Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

78mm turbo v1 fuel pump help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 78mm turbo v1 fuel pump help

Ok so I recently finished up my turbo kit and after battling some injector issues I finally made a couple clean dyno pulls, made 475 at 6000 on 8psi and hadn't started putting any timing in it yet, only 12 degrees hence the low power number. Previous to this I saw about 15rwhp gain per degree of timing so with enough fueling it should make quite a bit more w same boost after I put 5-6 more degrees in it. Plus with my cam power should easily climb to 7k rpm w the right fueling. Anyway I'm in search of a fuel pump upgrade now.

By 6k rpm with the stock fuel pump, rail pressure starts dropping below 30psi and effectively starts leaning out. I'm going to get a racetronics Hotwire kit but I've already spent too much on this thing and I need to keep fuel system modifications to a minimum.

So basically the question is this: what fuel pump can I upgrade to that will be a direct drop in plug and play replacement? It needs to be able to make at least 650rwhp on pump 91 with stock fuel pressure regulation of 58psi. Pumps I am looking at are the walbro 416 and the Deatsch werks 300 series and like I said it will be wired with the racetronix Hotwire kit. What pumps have you guys had experience with? And no a boost a pump is not happening I'm not going to spend 2-300 on a bandaid when I can spend the same or less on a pump and Hotwire kit and do it right. Any help much appreciated!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

pics of turbo setup and I will give you all the answers
Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this 30 PSI as measured at the fuel rail? If so, it's not really 30 PSI with 8 lbs of boost...it's actually 22 PSI. If the injectors have to fire into a pressurized manifold the effective PSI is reduced by the same amount on a 1 for 1 scale. If you are modding the fuel system you should probably look into installing a fuel pressure regulator that increases fuel pressure 1/1 with boost.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

98cobra if I was technologically competent enough to upload pics from my iPhone I would, teach me how lol.

Dmm, a boost referenced pressure regulator is on the to do list but like I said I've already gone over budget so for now just want a bigger drop in pump. And yes 30psi rail pressure means it was measured at the rail so yes effective fuel pressure would be 22 ish downstream of the injector.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where is the turbo? Underneath? Or have you found some new secret location?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Turbo is where the driver side cat used to be, similar to gulfm3's kit except mine is just a single 78mm Turbonetics. Just brought passenger side exhaust under the trans then merge into driver side exh and turbo. Single 3" downpipe with a Y into 2.5" dual factory exhaust. 5" core front mount intercooler. Had to run a scavenge pump setup etc. all stainless tig welded hot parts. Was my first ever fab project so it's not as pretty as it could be but seems to be getting the job done. Starts making boost aroun 3500 and I see peak boost around 4200, and from there power curve has a linear increase all the way up looks great. Haven't been able to turn it high enough to see if/where power starts dropping tho due to fueling. I will probably post a brief build thread once it's all ironed out and everything is tidied up. Still one or two little things yet to do along with fuel pump.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can email pictures to me and i can host them for you if you want. then i can post it up here.
Liqidvenom @ gmail .com
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont think a single in tank pump is gonna support 650rwhp safely. To do it right you should put dual pumps in even if you put one on a hobbs switch to be boost activated. I would seriously get the fuel system up to par before you try to add anymore power and I would actually turn it back down in the mean time. Fuel should be addressed first on any setup like yours.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I dont think a single in tank pump is gonna support 650rwhp safely. To do it right you should put dual pumps in even if you put one on a hobbs switch to be boost activated. I would seriously get the fuel system up to par before you try to add anymore power and I would actually turn it back down in the mean time. Fuel should be addressed first on any setup like yours.
Yes I turned the boost down to about 450whp where air fuel stays about 11:1. And I disagree I've personally seen a DW 320 pump in single form make over 600 whp on e85 which requires about 30% more fuel. Meaning that pump should support north of 700whp on 91 octane gasoline. And the walbro 416 will outflow that pump and I have a buddy that builds a lot of supras and has made over 800wheel with a single walbro 416 on a supra.

My question isnt if its possible i know the answer to that, it is which pump have v1 owners had luck with being a direct drop in, I would prefer to not have to modify factory wiring or factory fuel pump assembly. I know there are pumps that in some vehicles you simply unplug the stock pump, plug in the new pump drop the assembly back in and done. This is a daily driver so I need minimal downtime so I'd prefer to not get some random pump then find out after I get my stock pump assembly out that I'm going to have to make a bunch of modifications to make it all work. I want simple plug and play.

And before someone sais if I don't want my car to be down then how did I build a turbo kit for it, I did all the mock up fab and assembly on weekends, then would put the car back to driveable condition to drive to work. Took about 4-5 weekends that way from bone stock intake and exhaust system to fully completed turbo kit running and driving. Not the easiest process but it can be done.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I should have clarified, a single in tank pump in our tank. You WILL have to modify the pickup and bucket for a bigger pump.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

That's what I was afraid of. It is what it is I it has to be done. Was just hoping to run into someone that sais something along the lines of "oh yea I'm making 630rwhp with ___ fuel pump and was direct replacement lol. What fuel pump have you swapped to itsslow?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssinister550
That's what I was afraid of. It is what it is I it has to be done. Was just hoping to run into someone that sais something along the lines of "oh yea I'm making 630rwhp with ___ fuel pump and was direct replacement lol. What fuel pump have you swapped to itsslow?
Before I sold my V I bought a single in tank racetronix 255 with the hotwire kit. Lonnies performance was great to deal with on here and we spoke in length about him putting together a dual pump in tank setup. It was costly but he assured me due to the design of the tank it wasnt a simple task. I would suggest giving them a call and speaking with them about your build.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

I talked to lonnie for a great deal of time about doing my fuel system because of how big a PITA it is on a V1 he can do it but it will be a pretty penny. Also I'm not a huge fan of the hobbs switch setup, so I ended up just making a Surge tank in the trunk where the spare tire would be. I put the racetronix hot wire and pump in the tank then plumbed it to the surge tank, and did a return system. Cost under $1000 with all the An lines and fitting did a -8 feed with -6 return. That would probably be your best bet because you can keep your stock fuel system in the tank.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

If you can put a turbo on a V1 thats not mounted in the rear... you are over qualified for getting pictures on this forum lol its pretty simple. But i am SUPER INTERESTED IN YOUR BUILD!!! you have a PM waiting.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

bosch 350.. look on lingefelter. good to 900hp. i have one waiting for me to have time to pop it in
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
bosch 350.. look on lingefelter. good to 900hp. i have one waiting for me to have time to pop it in
Let me know how that goes please, looks like that may be a great option. Although I talked to a guy at lingenfelter today (that wasnt able to answer very many questions lol) and he said he believes for that pump to work the stock fuel pump basket may require modification. That's about all I got out of him.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Launching!

in for some pics.....

Quick Reply: 78mm turbo v1 fuel pump help