Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone drive their V in the snow/winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone drive their V in the snow/winter?

It snowed here about 4" inches or so while I was away for Christmas, got back and streets in town were snow packed and all covered. I've currently got some Hankook 245/40/19 summer tires on my 05 and pretty much get stuck any time I come to a complete stop if there is snow or ice on the ground. Does anyone here run snow tires on their V, and if so how does it do?

I don't have another car to drive around and just need something to get to the store for groceries and stuff like that. Would it be worth trying to put some snow tires on her or should I look for a fwd clunker for about $1000?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried driving her in snow once..got about a mile out, turned around and took her home... Spend a grand and get a dd with awd... You'll thank yourself later
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

^yup. there is another thread on here on this topic. seems some put snow tires on them and drive them. I call them brave. I know my V is about as good at driving in snow as I am walking on ice.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine does ok with snow tires. We don't get a ton at a time in Pittsburgh. You just have to go slow and keep your foot out of it.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My V in snow =

Old 12-26-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't taken my V in the snow, but it should be the same as a torquey RWD truck. Make sure you have either good AS or snow tires, put some sandbags in the back if you got em, keep the traction control on and drive like your grandma.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Dactari says is true, you just have to know what you're doing really. My V is my daily driver here in MN and while there are better cars the V does alright with the Hankook snow tires on.

Like you said OP I have been on flat ground in FWD cars that had summer tires on them - they turn rock hard and have no grip on snow or hard packed snow/ice.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kueblerkt
I've currently got some Hankook 245/40/19 summer tires
The summer tires are the problem, as mentioned, they get rock hard and aren't any good below 40°

Last year I bought a beater Civic and now I have about $5k into it. I'd say just buy some snow tires or good all seasons (Continental DWS are nice) and drive it. If I had it to do over again, that's what I would do.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would strongly recommend against all seasons if you get more than flurries. Leaving the electronic nannies on is a given.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I drove my V home in a snow storm. Scared myself nearly to death and nursed it into a hotel.

Then yesterday I tried to drive to work. Made it 5 minutes out and then spent 15 minutes getting her back in to the garage where she belongs.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Wasnt supposed to snow that whole weekend. THis was 2-3 hours After picking the car up in indiana.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

I drive my V all year. I have Hakka 5s as my snow tires. In the snow I'm more nervous about other drivers than myself. I also have a hill to drive up to get into my house and its easier for me to get up the hill then awd cars with all seasons.

They are a bit of a liability when the road is dry, I can break them free in 3rd gear, but I just drive the car slower and more gentle till spring.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Launching!

I run A/S tires on all 4 corners, but in Winter I swap out the rears for Winter tread(on 2 extra wheels). Then I put the two extra A/S tires and wheels in the trunk for ballast.

It's certainly no replacement for 4WD, but seems to work out ok so far. Though I have yet to try it in more than 5-6 inches of snow. Not sure if I'd want to or not.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM
JDB
Launching!

You bet... swap to another set of wheels with Blizzaks. Sure, my A4 Quattro was many times better at winter, but a V is doable as long as you don't drive on packed snow for more than the 1at snow fall...I fear hardened snow/ice would damage the front number cover namely the lip.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

For reference, I do live in Utah, right at the mouth of Provo canyon. We get lots of snow.

I have always owned RWD vehicles (trucks, Mustang GT) and never had any issues driving in the snow--as long as I had good tires. Unfortunately BFG Comp-2's don't qualify as "good tires" in these conditions, so I got some Dunlop M3 winter tires today. Now it handles just fine in the snow.

I'd rather oversteer all day long with RWD than have that single "oh fuuuk" understeer moment with a FWD. Get some snow tires and drive on.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I run nittos sn2 snow tires from early november to early april. Along with a few bags of sand in the trunk. It does fine as long as you give yourself time to get somewhere and are not in a hurry. Also if you start in second gear from a stop helps keep from spinning. I live at 5000+ feet in Wyoming. I have pushed snow with the front splitter with no problems.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the above again. It spins extremely easily but it does go, even if it is slowly in conditions as phizzat described.

Steeper hills can be an issue but that only applies to my driveway here in MN.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

A manual with low rpm tq makes driving this vehicle easy in the winter with good rubber. Start in 2nd and skip gears and be gentle with your inputs.

I have had many fwd cars in the past and this is better than all of them in the snow.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

The V may not be a mountain goat, but with proper (snow) tires on it I think it does just fine. The fact that it has ABS, TC and Stability Control are all big advantages IMO compared to a lot of other, older RWD cars that I see folks driving in the winter. Winter driving confidence and skill I think play a huge role in navigating any car in winter conditions. That's not a jab at anyone, that's just the way it is - some folks are better able to manage a vehicle in slick conditions, so they're willing to have the car moving around in ways that others wouldn't feel comfortable with.

I've driven mine through various conditions during a couple of cross-country treks in the middle of winter. Here it is at Bryce Canyon National Park in UT - I was the first vehicle of any sort on the road in the morning after a couple/few inches of snow. That was on winter tires - I think Dunlop M3s.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

I'd rather look like this in snow

Quick Reply: Anyone drive their V in the snow/winter?