Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ground control noise???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground control noise???

I recently installed the ground control kit on my 05 V. I absolutely love the stance and the the way the car handles now but there's a strange squeak coming from the front end now. To me it sounds like the springs aren't sitting in the perches the right way or they are bound up and twisting on the perch. Anyone else have this problem and if so what's the fix?

Jim
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's sometimes an indication that you need to crank that set screw on the gold ring harder. If you have really low rate springs (e.g. 450/500 lbs), you might want to try rotating the spring slightly so that you have better clearance to the steel ring (see the silver thing in this picture?) at the top of the shock body if you forgot to leave it off. Check for scuff marks on the inside of the spring in that area. You may be experiencing intermittent contact there.

Also, it's probably worth taking the shock tower brace off, removing the center caps, and making sure that the nuts at the top of the shocks are tight. At this point, you won't be able to tighten them all the way down, because the shaft will spin under any significant torque, but if it's really loose, you'll still be able to tighten it down until all of the threads engage.

Oh, and by the way--if you ever want to change your spring rates, I've got 8-10 extra Eibach springs sitting in a box here. Lots of spring math and a little brute force experimentation.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 11-18-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it seems like this was a common issue from what i have read on the forums. (no personal experience). do a search and see what comes up. i remember some guys running some bearing washers and all sorts of things
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
it seems like this was a common issue from what i have read on the forums. (no personal experience). do a search and see what comes up. i remember some guys running some bearing washers and all sorts of things
You're talking about the Feffman fix, which is designed to eliminate the clunk in the rear shock assembly. It works...but that's not what he's describing.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it metal or rubber squeak, or both?

My main guess is the top silver perch is twisting and rubbing against the inverted rubber mount. This can happen if the shock shaft turns when you're wrenching down on the last threads.

This has only happened to me a couple if times. I usually just loosen the top shock bolt, bounce it, let it settle, then tighten it again..but if it's squeaking the rubber is dry.

I use tube lithium grease between the top of the perch and the rubber,it solves the problem.In a pinch you can remove the wheel and spray some up in between there if you have the can style with the straw. Try it..

I also use a very small amount of the grease between the springs and perches. Seems to keep the odd squeaks away.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

grease worked for me except when it rained. I only took my car out about twice in MILD rain conditions, and they squeaked really bad for a couple days after that
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

op, grease that sh+t and report back yo
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a metallic creaking noise at low speeds. Sounds more like the pearch rather than anything else. The top shock bolt is soaked with loc-tite so I doubt that's it. Ill try just a little bit of grease as soon as I have a day off and see what the deal is.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You're talking about the Feffman fix, which is designed to eliminate the clunk in the rear shock assembly. It works...but that's not what he's describing.
No, this was for the GC kit:

This thread on here alludes to it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ilovers-2.html

But unfortunately cadillacforums seems to think that old post are useless and does not maintain the backlog...

A few years ago some people were getting creative with the front shocks on the GC kit to eliminate a sqeak (besides lubricating all the time). seems like it was more pronounced after it rained/the car got wet.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

grease it. if you live in a rain forest it might take more frequent treatments. Get the good stuff, it lasts longer.

There are no other fixes. Some guys used those torsion release bearings between the perch and spring but those are designed more for ease of adjustability under weight rather than noise suppression, and they are basically worthless.

Quick Reply: Ground control noise???