Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read my posts in the link below. Should keep you from FN hanging further.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24441181#post24441181
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called RCV before ordering from DSS. RCV is either no longer making the stubs or just too busy to mess with it, because the turned me to DSS.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Creative Steel has $600 off their complete kit right now, guess someone is watching. Also the basic brackets are now $500.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
Creative Steel has $600 off their complete kit right now, guess someone is watching. Also the basic brackets are now $500.
They've had $600 off their kit and $100 off their bracket since approximately the start of the serious DIY 8.8 discussion, which dates back to earlier this summer (not the same thread). Coincidence? I don't know.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if this has been said here before (at least I have not read it) but it is a good idea to drill/tap and install a 3/8 NPT plug into the bottom of the 8.8 housing for these cars. Most of the rear covers do not come with a drain plug, just a fill, and the CS just comes with optional cooler ports. So in order to drain the fluid and change it will require you to remove the pumpkin from the car and either take off the rear cover or stand it up and drain it from either of the holes on the rear cover. So unless you would like to have to remove your CV's and unbolt the drive shaft, then the rear end just to change fluid by all means. And yes, I thought of this after having mine completely installed
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

You could prob dril and tap it in the car couldnt you?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Not sure if this has been said here before (at least I have not read it) but it is a good idea to drill/tap and install a 3/8 NPT plug into the bottom of the 8.8 housing for these cars. Most of the rear covers do not come with a drain plug, just a fill, and the CS just comes with optional cooler ports. So in order to drain the fluid and change it will require you to remove the pumpkin from the car and either take off the rear cover or stand it up and drain it from either of the holes on the rear cover. So unless you would like to have to remove your CV's and unbolt the drive shaft, then the rear end just to change fluid by all means. And yes, I thought of this after having mine completely installed
I just suck out the oil with a cheap fluid pump.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

vacuum pump and patience should do the trick.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Little update back on topic, I found a DS from a 06 mustang GT at the local junk yard for cheap. One way or another I'll figure out how to use the stock CTS-V drive shaft with parts from the Mustang driveshaft for a very cheap solution.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used a mac cover that has a drain port, but before that i drilled and tapped the very bottom of the cover itself (stock) and used a large set screw as a drain plug.. take a few minutes for all the oil to drain out of the small hole but it works just fine.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Read my posts in the link below. Should keep you from FN hanging further.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24441181#post24441181
Thanks, I guess. I am not sure why you are being a dick as I was just messing with you bud.

I guess you were kidding?

Like mentioned, I that has been like that for about 9 months. It has nothing to do with us, but I am sure it has to do with other factors.

Thanks for the reminder brother. Gulf and I have talked about it and I meant to do it when I was blasting his diff and cover, but we never talked about it.

I prefer the drain hole method to the suction method as the metal usually falls to the metal and the drain location, SHOULD remove it.

Adding to the top post. Location will be updated, when I install the gears in the next week or so.

Gulf, are the parts back from Powdercoat?

Last edited by 54inches; 01-07-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Hi that's my car. Those stubs are not from DSS and were under $250 each.
These stubs were from RCV.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
Thanks, I guess. I am not sure why you are being a dick as I was just messing with you bud.

I guess you were kidding?

can dish not take! I was kidding as well but I guess I should have added one of these
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

I would not recommend it, you'd be drilling into it and pushing metal shavings into your rear end. With no effective method to ensuring you get all the shavings out, I would not do it in the car.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not recommend it, you'd be drilling into it and pushing metal shavings into your rear end. With no effective method to ensuring you get all the shavings out, I would not do it in the car.
That doesn't make sense, unless you're assuming that the thing is assembled while you're tapping it.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
That doesn't make sense, unless you're assuming that the thing is assembled while you're tapping it.
"in the car" not sure who installs the differential in the car with it not being assembled?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have put helicoils in aluminum heads while on the car. Just use grease on the tap. While drilling keep blowing the chips out. I can't imagine you would get more than a few slivers of aluminum in there. Just wash it out with brake parts cleaner. A couple of small aluminum shavings wouldnt kill it anyway people worry way too much.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have put helicoils in aluminum heads while on the car. Just use grease on the tap. While drilling keep blowing the chips out. I can't imagine you would get more than a few slivers of aluminum in there. Just wash it out with brake parts cleaner. A couple of small aluminum shavings wouldnt kill it anyway people worry way too much.
This ^^^
Its a pretty common way to drill and tap on the vehicle. Lots of thick grease to catch the majority then flush it with old fluid because any stragglers will be right by the hole.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmargo
This ^^^
Its a pretty common way to drill and tap on the vehicle. Lots of thick grease to catch the majority then flush it with old fluid because any stragglers will be right by the hole.
while that may be, thats no guarantee you are getting them all, and on the heads there is nothing you are drilling or tapping that can go into the crankcase to damage bearings (unless you're under the valve covers) everything else either goes into coolant (who cares), intake (no no), or exhuast (who cares). Using a blow gun in this situation would only blow shavings into the housing where they should not be. Also do you apply grease to the drill bit? I dont see that catching many shavings. Also alot of the guys here are using cast iron housings not aluminum. Then there is using gear oil as a flushing fluid, which I can only imagine is very effective in doing so. It is not worth the risk IMO. Too much hassle if something did go wrong, and $. With all that said, yes it could be done. I however will not be doing it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

can dish not take! I was kidding as well but I guess I should have added one of these
No worries at all brother. Thanks for our help. PM me what you spent on the inners.

Agree 100%, but grease on a tap DOES work wonders.

I attached a pdf graph showing MPH v. RPMs using 3.31s, 3.55s & 3.73s.

Someone had mentioned that our gear was too deep for our tires.

I tend to disagree. The Final drive ratio is a little low in first gear as optimum for Drag Racing is around 12.0-12.5 IIRC.

I know, I know, these are not drag racing vehicles.....lol

Anyways, 275s fit fine and that is ALOT of tire.

For all around driving, 3.55s look really good and 3.31s look great too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Gear Ratios vs RPMs.pdf (84.4 KB, 244 views)

Quick Reply: DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread