Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V turns over but won't Fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012 | 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

He has already stated that he gets the 2 second prime voltage to the pump and still had no fuel pressure at the rail or out of the rubber lines attached to test it once he cut the hole in the floor. Sounds like a pump to me.
Old 12-09-2012 | 02:32 PM
On The Tree

BTW, I sprayed some ether in just as a last check cuz I found some and it did start for a few seconds. Confirms it's fuel. I have a friend at a Cadillac dealer apparently and he gave the tool to remove the locking ring and a fuel pump and float for an awesome price. hopefully I can get it all in today an dbe able to drive to work tomorrow!
Old 12-09-2012 | 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Am i the only one who thinks spraying ether into a high compression motor is just dangerous and dumb? Easy way to vapor lock a motor. And with the weak rods of the stock ls you wont catch me dead spraying ether any where near my v.
Old 12-09-2012 | 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Am i the only one who thinks spraying ether into a high compression motor is just dangerous and dumb? Easy way to vapor lock a motor. And with the weak rods of the stock ls you wont catch me dead spraying ether any where near my v.
It wasn't an additive, just to see if it would run.

Also, the ether comes out a gas not a liquid.

There is more volatile **** people have dumped down an LS motor.
Old 12-09-2012 | 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Military trucks had screw on ether canisters that looked like small propane bottles for cold starts and those are diesels. If you can use it on 25:1 compression I thinkit will be ok on 10 to one.
Old 12-09-2012 | 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by heavymetals
It wasn't an additive, just to see if it would run.

Also, the ether comes out a gas not a liquid.

There is more volatile **** people have dumped down an LS motor.
Vapor lock, not hydro lock.

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
Military trucks had screw on ether canisters that looked like small propane bottles for cold starts and those are diesels. If you can use it on 25:1 compression I thinkit will be ok on 10 to one.
Complete different fuel/ different ball game. And you can hurt diesel engines from too much ether as well. Also diesel military trucks of the day lacked glow plugs. Put some glow plugs on there then spray some ether down its throat and see what happens. Also, when you use ether to start those truck after a while they become "ether dependent" and will not start without it, just an example of how ether can damage your engine.

Ether is a volatile fuel and unpredictable. The good thing is that the OP and most are using terrible ether that at best is maybe 40% actual ether. Whereas if you buy some quality stuff of 80% or better you are living dangerously.

The use of ether is not the way to start or diagnose a vehicle. The OP could have easily had a spray bottle with gas to do what he did, and not risk damage to the pistons/rings/rods.

Put it this way, do you run 87 octane in your V? No? Why not? Fear of spark knock, and detonation? Oh, I see, so let’s try using something way more volatile than 87.

Like I said earlier, Not I.
Old 12-09-2012 | 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vapor lock is almost unheard of in a fuel injected motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

Furthermore, he didn't have any fuel flow to begin with.
Old 12-09-2012 | 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Vapor lock is almost unheard of in a fuel injected motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

Furthermore, he didn't have any fuel flow to begin with.
Yeah, when using gasoline! Ether atomizes once it leaves the can and becomes a gas! And its obvious he did not have any fuel flow to begin with, there were many signs for that, no pressure at the rail, pump not running etc. When using ether that is the fuel! you do not need any other for a vapor lock to occur. what was spraying ether going to do for him? Say that the motor will run on ether!? Duh! Tell him he has spark? Much safer ways to figure that out.

So you are telling me, that if you took your car to be serviced you would be ok if they pulled out the ether can as a diagnostic tool?

Ya know, I'm done arguing you do as you do with your car. I will leave ether to the Alaskan diesels.

EDIT: Your source wikipedia "Incidence with other fuels

The higher the volatility of the fuel, the more likely it is that vapor lock will occur."

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 12-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2012 | 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

"as a fuel"

You can't even read.

it was being used as a starting fluid, and I guess it was for the warm fuzzy feeling that his problem was fuel supply and that he had spark.

Ether has been used as a starting fluid for longer then you or I have been around.
Old 12-09-2012 | 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

"as a fuel"

You can't even read.

it was being used as a starting fluid, and I guess it was for the warm fuzzy feeling that his problem was fuel supply and that he had spark.

Ether has been used as a starting fluid for longer then you or I have been around.
Are you serious? What are you talking about "as a fuel"? I can't read=true story. If the OP used the ether as a "STARTING FLUID" when there was no fuel in the system and the car ran, if even for a moment, what fuel was running the engine?

Hey man, I'm done. You sir are correct and I apologize for doubting you.
Old 12-09-2012 | 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ether "ran" the car for a few moments.

That does not make it a good "fuel".

It does make a highly combustible gas though.
Old 12-10-2012 | 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys. Good talk.

Well the car is up and running again. Got the new pump in and everything is good in the world again. It did turn out to be the short that everyone is talking about. Just not as bad as some others I've seen. The negative side is melted a little and the underside has a weird melted bubble thing.

The replacement was kind of a pain in the ***, but not too bad really. Thank you guys for your assistance!

I'll see if I can get some pics up soon for you guys. I used silicone to close the hole, just waiting for it to dry until I put the seat back in
Old 12-10-2012 | 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats!

You do know that according to the "modders law" you are now allowed to spend four times what you saved on new mods...........
Old 12-10-2012 | 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Congrats!

You do know that according to the "modders law" you are now allowed to spend four times what you saved on new mods...........
But I saved so much money!! Tell you what tho, being back on this site already has me looking at mods again. I have been good for 2 years and barely anything is done to my car, so it's long overdue. I could finish the blower kit I sware I've been working on. I thought I had an exhaust leak after all this and almost got on to buy longtubes earlier too haha.

And for anyone wondering, you can easily hear the fuel pump. I was killing myself trying to figure out if I was hearing it or not, but it's a pretty obvious sound. You can hear the fuel Woosh through the lines too.
Old 12-10-2012 | 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

did u cut an access hole? or drop the tank?
Old 12-10-2012 | 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Access hole. I don't have the required equipment or time to drop the tank in my garage since you have to drop the exhaust and rear end and all that too from what I've heard.

Buttoned it back up with silicone.
Old 12-10-2012 | 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got any pics of where u cut it?
Old 12-13-2012 | 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately I had to cut the hole a little bigger to use the special tool to get the pump out. That locking ring is in there TIGHT!
Old 12-13-2012 | 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good pics.

You can certainly see the burnt pin and connector.

Quick Reply: V turns over but won't Fire