Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bad TPMS Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Bad TPMS Sensor?

I just went through the TPMS programming function on my new Forgestar wheels three times with the same result. Accessory on, hold down both buttons on the remote, wait for the honk. Then, starting at the driver's side wheel, release air until you hear a honk. Go clockwise around the wheels doing this. Unfortunately, it looks like the front passenger side sensor might be dead--I'm not getting a honk on that wheel, meaning that I stop the process right there.

Do you concur that the TPMS sensor must be dead? It was supposedly brand-new when I bought it.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

swap that wheel with another wheel and see what happens.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen brand new ones from GM be bad out of the box. They are easy to damage too, if the tech didn't torque them right when swapping it to the Forgestars.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Weirdest thing... during my drive tonight, I had the typical "---" on all four wheels, but then the "broken" TPMS sensor came alive. Just that one.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

were they all bought at the same time? I've heard of green and black sensors not playing nicely with each other.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Weirdest thing... during my drive tonight, I had the typical "---" on all four wheels, but then the "broken" TPMS sensor came alive. Just that one.
IIRC, once you start your TPMS relearn, you have to finish it or those "---" will happen. I know when I replaced all 4 when I did tires, I started and was having issues with only 1 reading and they all stayed "---" until I did the relearn correctly.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

I'm still waiting for the day when someone figures out how to completely remove and disable this godforsaken shitbox of a system called tpms. Not sure if it can be done with the v's but I know that some of these tpms sensors can be taught by handheld remote if you know someone at a shop, or tire shop.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
I'm still waiting for the day when someone figures out how to completely remove and disable this godforsaken shitbox of a system called tpms. Not sure if it can be done with the v's but I know that some of these tpms sensors can be taught by handheld remote if you know someone at a shop, or tire shop.
My tire guys does mine with the handheld tool. I put it in the learn mode and he goes around to the sensors and reprograms them.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

The handheld programmer just gives the nearest sensor a bump in activity so the car can recognize which corner that sensor belongs to. Letting a pinch of air out has the same effect.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
The handheld programmer just gives the nearest sensor a bump in activity so the car can recognize which corner that sensor belongs to. Letting a pinch of air out has the same effect.
This.

The tool saves time, that's about it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
I just took all of mine out and the car "forgot" about them. I have an '04.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DougNuts
I just took all of mine out and the car "forgot" about them. I have an '04.
Does doing this leave you with a warning light or a dic screen that come on at startup showing blank tpms sensors?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Nope, only thing I get is the dash for each tire if I scroll to it on the display. No more false flat alerts and no pressure warning lights at all.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Can you still disable traction control?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

I swapped wheels at Sebring this weekend to run my slicks on a second set of wheels and the TPMS wouldn't program with a handheld programmer. I had no problems turning off the traction control and the DIC still showed pressures of all 4, but the pressure wasn't correct. No harm, no foul. I was waiting for something to not be happy, but all was well.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Without using the TPMS you can either drive 50 miles or so to get into Comp Mode otherwise you have to pull the "trunk release" 10A fuse behind the drivers seat to disable them to go right into Comp Mode. Downside to the fuse is the trunk release won't work and neither will the key fob as they are all connected...
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Can you still disable traction control?
Yes, no problems with anything.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Without using the TPMS you can either drive 50 miles or so...
That is correct. After removing TPMS, it took my car a while to 'forget' them. Also, the sensors have to be stored away from the car or it will still try to read them.

In other words, you can't just swap wheels at the track or leave the sensors in your garage. Throw them out or store them far away from the car.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I just went through the TPMS programming function on my new Forgestar wheels three times with the same result. Accessory on, hold down both buttons on the remote, wait for the honk. Then, starting at the driver's side wheel, release air until you hear a honk. Go clockwise around the wheels doing this. Unfortunately, it looks like the front passenger side sensor might be dead--I'm not getting a honk on that wheel, meaning that I stop the process right there.

Do you concur that the TPMS sensor must be dead? It was supposedly brand-new when I bought it.
No need to release steadily until it honks, just let it out for about a second, then let off and wait... It will read. I've never timed it but think it goes through some sort of static time cycle, then reads, whether you've been letting air out or not..

Has nothing to do with why yours won't read, just thought I'd mention. I used to hold it down and many times I'd end up with a near flat tire if I had to start over..
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beat me to it. Yeah pinch is a better word. A whole second is even longer than necessary.

/tjo
ps are you still running 255 40s?
/tjo

Quick Reply: Bad TPMS Sensor?