Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Can I change intakes without a tune? Also help me pick out some heads!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012 | 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Default Can I change intakes without a tune? Also help me pick out some heads!

Ok, so Im trying to make the V faster as I believe everyone should. However Im doing so on a fairly tight budget, mainly because I went supporting mods first i.e. monster stage 3 clutch with 18lbs fw, CS 8.8 etc. What I would like to know is can I take an ls6 intake with the grafted 90mm spout and a P&P ls2 TB and slap it on my car with out a tune? I have CAI, 1 7/8 catless headers w/magnaflow cat back already with out a tune. Wondering how far i can go bolting on before Im really hurting myself or the motor. While easing into dropping alot of coin, instead of dropping it all at once!

Which leads me to the future...what heads can i run? or what are the best bang for the buck? If I understand correctly I cannot run stage 3 (either patriot or tea) heads on a stock bore/CI? I know the AFR heads are great but a little pricey. I plan on going full heads, cam, timing, oil pump, ls7 lifters, and rockers at the same time so...yeah just new to the LS head market and looking to keep the cost of the heads around 1800 or less. Any help would be awesome! and thanks in advance!

Lastly, I don't remember where I saw a set of rockers once, but I saw a set of rockers for an LS that can add 40-50hp just from the rockers!? I remember something about shaft mounted and riding on a film of oil...? around 1500-1800 a set? Thats something I would rack up on the CC for that kinda freeing HP. Cannot remember who made them or if they are real...sound familiar to any one?
Old 10-19-2012 | 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
What I would like to know is can I take an ls6 intake with the grafted 90mm spout and a P&P ls2 TB and slap it on my car with out a tune? I have CAI, 1 7/8 catless headers w/magnaflow cat back already with out a tune. Wondering how far i can go bolting on before Im really hurting myself or the motor. While easing into dropping alot of coin, instead of dropping it all at once!
That setup would be running very lean anywhere above 4500rpm. You could do some damage to your engine if you were to drive aggressively with that setup without a tune.

Which leads me to the future...what heads can i run? or what are the best bang for the buck? If I understand correctly I cannot run stage 3 (either patriot or tea) heads on a stock bore/CI? I know the AFR heads are great but a little pricey. I plan on going full heads, cam, timing, oil pump, ls7 lifters, and rockers at the same time so...yeah just new to the LS head market and looking to keep the cost of the heads around 1800 or less. Any help would be awesome! and thanks in advance!
This is probably your best option for that budget:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4-prc-s...ted-heads.aspx

Lastly, I don't remember where I saw a set of rockers once, but I saw a set of rockers for an LS that can add 40-50hp just from the rockers!? I remember something about shaft mounted and riding on a film of oil...? around 1500-1800 a set? Thats something I would rack up on the CC for that kinda freeing HP. Cannot remember who made them or if they are real...sound familiar to any one?
Is that a joke? They're rockers. The only thing you need to worry about with those is that they clear the valve covers and don't break under increased spring pressure. There are some minor benefits to having rockers with roller tips, but nowhere near 40-50 hp.
Old 10-19-2012 | 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

wasn't a joke, but what are the best rockers for these cars?
Old 10-19-2012 | 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're on a budget, the stock rockers should be fine for a majority of applications.
Old 10-19-2012 | 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

wasn't a joke, but what are the best rockers for these cars?
Check out the Comp Cams #1500 system.
Old 10-19-2012 | 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

a tune will get u more power than bolting all that crap on.. the tune is more important than any bolton.
Old 10-19-2012 | 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get to NYC and I'll tune it for you.
Old 10-19-2012 | 12:52 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

If you are stepping up from a 78mm throttle body to a ported 90mm (or, even an unported) you will definitely need a tune before it will run. You have to change the throttle body scaler in the tune to account for the additional surface area of the blade. Otherwise, all calculations will be based off flow through a 78mm bore instead of a 90mm bore.

I would go ahead and drop the coin on HP Tuners or EFI Live if you plan on making incremental changes over time so that you can learn to tune it yourself and have the one time investment.
Old 10-19-2012 | 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98cobra
Get to NYC and I'll tune it for you.
Well I would but I'm moving to Texas in Jan and Im already here. car will be coming down in jan along with.

[QUOTE=DMM;16824434]If you are stepping up from a 78mm throttle body to a ported 90mm (or, even an unported) you will definitely need a tune before it will run. You have to change the throttle body scaler in the tune to account for the additional surface area of the blade. Otherwise, all calculations will be based off flow through a 78mm bore instead of a 90mm bore. I would go ahead and drop the coin on HP Tuners or EFI Live if you plan on making incremental changes over time so that you can learn to tune it yourself and have the one time investment.[/QUOTE

I think what I'll end up doing is just slowing buying the parts and storing them till one day I have eveything needed and then throw it all on at once and then have it dyno tuned.
Old 10-19-2012 | 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

I have these on order. Hope they're worth it!
Old 10-19-2012 | 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those are what I have on my V.
Old 10-25-2012 | 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

If you skimp on everything else, don't skimp on the heads. AFRs will give you not only peak power, but torque under the curve to pull that weight. If I were you, I'd invest the most in the heads, because that's where all the power is made. You said you'd like to keep the heads budget around 1800, which is more than enough for used 205s, but you won't regret the extra 400-500 for a brand new set of 210s. Trust me.
Old 10-25-2012 | 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BudRacing

I have these as well with Torquer 3 Cam from Texas Speed, made 423 to the wheels which for the money invested I was happy with.

I also just added an LS2 ported throttle body and now trying to bumble my way through HP tuners to make the necessary changes!

Quick Reply: Can I change intakes without a tune? Also help me pick out some heads!