Seriously, look up my name on Google with "LS7" and "shim" as keywords. I went through 6-7 rounds on my transmission trying to figure this out. Do NOT shim your LS2 slave. I've already went through the Katech shim + LS2 slave trap. Complete waste of money, for two reasons: first, that shim isn't quite thick enough, so you'll never quite get the clutch fully disengaged. Second, the outer diameter of the LS7 slave's throw-out bearing (the part of the slave that forces the pressure plate fingers in) is slightly bigger than the LS2. Combine a LS7 pressure plate with a LS2 slave and you get clutch pedal vibration under light-to-moderate pressure because that slave can't quite hit all of the fingers evenly.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

You'd also hate to have a slave go out on you and have to replace that later. It's nearly equivalent to a clutch swap all over again.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch help please